[1.10.0] S.A.V.E - automatic backup system - 1.10.0-3173

Nereid

On 11.5.2016 at 1:06 PM, blu3wolf said:

Are you going to update Github with the new version? Or should CKAN look for updates at Spacedock?

Spacedock. I often forget to sync Github.

On 26.2.2016 at 0:08 AM, Deimos Rast said:

So, I like the concept of this mod a lot, as my game is fairly unstable (never had a corrupted save, mind you, just a lot of crashes). However, I found myself running low on hard drive space and when I went to see was the culprit was...it was your mod. Or rather, the backup folder, which is 138.6gb and contains 70,567 items. Is this normal behavior? I highly doubt it, and maybe I have the save interval too high, but I thought there was a delete after x number of days feature which should clear out out saves, and I've manually cleared out past backups myself once or twice for dead games.

Looking over the settings below, and thinking about it now, my max number of backups is set to 200, which seems extremely high. Even still, looking at the save directory in KSP, the save game files don't seem to take up that much space, and 200 of them surely doesn't equal 138.6gb.

Anyway, I'm confused where these high numbers are coming from, but my settings do seem on the high side, so maybe that's it. I hate to say it, but I've had to uninstall the mod and delete all the backups, because I literally got a warning saying I only had 7mb of space left while writing this. Again, not saying any of this is your fault or normal behavior - I have a lot (a lot) of mods installed, so there could be some issues some where.

Linux, 64 bit

Well, 14 days and a backup every hour (for each game) can give you about 50 backups per game. If you have many quicksaves, ships, etc. it will copy ALL of them into a new folder. There is no incremental or differential backup implemented.

But you can compress the backups and set the max number of backups and/or the days to a lower value. And maybe there is some kind of problem if you are running under linux. I do not have the time to test under linux at the moment.

The default values are very high - for a good reason.

On 5/18/2016 at 3:47 AM, Nereid said:

Well, 14 days and a backup every hour (for each game) can give you about 50 backups per game. If you have many quicksaves, ships, etc. it will copy ALL of them into a new folder. There is no incremental or differential backup implemented.

But you can compress the backups and set the max number of backups and/or the days to a lower value. And maybe there is some kind of problem if you are running under linux. I do not have the time to test under linux at the moment.

The default values are very high - for a good reason.

Thanks for the response; however I wouldn;t worry about it at the moment (since my post was three months ago and a lot has changed since then). Unfortunately, I ended up uninstalling the mod because of that, and shortly there after regretted doing so, as I got my first ever corrupted save. Figures.:rolleyes:

But yeah, I was playing pretty much all day everyday, so it no doubt builds up fast. To be clear, your mod did everything it said it would, just in my circumstance it proved to be a bit overzealous.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

All my backups were saying FAILED on the status page, until I switched to using backslashes for my backup path. I'm on Linux, so that is very weird.

EDIT. OK, that didn't work the way I wanted. It created a folder with backslashes in the name in my Gameroot. I want to store my backups on a different filesystem. Symlink time, I guess

Edited by politas

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Speedster159 said:

Any compatibility issues with 1.1.3?

I'm currently using it and haven't seen any problems on the configuration and save side.  I haven't tried a restore yet.  Give it a try on a new, test save and let us know.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2016 at 3:30 AM, Brigadier said:

I'm currently using it and haven't seen any problems on the configuration and save side.  I haven't tried a restore yet.  Give it a try on a new, test save and let us know.

I have one problem, cloning a save doesn't work.  It leaves an empty directory

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I have one problem, cloning a save doesn't work.  It leaves an empty directory

That's strange since the directory structure hasn't changed since 1.1.?.  Then again, when I tried to clone in the previous valid build, I seem to recall it didn't clone properly either.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2016 at 8:54 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

@Nereid

Are you going to be continuing with S.A.V.E.?  It currently has two issues:

1. Not compiled for 1.1.3, although it does seem to work.  At the least, the .version file needs to be updated
  2. Cloning doesn't work

I opened an issue about the cloning problem on github:

I found that the clone function is not working in certain circumstances. One which I was able to isolate:

Start game after fresh install, create game, do single save, then clone. clone directory is created, but nothing done. I saw that the file GameData/S.A.V.E.dat was not created at this time

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 15.10.2016 at 5:00 PM, Luke Duckwalker said:

Is there a way to select which saves to backup?

It will backup all saves automatically. If KSP saves a game S.A.V.E decides if it is eligible for a backup. KSP saves a game at each scene change (e.g. switching from Space Center to Flight will cause a save, recovering a vessel will cause another one). If you have told S.A.V.E to make a backup every 10 minutes, then a backup is done, if the last backup was more than 10 minutes ago (or there is no backup). But just for the game you are playing.

To be honest, I have used it myself a lot in the last few days in my fresh career. For some unknown reason I tend to decline contracts instead of returning to the space center and do not notice it before KSP overwrites my game. [it feels a bit like cheating, but the UI of KSP is a bit weak in the contracts part]

The button "backup all" in the main menu is just for convenience and to "be safe".

Edited by Nereid

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 24.1.2017 at 5:44 AM, SpacedInvader said:

Does this work with 1.2.2?

On 24.1.2017 at 6:07 AM, JAFO said:

It's working for me.. saved my behind a few times recently, in fact.

Hey Nereid,

I liked your mod very much in the past! Great work! :wink:

I love it! Thank you! :wink:

And now I wanted to start a new game with 1.2.2, but I can't find it on CKAN.

Is it possible to update it to KSP 1.2.2 on CKAN?

Edited by N3N

11 hours ago, N3N said:

And now I wanted to start a new game with 1.2.2, but I can't find it on CKAN.

Is it possible to update it to KSP 1.2.2 on CKAN?

Open CKAN, go to the "Settings" menu, and select "Compatible KSP versions". In the window that pops up, check the "1.2" box and click the "Save" button.

Hit the "Refresh" button, and then you'll be able to install S.A.V.E. via CKAN.

Edited by JAFO

• 1 month later...

@Nereid - just wanted to send a little praise your way. This mod is awesome and put simply just WORKS!

I submit as evidence that upon scanning the posts in this thread, it seems like most of the comments over the last few years are mostly "check in" comments about "does this work with xx.xx version of KSP" and it does. Huzzah to Nereid! :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.