[1.0.2]Corvus -Size 1, two Kerbal command pod(Version 1.1.1)

Orionkermin

Would anyone be interested in doing a set of community fixes, like with HGR? I don't have any modding experience, so it probably couldn't be me. I know that lot's of people use this mod, including me, and I'd love to see it working in 1.1.

• 5 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Gauga159 said:

Finally! i found corvus again But why it isn't on CKAN anymore?

You'll notice that the first thread post hasn't been updated since June 2015. And that the there are two download links; one on the generally hated curseforge (I don't mind it, it's reliable), and one on Kerbalstuff. Kerbalstuff has ceased to exist. As the mod author obviously did not find the time to update his links, the CKAN version is still pointing to the Kerbalstuff download that no longer exists.

Edited by Kerbart

Does this still work in 1.1? I'll be away from my computer for a few days, so I can't test it myself.

[EDIT:] It seems to have the same issues as in 1.0.5, namely the sinking. I've been trying to work on some fixes, but I don't have any experience. Help would be appreciated!

Edited by Panel

• 3 months later...

Is this orphaned?  I truly miss having a stock-sized 2 seat craft - as well as the inline RCS with parachute.  It just makes sense. This lets Gemini-Agena missions exist.  And even after I move on to bigger capsules, I use them all the time for rescues until the time where I have a space station and "space tug" set up.  And I have to admit, I always thought the Gemini was the coolest looking rocket.  I would do it myself, except I do not have a clue on how to do the dotnet stuff and textures, etc - back wehn i was a coder, ti was all Unix/Linux system-services stuff (old school) in C/C++/Perl /shell(awk and sed). Plus I'm deep into my second career in RL right now (cardiology), finishing off an advanced degree so I really do not have the spare cycles to code, barely any to play.

If someone does take this up, be sure to post a patreon link, I'd love to buy you a couple pizzas and a case of beverages of your choice.

Edited by Murdabenne
typo

2 hours ago, Murdabenne said:

Is this orphaned?  I truly miss having a stock-sized 2 seat craft - as well as the inline RCS with parachute.  It just makes sense. This lets Gemini-Agena missions exist.  And even after I move on to bigger capsules, I use them all the time for rescues until the time where I have a space station and "space tug" set up.  And I have to admit, I always thought the Gemini was the coolest looking rocket.  I would do it myself, except I do not have a clue on how to do the dotnet stuff and textures, etc - back wehn i was a coder, ti was all Unix/Linux system-services stuff (old school) in C/C++/Perl /shell(awk and sed). Plus I'm deep into my second career in RL right now (cardiology), finishing off an advanced degree so I really do not have the spare cycles to code, barely any to play.

If someone does take this up, be sure to post a patreon link, I'd love to buy you a couple pizzas and a case of beverages of your choice.

Unfortunately, OrionKermin released all his mods under All Rights Reserved, making them very hard to be maintained.

10 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Unfortunately, OrionKermin released all his mods under All Rights Reserved, making them very hard to be maintained.

Why in the world would anyone do that?  You cannot commercialize them, so why not share?  SMH. I wish there was a way to contact the author.  Well, we can always wait 75 years for the copyrights to expire... :P

14 minutes ago, Murdabenne said:

Why in the world would anyone do that?  You cannot commercialize them, so why not share?  SMH. I wish there was a way to contact the author.  Well, we can always wait 75 years for the copyrights to expire... :P

I agree with your sentiments, but it's also their prerogative to choose their own license, even if they choose...less than optimally.

Perhaps @Kerbas_ad_astra who does the HGR community fixes could be persuaded to look into this one (same author). It's quite small. The issue becomes one of redistribution though.

On the other hand, I'm using this mod + the extras just fine currently. I've made a number of personal changes though, can't remember how many of them were necessary or just for flavor.

1 hour ago, Murdabenne said:

People are animals. Even if everyone acted with the best interests of the community in mind, it's easy to think of nightmare scenarios where the original creator of the mod has to deal with issues that were not created by him (or even he managed to avoid in his version, but someone else decided to "improve" it with a fork). A quick search around this forum will reveal many of those cases and that's why it's not uncommon for authors to pick restrictive licenses.

On a different note, assuming you're referring to US law (as many will now point out that 99% of this forum is not from the US), copyright does not expire after 75 years. Anything published after Disney's “Steamboat Willy” has indefinite copyright (the duration of copyright gets extended with 25 years every 25 years), at least in the US. YMMV depending on where you live though.

17 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

People are animals. Even if everyone acted with the best interests of the community in mind, it's easy to think of nightmare scenarios where the original creator of the mod has to deal with issues that were not created by him (or even he managed to avoid in his version, but someone else decided to "improve" it with a fork). A quick search around this forum will reveal many of those cases and that's why it's not uncommon for authors to pick restrictive licenses.

On a different note, assuming you're referring to US law (as many will now point out that 99% of this forum is not from the US), copyright does not expire after 75 years. Anything published after Disney's “Steamboat Willy” has indefinite copyright (the duration of copyright gets extended with 25 years every 25 years), at least in the US. YMMV depending on where you live though.

^^This, unfortunately. What I would appreciate is if (some) modders would have the common courtesy to either say something and not just disappear or, even better, to chose a successor if they are using such a restrictive license.

7 hours ago, Andem said:

^^This, unfortunately. What I would appreciate is if (some) modders would have the common courtesy to either say something and not just disappear or, even better, to chose a successor if they are using such a restrictive license.

I explicitly left provisions in my license (they're not, legally speaking, official) for someone to fully take over BDB if I ever leave. :wink:

9 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I explicitly left provisions in my license (they're not, legally speaking, official) for someone to fully take over BDB if I ever leave. :wink:

You were good about that,but there are other, very good mods, where the authors have just disappeared and the license prevents a takeover

And thats the problem applying copyright law to something as ephemeral as source code.  The solution needs to be something more like Trademark law - if you abandon a trademark and fail to defend it, after a reasonable time, others can use it with impunity.  The print laws are inadequate to electronic media and....  nevermind, Soapbox not needed here, dragging things off topic.  The problem is, now that I've seen the mod, if I were to write something similar, could I be looked at for infringement?  In other words, would this have to be "clean room" to be reimplemented?  Otherwise I was thinking of taking something like a base set of code and models that are GPL/BSD/MIT, and use that as a basis. My biggest problem is that I dont have the time to take something like that on.  Im still in the deep end of things in cardiac peri- and postoperative care.  I'd dearly love to have a 2 kerbal stock capsule the same diameter as the Mk1, simply for gameplay, so I don't have to load and fiddle with 1.5, 1.875 and whatever other million things people that have the 2 man caps are doing.  Corvus was perfect for my purposes.  

Oh well.  I will probably get frustrated with KSP again and just set it aside and go read books.  Or I might even check out World Of Warcraft my old Army buddies are saying they want to play the new expansion (Nooooooo, huge time sink)

Edited by Murdabenne

7 hours ago, Murdabenne said:

I'd dearly love to have a 2 kerbal stock capsule the same diameter as the Mk1, simply for gameplay, so I don't have to load and fiddle with 1.5, 1.875 and whatever other million things people that have the 2 man caps are doing.

@Murdabenne, an issue with 1.25 was the limited space in the IVA taking into account the size of the helmets. I believe this was an issue with several mod authors trying to make a 2-kerbal 1.25M pod, but at the moment I can only remember @Angel-125's Brumby pod as an example.

Issue is explained in the linked post below:

8 hours ago, Murdabenne said:

And thats the problem applying copyright law to something as ephemeral as source code.  The solution needs to be something more like Trademark law - if you abandon a trademark and fail to defend it, after a reasonable time, others can use it with impunity.

Not wanting to derail this thread, but seeing your sentiments about licensing reminded me of this thread a few months back. You should give it a read:

I'd dearly love to have a 2 kerbal stock capsule...

My time to shine!

...the same diameter as the Mk1, simply for gameplay, so I don't have to load and fiddle with 1.5, 1.875 and whatever other million things people that have the 2 man caps are doing.

e9d.jpg

I think I may have been a bit unclear - the only "mk 1" thing I was wanting was the diameter so it would work like the Corvus did, with stock 1.25 boosters. Its a gap that Squad left. After all, the boosters for Gemini and Mercury, Atlas (Mercury) and Titan II (Gemini), were the same diameter, just different adapters on the ends for the payloads, so no reason not to have a 2-kerbal on the way to the 2.5m big-boy 3-kerbal+ capsules.  Its a nice thing to have for rescue missions instead of flying a hacked together pair of Mk1's (docked at the nose and they look like an hourglass ugh) with one of them empty - which is my rather inelegant solution at the moment for that part of the career game I've restarted.

So it doesnt have to match the Mk1 precisely, nor does it even have to be side-by-side.   Hmm, there's an idea...

Here's a challenge for you CobaltWolf: Go unconventional, step outside of the box. Be the first to have a tandem 2-kerbal cabin instead of side-by-side. Like a trainer version of most fighter jet aircraft.  Or a typical modern 2-crew attack jet (exceptions being something like the F-111 or the A-6).  At this point it need not even have an IVA. I'd give it a try if I was anything remotely talented at this sort of stuff.

Edited by Murdabenne

1 hour ago, Murdabenne said:

Here's a challenge for you CobaltWolf: Go unconventional, step outside of the box. Be the first to have a tandem 2-kerbal cabin instead of side-by-side. Like a trainer version of most fighter jet aircraft.  Or a typical modern 2-crew attack jet (exceptions being something like the F-111 or the A-6).  At this point it need not even have an IVA. I'd give it a try if I was anything remotely talented at this sort of stuff.

I'm afraid I'm a bit past 2 man capsules right now. :)

if you're willing to diverge from the Gemini design that much, why not just use the Soyuz from Tantares?

• 2 months later...

While we can't modify and redistribute this mod due to licensing, we -can- collate patches for it.

I've just hacked the config files to stop the pod sinking (still need to raise it out of the water a bit more), but there's tons of other minor issues (missing tags, parts in the wrong categories, aero seems somewhat wonky, etc etc). Would be good to have an "official" unofficial patch for this mod.  Personally I've tended to use the K2 pod, but recently had cause to use this to test something and it's pretty neat. Shame it's apparently been abandoned.

10 minutes ago, micha said:

Here we go, my fixes converted into ModuleManager patches:

https://github.com/mwerle/Corvus_CF/releases

Very cool! I remember this little guy... Always a fun craft. Thank for the patches!

Does your heat shield have two decouplers? I admit as much as I know of KSP, I don't know the function of module jettison; other than it tends to detach my heat shield at inopportune times and leaving me with a set of :| faces from my cargo/passengers.  

14 hours ago, komodo said:

Does your heat shield have two decouplers? I admit as much as I know of KSP, I don't know the function of module jettison; other than it tends to detach my heat shield at inopportune times and leaving me with a set of :| faces from my cargo/passengers.  

Hmm, thought I just copied the Squad-heatshield config.. I'll double-check and remove duplicate decoupler if necessary.

4 hours ago, micha said:

Hmm, thought I just copied the Squad-heatshield config.. I'll double-check and remove duplicate decoupler if necessary.

No, I think it's right then, I've just never figured out the difference in the two modules.