[1.4.x] TweakScale v2.3.12(Apr-16)

pellinor

15 hours ago, Fireheart318 said:

I'm working on a mod of my own, how do I make it compatible with this one? I want a tiny jet that breathes oxidizer!

Look at .cfg files for parts that are supported with tweak scale. It is "just" down to write proper additional MM config modules for your new part.
If you need more detailed answer, you will have to wait for someone with more knowledge to tell you exact required values for MM if you can't figure out trough comparison.

Does TweakScale work correctly with the FuelCellArray part, and other parts with ModuleResourceConverter?

I ask because I was playing with weldments, and noticed the cfg files generated for tweaked FuelCellArrays have their INPUT_RESOURCE and OUTPUT_RESOURCE ratios unchanged vs. the unscaled parts.

Thanks!

Edited by Fwiffo

18 hours ago, Fwiffo said:

Does TweakScale work correctly with the FuelCellArray part, and other parts with ModuleResourceConverter?

I ask because I was playing with weldments, and noticed the cfg files generated for tweaked FuelCellArrays have their INPUT_RESOURCE and OUTPUT_RESOURCE ratios unchanged vs. the unscaled parts.

Thanks!

ModuleResourceConverter is treated by scaling "EfficiencyBonus" (you find this sort of info in ScaleExponents.cfg). This was a workaround because those values could not be changed simply by writing ksFields. Side effect is that converters have their efficiency scaled instead of their base values (which leads to an unintuitive efficiency display).

Edit: actually I have no idea how a weldment of differently sized parts should work scaling-wise. Because TweakScale does not scale config values. It scales fields inside the part at a time when the part is already alive. And there is only one rescale factor per part.

Edited by pellinor

9 hours ago, cavilier210 said:

How do you use that change? I see nowhere to download a new dll using that code.

You click the "<> Code" tab, then the easy-to-miss "Download Zip" button on the right, just above the repository directory view. This downloads the complete repository including sources, but TweakScale repositories include up-to-date release binaries inside the GameData subfolder.

/edit

You should probably do that with the dev branch on pellinor's official repository. He's merged emerald's patch with some OPT-compatibility related stuff a few hours ago. A proper release is probably imminent anyway...

Edited by MaxRebo

6 hours ago, MaxRebo said:

You should probably do that with the dev branch on pellinor's official repository. He's merged emerald's patch with some OPT-compatibility related stuff a few hours ago. A proper release is probably imminent anyway...

You also find the zip in the latest dev version link on the first page. You only need the "GameData" folder insinde the zip file.

I love this mod!

I have an issue with the balancing, though. There are a couple ways in which this mod simply and utterly breaks the game.

In particular, being able to scale the SC-9001 Science Jr. down to 0.100m, so that you can fit about 40 of them inside a cargo bay.

This would be alright if 1) their weight didn't change, or at least didn't go as the cube of the radius, or if 2) the corresponding amount of science gained went down, but...

Since you can't tweak the Mysterious Goo part downward, I assume you're not supposed to be allowed to tweak the SC-9001 down either.

There are a couple other parts where this makes an enormous difference:

the MPL-LG-2 Mobile Processing Lab. It should decrease the data/science cap, or decrease the speed, or *something*, or you just shouldn't be able to tweak it at all. The whole point of it being a 2.5m part is that hauling it along with you on your missions is difficult.

SAS Reaction Wheels. They're already broken in a myriad of ways, but as it works now, the 0.625m Small Inline Reaction Wheel, when scaled up to 1.25m, is able to provide many times more torque than the 1.25m Advanced Inline Stabilizer.

I know that TweakScale gives the player *exactly* the sort of freedom which is utterly impossible to balance, but the SC-9001 thing is really big. You get the part so early, and being able to slap a stack of 9 of them on the side of a capsule just makes the early game way too easy.

Edited by JohnWittle

10 minutes ago, JohnWittle said:

In particular, being able to scale the SC-9001 Science Jr. down to 0.300m, so that you can fit about 40 of them inside a cargo bay.
SAS Reaction Wheels. They're already broken in a myriad of ways, but as it works now, the 0.625m Small Inline Reaction Wheel, when scaled up to 1.25m, is able to provide many times more torque than the 1.25m Advanced Inline Stabilizer.

As regards Science parts, as mentioned upthread ad nauseam, "don't do that, then". I mean, a better treatment of science parts would be nice but it's not like Tweakscale makes you abuse it.

How's the torque/mass and torque/EC efficiency on the tweakscaled reaction wheel? I think you may have ended up with a thicker part, more massive, that burns more EC to provide that more torque, but I don't know.

1 hour ago, JohnWittle said:

In particular, being able to scale the SC-9001 Science Jr. down to 0.100m, so that you can fit about 40 of them inside a cargo bay.
This would be alright if 1) their weight didn't change, or at least didn't go as the cube of the radius, or if 2) the corresponding amount of science gained went down, but...

the MPL-LG-2 Mobile Processing Lab. It should decrease the data/science cap, or decrease the speed, or *something*, or you just shouldn't be able to tweak it at all. The whole point of it being a 2.5m part is that hauling it along with you on your missions is difficult.

Science parts will get more expensive when scaled down, so you'll be more inclined to stay closer to the original size.

I'm not too happy with the scaling of crewed parts in general. Just don't want to break compatibility until there is a solid concept where the balancing will go. I have this possibility in mind to split the mod into a core and two sets of configs, something like a career- and an artist's version. This would fit much better to the different target groups, but would probably need someone other than me to make and maintain the career configs. And it would mean that "stock+tweakScale" is no longer a well-defined description.

With reaction wheels I don't see the problem. An enlarged reaction wheel should have the same weight, cost, torque, volume and consumption as several unscaled copies of the same part.

Ah, sorry for repeating an old complaint then.

Why not just do what you do with the goo, and not have it be scalable at all? I searched "SC-9001" in the thread, and you're right in that lots of people have asked about it, but there's too many results for me to try to find an answer to this specific question. Feel free not to answer if you want.

Re: the reaction wheels, I'll do some more side-by-side tests and try to figure out exactly what's going on. My initial understanding was that a Small Inline Reaction Wheel, when scaled up to 1.25m, would provide more torque per electricity... But I now see that it is *four times as massive* (!), at 0.4t to the Advanced Inline Stabilizer's 0.1t. Perhaps the extra 0.3t balances out the additional torque per electricity, but it'd also be nice if decisions like these had some rationale rather than being at the mercy of tiny differences getting blown up by the squared/cubed law.

Not to say that I'm blaming you! A mod like this is so powerful, so wide-reaching, that it'd be impossible to try to balance every single possible scale of every part against its non-scaled counterpart. You have done an excellent job as it is.

Edited by JohnWittle

1 hour ago, JohnWittle said:

My initial understanding was that a Small Inline Reaction Wheel, when scaled up to 1.25m, would provide more torque per electricity...

Did you measure this? If it is the case then something is not correctly scaled. You can find the intended numbers in ScaleExponents.cfg (everything is meant to go with scale^3, so all ratios are preserved).

What you might argue is that 3 is a bit much, because an upscaled reaction wheel often is more torque than you need (and therefore more mass than necessary).

The fact that the parts have different masses makes taking the actual measurement a little problematic; I'd rather just trust your word heh. I'm not sure why I originally thought that, I did do some experiments a while back when trying to understand how tweakscale interpreted reaction wheel torque but I didn't know that the mass of a 0.625m reaction wheel scaled to 1.25m didn't have the same mass as the 1.25m reaction wheel.

So, as far as I can tell, there's no version of TweakScale that actually works with KSP 1.1?  Because the version I have, v2.2.6.1, that I got from GitHub, doesn't work at all.  My output log says, quite literally:  "Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'TweakScale'".  Even though I most definitely have TweakScale installed.  Of course, it does the same thing for quite a few other plugins that are supposedly updated to KSP 1.1, including FSFuelSwitch, so I don't know what's going on.  Just thought I'd mention this.

Hello,

There is something wrong happening when I tweak the scale of a Liquid Hydrogen Tank, from the mod "KSP Interstellar Extended v1.8.9", by the way, this is a 1.1.0 mod, maybe it is because your mod isn’t updated yet.

When I tweak the scale of this tank, it become some sort of center of gravity when I launch the rocket, really weird, check it out xD.

In addition, when I scale the generators, their power output don't scale with it. Doesn't matter if a have a tiny generator or a huge one, always the same output, the Reactors work fine tho.

Just passing to report this, great mod tho, good luck, cya.

Alright, I uploaded a new update for IFS which fixes an issue in 1.21 with caused IFS to generate negative mass, which would result in anti gravity effect, making your rocket float away from Kerbin. The new version can be downloaded from here

It was an "Interstellar Extended" problem, sorry to bother :/

Edited by Felipe Guimarães

Hummm, one last thing, I got a great idea for a mod, actually an update for one. This is by far the best mod I have ever used, could easily be one of the top 5 most downloaded mods of the curse community.

There was someone updating it, but he is away for a while, by the way, he did not published the updates, and I think that is the reason this mod have not reach the top list.

Updating it should not be that hard, I guess it is just a matter of fixing the interface, so it is not invisible for the 1.1.0 version. but I'm not a modder or anything, maybe it's hadder than i think.

By the way, the mod name is “Time Control”, here is the link for the 1.0.5 version of this mod

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/62946-025-time-control-92314-v132/&do=findComment&comment=2396948

Edited by Felipe Guimarães