Proper Fairings ASAP

How do you want fairings to separate in 1.0?  

644 members have voted

1. 1. How do you want fairings to separate in 1.0?

• Confetti style
    • Clamshell style
    • Adjustable Options (eg: 1,2,3, or 4 clamshell pieces)
    • Do not care/unimportant

Duplicate threads merged, which mostly means that this thread now has a poll.

ALL ACCORDING TO PLAN MUHAHAHAHhahahahaha!

Its only been 40 minutes, but I thought there might be one vote for confetti style, even if its just a dev lol.

i agree that fairings (assuming we cant actually customize how they fall apart) should be in whole pieces and not kessler style. While i personally am not one to give a crap about 100% realism, i feel itd look better splitting into 2-4 whole pieces and not alot of small junk.

Now id very much love to be able to configure how many petals there are when they split, as almost all of my designs use 3 or 6 way symmetry, and id very much like to have the fairings split into 3 or 6 parts as well. Not that im gonna complain if i dont get that option, but itd be nice to keep them with the trend of my sci-fi designs.

Why? Why do people keep assuming this? AFAIK since day one HarvisteR has said that the fairings split off where you choose.

Why? Why do people keep assuming this? AFAIK since day one HarvisteR has said that the fairings split off where you choose.

My read on the situation is that we know we can set the number of longitudinal segments a fairing splits into, but we don't necessarily know how much control we will have over the number of lattitudinal segments. Obviously we should be able to control both.

From the info and images we have, it seems like the fairings split along each point placed on the curve. So every place where the fairing surface changes angle comes apart. This might simply be the easiest way to do it based on how fairings are programmed right now. It needn't be that way though.

Edited by GusTurbo

Alot better option would be for them to add more procedural parts. Just to reduce the number of simmilar parts like different lenght tanks, fairings, girders, wings etc.

I'm not really sure what this post has to do with the fairing separation, but according to the squadcast summary here they've explicitly stated (9th poin in the summary) they don't want to use procedural parts.

Do we really need to be able to control latitudinal breaks? I feel like using the symmetry to set longitudinal breaks and having them clamshell would suit most everyone. I can't think of a situation in which breaking laterally would be of any benefit.

It's the weekend. I wouldn't expect any responses before Tuesday Devnotes.

Not even sure then. I'm under the impression that what we've seen is a WIP and Squad doesn't want to commit to the cleaner separation until they know how much work will be involved.

Hey man, sorry I didn't see this thread.

What Squad need to do is be better than the mods and better than our stock fairings. So, choice is the way to go. Give us some!

Let us choose how many pieces it separates into. Let us choose which sides come off first. Let us choose if they separate into no pieces (inter-stage).

LET US CHOOSE.

Let us choose! Let us choose! Let us choose! :)

LOL, 4% want confetti fairings. Why are they even playing KSP??

Considering that roughly two thirds of the votes are for the 'Adjustable' option, I think there's a larger proportion of people who do like confetti fairings. Personally? As long as the option exists to use confetti or clamshell as people want, I don't feel very strongly either way. There's room for both styles in the game.

Considering that roughly two thirds of the votes are for the 'Adjustable' option, I think there's a larger proportion of people who do like confetti fairings. Personally? As long as the option exists to use confetti or clamshell as people want, I don't feel very strongly either way. There's room for both styles in the game.

"Adjustable Options (eg: 1,2,3, or 4 clamshell pieces)" specifialy precludes confetti style. clamshell variations only.

Well it's a pretty crappy cake.

I mean I agree that clamshell would be better, I just find the crazy entitled tone on this board super weird sometimes. I mean they just showed this huge stack of amazing work--new aero, resources, fairings and new wings and utility bays to boot--just about everything people have been begging for for the last few years, and within minutes it's DEAR GOD THE POTATO CHIPS ARE RUINING MY LIFE SQUAD WHY ARE YOU SO TERRIBLE! How about we just relax for long enough to be excited and thankful for all the crazy cool stuff that's coming before we jump down their throats over fairing separation aesthetics?

I mean I agree that clamshell would be better, I just find the crazy entitled tone on this board super weird sometimes. I mean they just showed this huge stack of amazing work--new aero, resources, fairings and new wings and utility bays to boot--just about everything people have been begging for for the last few years, and within minutes it's DEAR GOD THE POTATO CHIPS ARE RUINING MY LIFE SQUAD WHY ARE YOU SO TERRIBLE! How about we just relax for long enough to be excited and thankful for all the crazy cool stuff that's coming before we jump down their throats over fairing separation aesthetics?

Did you just play the entitlement card unironically?

Look man I really dont want to have a big personal throw-down with you. This wasn't directed specifically at you--it's a general tone I've seen on the board from the barn to female kerbals and a whole bunch of other really minor issues that get blown into the end of KSP as we know it. Constructive criticism is cool and helpful, I just find the intense and totally unnecessary negativity to be a bummer sometimes. Squad is working really hard on this stuff and KSP is incredible. There's nothing like it really. Im just hoping we can have some perspective about these little tweaks, that's all.

Edited by Pthigrivi

Such exaggeration.

Look, we all love KSP and we want 1.0 to be as perfect as it can be so that everybody else (including the reviewers) will love KSP. But Squad has decided to push 1.0 out the door in what some of us think is a rather short timeframe, with possibly insufficient feedback on some of their choices. So when we see something announced that looks like it should be improved, we need to speak fast and loud and hope we get heeded in time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.