ResearchBodies [OLD THREAD]

simon56modder

2 hours ago, gamerscircle said:

"Them" as in the unknown planets?  I was making an assumption that having a very powerful space telescope, would help you locate "them" a little easier?  Or, do I not fully understand this mod?

My install of the mod was in mid career, but have only been to the Mun and Minus, I have not traveled outside of that.  However; I can see [via map] Eve and Duna and Jool.

Again, I was assuming that with a telescope, I might get a contract from TST to locate them?

Easier to locate? Well having a camera on your telescope might be a bit easier... but you still have to look for them.. I guess in that way the TST telescopes might be a bit easier to find the unknown bodies. TST Space Telescopes currently function the same way as the ResearchBodies Telescope... (right click and scan), or by scanning with the camera until you find something and snapping off a picture to see if you discovered something. 

As for TST contracts, the answer is No. The only difference for TST with ResearchBodies is it will NOT offer its usual contracts for a body until that body is discovered...
Once a body is found the normal TST contracts kick in to take pictures of that body.
Also taking pictures of discovered bodies adds ResearchBodies research to said bodies.
I like the idea though of having Contracts to discover the bodies... I think though contracts to discover the unknown bodies should be part of this mod, not TST.

23 hours ago, Thegamer211 said:

I keep pointing the telescope to Minmus but I can't find it.
Any help?

I found Jool though, that was aligned behind Minmus.

Make sure you haven't already find it ! You may have missed something... Check the bodies list in the space center (researchbodies window) : if Minmus is in this list then it means you have already find it and that you have to research it using funds (check the pics in the main post)

On 1/31/2016 at 1:19 PM, simon56modder said:

Make sure you haven't already find it ! You may have missed something... Check the bodies list in the space center (researchbodies window) : if Minmus is in this list then it means you have already find it and that you have to research it using funds (check the pics in the main post)

Nope, I haven't found it.

EDIT: I had to try a few more times, and it worked after.

Edited by Thegamer211

On 1/28/2016 at 6:57 PM, JPLRepo said:

I like the idea though of having Contracts to discover the bodies... I think though contracts to discover the unknown bodies should be part of this mod, not TST.

I think this feature would make discovery feel more genuine rather than sort of gamey mechanic is is now. You could imagine realistic scientific reasons that might predict the discovery of a planet, and use the contract to test that prediction. Basically it would be great to have an authentic reason as to WHY we should point this telescope in this direction. I think that would really bring this entire idea together. 

For example, spending science at the tracking station starts a random timer (3-30 days for example). This triggers a message that explains that new analysis of the inner planets orbits suggest there is body of mass xxxx somewhere between yyy and yyy distance from kerbol. This triggers a contract that predicts this body will transit Kerbol and in order to discover it, you must have a telescope pointing at Kerbol at THIS precise time to see it and collect data. 

Another example, later in the game / tech tree: spend science at tracking station starts a longer timer (2-10 weeks). Message triggers saying a recent observation of Jool spotted an anomaly which may be a moon that passed in front of the planet. New contract appears to put a telescope in orbit around Kerbol at xxx altitude with an infrared sensor package and look at Jool for 1 week to try and catch this suspected body.

Other missions may require orbiting the Mun so as to block any light from the sun and interference from Kerbol. They don't have to be 100% scientific, but at least offer some believable explanation as to why we might need to put this telescope here, rather than just random button clicking. 

-By the way I'm so glad you are working on this because this was one of the first things I thought about when career mode came out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice mod.  I added it to an existing save and it seems to be working as advertised.  I haven't yet unlocked the TST scopes so I've been exploring only with the T-75M.

Might I suggest that in the process description on the OP, you mention that after targeting the unknown object and pointing the telescope at it you might have to click multiple times to successfully track it and that this action draws EC.  I almost completely drained my batteries trying to track Ike without realizing.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a TST Space Telescope and a SENTINAL in Kerbol orbit.  I've already discovered Bop and Vall using Research/Track Bodies but I can't seem to acquire the three other Joolian moons.  I can target them but not research them.  Are they too small (they're all Class C objects) and I'm not close enough?  I can see them clearly in the TST scope's Zoom Window at x700 but can click on the Track Bodies button until I run out of EC with no success.

I can target Jool or Vall (which I've already discovered), and offset the scope slightly to capture two undiscovered moons. I can clearly see them at higher magnifications but still cannot track them.  I ended up taking a TST picture of Laythe and Tylo , "discovered" them and researched them at KSC, but why didn't tracking work?

Also, how do you point the SENTINAL scope effectively?  There is no "Control from here" button for it so I can't use the scope to point to a target, and I'm manually pointing it roughly in the right direction.

Am I just not as good an astronomer as I thought?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, KronosHelix said:

Is this mod compatible with 1.1 prerelease?

I have no idea since I got KSP through KSP Store, not Steam... I can't get the 1.1 prerelease...

On 31/3/2016 at 3:30 PM, cy4n said:

Does this mod work in 'Science' mode? (The one where you have science but no funds).

It works, however it's not optimized for it !

On 15/3/2016 at 6:06 AM, Brigadier said:

I have a TST Space Telescope and a SENTINAL in Kerbol orbit.  I've already discovered Bop and Vall using Research/Track Bodies but I can't seem to acquire the three other Joolian moons.  I can target them but not research them.  Are they too small (they're all Class C objects) and I'm not close enough?  I can see them clearly in the TST scope's Zoom Window at x700 but can click on the Track Bodies button until I run out of EC with no success.

I can target Jool or Vall (which I've already discovered), and offset the scope slightly to capture two undiscovered moons. I can clearly see them at higher magnifications but still cannot track them.  I ended up taking a TST picture of Laythe and Tylo , "discovered" them and researched them at KSC, but why didn't tracking work?

Also, how do you point the SENTINAL scope effectively?  There is no "Control from here" button for it so I can't use the scope to point to a target, and I'm manually pointing it roughly in the right direction.

Am I just not as good an astronomer as I thought?

No idea of why.... I'll investigate once I get the 1.1 release + TST is updated for 1.1 :)

9 hours ago, simon56modder said:

No idea of why.... I'll investigate once I get the 1.1 release + TST is updated for 1.1 :)

Many thanks for continuing to support this mod.  I find it fascinating and so pertinent; just a great addition to the science and contract elements.

14 hours ago, Brigadier said:

Many thanks for continuing to support this mod.  I find it fascinating and so pertinent; just a great addition to the science and contract elements.

Thanks a lot ! This kind of feedback is very helpful in keeping modders motivated :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi @simon56modder, I hope you got your KSP copy before Squad went on vacation. I've been lurking in the Development Suggestions thread and stumbled upon this one:

Then I decided to search if that has ever been done by modders and found your thread. I must say, I'll halt my progression to other planets and stick with Mun and Minmus before your mod is updated. Your mod is a treasure :3

The game really killed it for me when I accidentally pushed the bracket key in the Map View and saw Eeloo in all its detail. Many people are starting new saves in 1.1/ 1.1.2 games. Your mod is just so essential for the new starters. I hope Squad takes your ideas when they reach the Science Overhaul phase of KSP development.

And the existence of your mod is pretty much an answer to this thread:

Edited by Enceos

Update 1.7

• Updated for KSP 1.1.2
  • ResearchBodies window can be opened even if tracking station is level 1, however its features aren't useable.
  • Added hover text for ResearchBodies icon
  • ModuleManager is now version 2.6.24

Download

CurseForge

or

SpaceDock

(source code included)

I work on this mod without being paid, if you like ResearchBodies, you can consider a little donation :)

fetch.php?tok=d9fa04&media=https%3A%2F%2

I suggest that the Research Menu menu tells the users first to get a TB-75M telescope  in space.

Edit: Question, is there anyway to change difficulty after initial configuration?

Edited by FreeThinker

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

I suggest that the Research Menu menu tells the users first to get a TB-75M telescope  in space.

Edit: Question, is there anyway to change difficulty after initial configuration?

what you can do is editing manually the researchbodies.cfg file located in your save folder (KSP/saves/<savename>/researchbodies.cfg). In here you can change the difficulty (0 = easy, up to 3 = hard) but that doesn't impact anything so what you might want to change are the costs/rewards (easily findable) and the bodies that are ignored (you can set ignore = True or ignore = False to each body).

I hope that will be helpful to you :)

Hello,

I have a little problem with the mod, anytime i try to launch the telescope to space, it disappear around 8 000m and the camera start to fall behind the ship.

The telescope is well protected behind a fairing.

Is there a solution?