The KSP 1.0 Grand Discussion Thread: Conquering Space Was Never This Easy!

KasperVld

Love the update in very limited play so far. The overall feel of changes seems to me to be the biggest expansion/revamp/polish of the game in the time I've been playing (0.19 over two years ago). Lots of new nooks and crannies in the game-space to shake me out of my comfort zone and remind me how much fun it is to learn stuff all over again.

Well done, Squad!

Well, the first thing I did was design one of the few working rockets I have ever designed that got into orbit with plenty of fuel left :) YAY!!! Sadly soon after during bleeding off speed for re-entry, the heat shield ejected for an unknown reason. As Flight Commander, Val made and executive decision and ejected from the capsule to attempt orbit with her E.V.A pack. She ran out of fuel before completing orbit and fell into the atmosphere at 4000+ m/s. Her death was not in vain as she saved Bill and Bob from a fiery demise.

Well, that was a wall of text lol. So far I'm loving 1.0 and can't wait till some of the graphic enhancement mods start supporting it! Next mission? To the Mun of course.

I'm glad to see the official 1.0 version of this game getting released. I had walked away from this game after learning Squad had by and large abandoned working on a stable windows 64 bit version. Still its a great game and I'm glad to see it's still under development post 1.0. Might check out the new features and see if there's enough room for my favorite mods. Congratulations to Squad. I hope they eventually revisit 64 bit with a future Unity 5 version.

Shielded panels can. It adds a reason for using the heavier parts because nobody ever bothered to before.

But there are no shielded versions of the large pannels which now double as heat sinks for drills and need to be retracted if the ship is to take off again.

Edited by Vorg

Ooof, bendy rocket sure is bendy. This design certainly didn't wobble like that in .90 with FAR.

The new atmosphere probably makes wobbling worse, but on top of that, Squad doubled to quadrupled the gimbal range of the lifting engines. I suspect that SAS needs to be retuned.

the first thing i did in 1.0 was fly jeb in a plane to the anomaly north of ksc. then i planted a flag there. then i sent jeb, bill, bob, and val to the mun. truth be told, all i wanted to do was see if i could get to orbit. a mun return was fairly more than i expected. bob should have died ten times over and he ran out of eva fuel a kilometre from the ship. i had to fly it to him, then it fell over. i had to roll it to him, then get it back upright, then walk him the rest of the way to it. he didn't have eva fuel left so i had to tip the ship back over so he could jump inside. then i put it back upright. each kerbal got something on the mun named after them. jeb got a terrain glitch. val got a crater. bill got a rock. just a rock. sorry, bill. bob got multiple holes in his space suit and a canyon. they didn't die because video game. so yeah.

- - - Updated - - -

we need 2.5 and 3.75 meter liquid fuel tanks for nuclear engine-using ships

GXLlYon.jpg

God what a completely stock MONSTER. Beautiful ship, atmosphere is so much fun to fly in now. I can easily explodinate her against mach 4 below 10k and a few klicks from the space center, and on a straight 45 climb I can put her up to an apoapis of about 120 kilometers reliably. Handles like a top fighter IRL, just a beautiful update to the atmosphere and engines.

The new atmosphere probably makes wobbling worse, but on top of that, Squad doubled to quadrupled the gimbal range of the lifting engines. I suspect that SAS needs to be retuned.

It's a lot wobblier, even in space. I thought SAS was broken during my first attempt at a munar expedition and what happened was that the command pod was wobbling a lot - putting the service module on top instead of below helped, but I had to strut it. Time to check if Kerbal Joints Reinforcement works with 1.0

Thoughts after 10 hours of play in 1.0.0.830 on Normal difficulty:

First and foremost: I am having a blast (sometimes literally)! Thanks, Squad for another excellent update!

I'm pluggin' and chuggin' through the tree and the building upgrades. I find the cost/reward balance to be just right. Not too easy, not too grindy. Good job on the transition from the early to mid-game. The expanded tech tree soaks up the science, and the building upgrades seem reasonably priced.

The new heat and aerodynamics add new challenges which are fun and challenging to work through. I've had to revert more than a few times getting my launch profiles nailed down. Lesson learned: get out of atmo before obtaining orbital velocity. The previous "horizon at 50k" ascent has exploded more stuff for me than anything else. Getting stuff back intact from Mun and Minmus is a bit trickier as well. ~34k periapsis seems to be the sweet spot for lowering the apoapsis without vaporization.

There are a lot of rescue missions, which I like. Perhaps too many though. I'd suggest upping the tourism % and lowering the rescue % on contracts.

I've unlocked planes, but haven't messed with them yet. That will be tomorrow's focus.

Kudos on striking the balance between fun and challenging in the early game. I'm looking forward to getting the tech for interplanetary missions unlocked and seeing how the mid to late game transition works out. :)

Is the first contract "Launch a New Vessel" broken for anyone else? No matter how many times I launch things it will not complete for me. It seems to be preventing me from getting any higher-tier contracts too.

This update seems to load faster and perform better on my computer.

I'm in love with everything about the update, but man - I cannot seem to go to space today. All of my rockets wind up with the fiery bit pointing upwards in the new Atmo.

Apparently, it's because rockets in atmosphere have a much lower tolerance for pointing in a direction other than prograde.

Also, I love the new camera shake effects, but the default setting is way too much (I prefer 0.5).

Edited by Pipcard

Okay. So we have science. And a new Whackeneering episode cooking. I slapped together a shabby looking Arkingthaad style tower lander, sans legs, just to see how it'll handle. Didn't measure anything, didn't have a plan, just threw things at the wall until it started throwing things back.

So at one point I want boom. So I take what I've made, slap it on the pad, and press spacebar. Then this happens.

9gtUqYa.jpg

Just... what do I say to that? This prototype just checked the SSTO box. My mind is in pieces.

I was pretty impressed when I started up the game, knowing next to nothing about what this update actually brought. I have been off the hype train on this one to continue giving myself some downtime from KSP to "start fresh" with 1.0, haven't "really" played since .25. Seemed like things were more balanced, got some new parts, and the new atmospheric flight model... All good stuff. Then I read this list of features and fixes and all I can say is WOW. Well done, well freaking done. Now back to trying not to burn up in the atmosphere :)

Engine thrust now varies according to Isp and throttle setting, instead of the other way around.

Can someone please explain this line?

Does it mean that thrust now scales with Isp, instead of fuel consumption scaling with Isp?

Is the first contract "Launch a New Vessel" broken for anyone else? No matter how many times I launch things it will not complete for me. It seems to be preventing me from getting any higher-tier contracts too.

Same here. I've launched 5 missions and still won't register as complete. Even completed all the early atttitude and speed mission including orbit.