[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

4 minutes ago, blackrack said:

I already mentioned I will make a setting to fix this.

Current version won't work on 1.1.3, but since 1.2 is not officially released I could make a 1.1.3 release.

Personally I would say wait it out for 1.2 (Probably because I'm not running 1.1.3 anymore, only the pre-release. My words could be completely irrelevant as such) - It's right around the corner judging from the Devnotes (Though the bug tracker is still quite full). I'd hate for you to spend time working on something that will get outdated in one or two weeks :(

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Just now, Avera9eJoe said:

I'd say wait it out for 1.2 - It's right around the corner judging from the Devnotes (Though the bug tracker is still quite full). I'd hate for you to spend time working on something that will get outdated in one or two weeks :(

Just now, Galileo said:

that would be awesome! if its too much work though dont worry about it. like i said the current 1.1.3 version does everything i need minus the renaming sun bit

It's not much work at all actually, just have to copy back the old shader loading mechanism from an older commit. But let me sort out moduleManager compatibility before I do that.

9 hours ago, blackrack said:

I checked again and it appears my fix only works in map view or high orbit. Just disable cloud shadows for now and wait until rbray is back.

hmmm - randomly curious, would it save FPS in any way if scatterer was disabled in map view (Not that I really need more frames)? So that it would only be visible in flight? - I'm imagining somehow turning the map view into a computer generated looking view, Almost homeworld-esque but not quite that simplistic. 

On 10/1/2016 at 9:03 PM, Avera9eJoe said:

hmmm - randomly curious, would it save FPS in any way if scatterer was disabled in map view (Not that I really need more frames)? So that it would only be visible in flight? - I'm imagining somehow turning the map view into a computer generated looking view, Almost homeworld-esque but not quite that simplistic. 

It won't save much.

I love the homeworld map view btw.

Edited:

Alright everyone, I made the necessary changes for ModuleManager compatbility, @Poodmund @Galileo @sDaZe @Nhawks17 @Proot let me know if there are any issues or you have any suggestions. Make sure you include the assetPath when you migrate your configs, see included configs for examples.

I also fixed the issues with EVE cloud shadows interfering with the atmosphere, you need both this version of scatterer and the EVE fix I already posted here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/103963-wip12-scatterer-atmospheric-scattering-v00250-28092016-12-compatibility/&do=findComment&comment=2773471 @KerbalMan23 try this.

This version is released for both 1.2 and 1.1.3, the 1.1.3 version includes the ocean fix and multiple sun flares that weren't previously released for 1.1.3.

Links are in the OP.

Have fun.

Edited by blackrack

10 minutes ago, Galileo said:

you rock @blackrack

Thanks man.

Edited:

Btw @Galileo I just realized I left the planetshine settings in the config file, but that feature is far from finished and is disabled in the .dll files I released, so don't get too excited when you see planetshine entries in the config files :P and don't waste your time fiddling with them either, they're safe to delete.

Edited by blackrack

thats all good! i already set up the nodes for when its ready :) 

also what do i need to change to change the name of the sun just this?

mainSunCelestialBodyName = Sun

or do i also need to change

sunflares
	{
		Item = Sun
	}

or this?

Sun
	{
		//path to sunflare textures
		assetPath = scatterer/config/Sunflares/Sun

ill play around and see

40 minutes ago, Galileo said:

thats all good! i already set up the nodes for when its ready :) 

also what do i need to change to change the name of the sun just this?

mainSunCelestialBodyName = Sun

or do i also need to change

sunflares
	{
		Item = Sun
	}

or this?

Sun
	{
		//path to sunflare textures
		assetPath = scatterer/config/Sunflares/Sun

ill play around and see

Change all three.

You can have multiple flares btw by adding entries in 2 and 3.

I saw that! So cool!

ok so I got everthing running fine but hit one little snag. looks like the godrays are acting up again 

va3HbeZ.png

after entering a facility and exiting it seems to fix it but it returns every now and again

8HZMU9S.png

BTW everything is running really smooth. LOVE the new set up now.

This is probably the best release so far. cant wait for the planet shine!

Edited by Galileo

@blackrack You are flippen amazing!

This new update looks outstanding. and as @Galileo said. Runs super smooth. I only wish I had more mods in my 1.2 and 1.1.3 installs to use them more. (this may be insentive enough to just push me into the new updates.

Hey a quick visual question. I have not seen anyone ask or answer this yet on the forums. The new system in 1.1.3 / 1.2 will cut through textures at an increased distance when zooming in for close ups. (You can see inside parts and Kerbals heads when zoomed way in) Does anyone know of a way to tweak this to have a feel more like 1.0.5? This will hurt me on a Youtube series I have been procrastinating on continuing. May need to keep a 1.0.5 install around just for close ups indoor filming.

Edited by V8jester

34 minutes ago, V8jester said:

Hey a quick visual question. I have not seen anyone ask or answer this yet on the forums. The new system in 1.1.3 / 1.2 will cut through textures at an increased distance when zooming in for close ups. (You can see inside parts and Kerbals heads when zoomed way in) Does anyone know of a way to tweak this to have a feel more like 1.0.5? This will hurt me on a Youtube series I have been procrastinating on continuing. May need to keep a 1.0.5 install around just for close ups indoor filming.

Change "near clip plane" in the config. Default is 1.0, I have it turned down to 0.1 to resolve that problem (although presumably that might cause the Z-fighting with the ocean edges which that setting is meant to fix). 

@blackrack

Just a notice, I think the 1.2.1564 prerelease update broke some mods again, cause they have a new map-open-check, I think.
Much mods now spam a "MissingFieldException: Field '.MapView.MapIsEnabled' not found."

From the changelog: "Added a map toggle interface for add-ons"

Edited by Jebs_SY

43 minutes ago, Jebs_SY said:

@blackrack

Just a notice, I think the 1.2.1564 prerelease update broke some mods again, cause they have a new map-open-check, I think.
Much mods now spam a "MissingFieldException: Field '.MapView.MapIsEnabled' not found."

From the changelog: "Added a map toggle interface for add-ons"

Is this a new version? I'll fix it soon.

4 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Haha I literally just pressed the "build" button and upload a 200kb file

Hey you do a lot around here. And that's saying something when every other post on this thread tends to be "no ocean" or "fix my game with 500 mods in it"

So really thanks man for all the hard work and patients that's more than we can say for a lot of guys on here.