Kerbal Kountdown!!!!

boxley

You should have put it through Q&A.

Those guys and gals are pretty preoccupied at the moment :)

Answers will be posted at some later point

[...] make Garneau an honorary ESA member?

I could make that work. After all, the CSA is an associate member of ESA... :P

Edited by KasperVld

Those guys and gals are pretty preoccupied at the moment :)

Answers will be posted at some later point

I love that you guys are doing this "secret" count-down right in front of us. It is single-handedly the most creative and engaging countdown I have ever seen in the video game industry! Giving your most rabid fans something to do that take some time, effort, sleuthing, and general intelligence really does a great job distracting us from the elephant in the room - all the while not having to do anything to hide said elephant! In fact, the elephant is a central participant.

Really, really big kudos!

Seriously? That's what you guys call a crossword? NASA, ROSCOSMOS, ESA are pretty lousy hints. You guys made a great space program game, but I'm Glad you're not in the Puzzle-game business. These "clues "are going deep into Mun-logic territory. I'm amazed anyone can do these at all!

Seriously? That's what you guys call a crossword? NASA, ROSCOSMOS, ESA are pretty lousy hints. You guys made a great space program game, but I'm Glad you're not in the Puzzle-game business. These "clues "are going deep into Mun-logic territory. I'm amazed anyone can do these at all!

I think it was meant to be a group effort. Throw enough people at even the most Mun-logic problems and you'd be surprised what can get done.

new video *snip*
Hmm.. It shows the new clambering animation and feature plus the female kerbals. I dont know why they would make a stairway on the mun. As I was writing this The end of the video's female kerbal kept smiling at me. I bet its a animation to be fixed.

I think it was meant to be a group effort. Throw enough people at even the most Mun-logic problems and you'd be surprised what can get done.

Eh, fair enough. :huh: I think my earlier prediction about tinfoil hat Tuesday is about right though. These aren't my kind of puzzles :P, but who am I to fault the amazing people who can pull it off?

I guess SQUAD had to keep it interesting after everyone caught on to countdown day.

Hmm.. It shows the new clambering animation and feature plus the female kerbals. I dont know why they would make a stairway on the mun. As I was writing this The end of the video's female kerbal kept smiling at me. I bet its a animation to be fixed.

That's Val, the new BadS female kerbal, now if it were a male kerbal, who do you think it would be? ;)

Eh, fair enough. :huh: I think my earlier prediction about tinfoil hat Tuesday is about right though. These aren't my kind of puzzles :P, but who am I to fault the amazing people who can pull it off?

I guess SQUAD had to keep it interesting after everyone caught on to countdown day.

Vallius,

Working these puzzles is similar to cryptography, which is sort of a hobby of mine.

In both cases, the sender is sending a message that they expect to be decoded in a predictable manner. Also, we have a "crib", since we know what the message will ultimately contain.

Therefore, the riddles are solvable. Pretty quickly, too if you have a bunch of KSP players collaborating :D

Best,

-Slashy

I am one of those who loves puzzles and after a moment looking at the crossword it was clear that it wasn't a 'traditional' crossword, but had words that were associated with various space agencies. Knowing that, it seems likely to me that the words would be names of missions, names of craft, or names of personnel. It only took a few minutes really to rule out missions, and a short time more to see that craft wouldn't likely fit, leaving personnel. Personnel is the hard category because there are so many people who have been in space, but it becomes immediately obvious that some prominent names fit in certain spots. Such as Hadfield, Tereshkova, Eisle, and Aldrin. From that point, it is just a matter of simple research (i.e. pattern matching against a long list) to find possible candidates.

As far as I can tell one or two of the people named in the puzzle are ambiguous because there isn't enough info to uniquely identify the names. Nonetheless, once a number of items begin to fit it becomes clear that a pattern has emerged and (as Slashy mentioned) with several people working cooperatively, it doesn't take too long to piece all the clues together.

That said, Kasper provided a real challenge in this puzzle due to the amount of info one had to peruse in order to find the various words. Even more challenge was provided by the fact that some of the clues provided were incorrect leading to a number of interesting guessing games.

When all is said and done, for a person who loves puzzles this was a lot of fun.

Happy landings!

Oh, don't get me wrong. I love puzzles! I just prefer ones that are a little less ambiguous. I'm better at logic related puzzles than trivia related ones. I'm more of a Sudoku guy than a crossword guy anyway.

I think we're getting off the subject though. KSP 1.0 is only a week away!

The launchpads are meant to carry the weight of the rocket along with the heat from the engines, so, it would be pretty hard to blow them up IMO. Not that I'd WANT them to be blown up.

Its concrete, steel ribbar and some kind of hardened heat-resistant material on top.

You'd need a serious amount of explosives, drilling equipment and heavy machinery to even dent those slabs.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.