[1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 1.8+] Contract Pack: CommNet Relays 2.1.0 (2019 Jan 13)

Kerbas_ad_astra

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I was not sure if this is really compatible to KSP 1.8.x on my last attempt of a new career some days ago - because there were contracts for relays at far away planets or their moons, but Kerbin, Mun, Minmus? Nope!

That just cluttered my contracts list and made me think: "Well, wait some ingame years, then you can fullfil those contracts..."

Are the contracts chosen by random or is there some progression logic behind it?

5 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

I was not sure if this is really compatible to KSP 1.8.x on my last attempt of a new career some days ago - because there were contracts for relays at far away planets or their moons, but Kerbin, Mun, Minmus? Nope!

That just cluttered my contracts list and made me think: "Well, wait some ingame years, then you can fullfil those contracts..."

Are the contracts chosen by random or is there some progression logic behind it?

As per the OP: Homeworld itself won’t get contracts. 

As per the CFG: Homeworld moons only have ‘reach space’ as a requirement. 
https://github.com/Kerbas-ad-astra/CommNet-Relays/blob/master/GameData/ContractPacks/CommNetRelays/CommNetRelayMoon.cfg

• 2 months later...
On 7/25/2015 at 5:40 AM, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

which gives you contracts for each body in the solar system (besides the homeworld, of course)

Why? I always disable other ground stations, and start career with placing equilateral triangle relays constellation around the homeworld, for getting a signal everywhere on surface. 
Or it could be any other regular polygon, or some polar orbits.
Same with the homeworld moons or other option is ahead and behind the moon. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2020 at 7:35 PM, flart said:

Why? I always disable other ground stations, and start career with placing equilateral triangle relays constellation around the homeworld, for getting a signal everywhere on surface. 
Or it could be any other regular polygon, or some polar orbits.
Same with the homeworld moons or other option is ahead and behind the moon. 

Problem is no coverage at the poles.  If you want a challenge, then try using a Draim 4-satellite constellation.  It is the most efficient way to achieve 100% coverage of the planetary surface, 100% of the time, with there always being a relay link to KSC.  I wrote a brief wiki article on the Draim constellation, including orbit data for each of the 4 satellites. (Semi-major access, eccentricity, inclination, argument of periapsis, longitude of the ascending node, and mean anomaly at epoch 0)

Look on https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Tutorial:Ideal_Orbits_for_Communication_Satellites

Edited by Murdabenne
typos

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

very new player here, and kind of out of ideas on your mod on my first contract. I need to place a satellite in orbit around Minmus.

I tried every combination and 6 of every communications device (RA-2, HG-5 and DTS-M1) but it seems like I miss something - I cant get the needed 5.00M relay antenna rating, probably because I dont even really know what that means.

Can you help me out? Thanks!

Picture is from the launchpad, but it doesn't change when I orbit Minmus.

JEN63wt.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a contract to put a relay around Mun, with a requirement of "at least 5.00M".  I put a new relay in orbit with a DTS-M1 antenna, with a rating of 2.00G, but the contract doesn't recognize that as meeting the "at least 5.00M" requirement (yes, the antenna is deployed).  Any ideas?

Edited by Krymson Skorpyon

35 minutes ago, Krymson Skorpyon said:

I have a contract to put a relay around Mun, with a requirement of "at least 5.00M".  I put a new relay in orbit with a DTS-M1 antenna, with a rating of 2.00G, but the contract doesn't recognize that as meeting the "at least 5.00M" requirement (yes, the antenna is deployed).  Any ideas?

That's a direct antenna, the contract requires relay type antennas. 

• 1 month later...

I have the same issue as @salsaheaven : The contract doesn't recognize that the antenna rating should be met.
If I keep adding relay antennas the requirement is eventually met, but it doesn't seem like the proper behavior plus I remember this working correctly in earlier playthroughs.

There's a screenshot in my dropbox. Sorry, I don't know how to properly insert images here.

KSP v1.9.1
ContractConfigurator v1.28.0
CommNetRelays v2.1.0
[and ~60 other mods]

Edited by cordilon
added info

• 1 month later...

So, as you can see from my screenshot, I should have no problem satisfying the requirements of the contract, but this still wasn't enough.  I have tried completing this contract a few times, now.  Made sure to have relay antennas on all my craft, all with over 5M range - at least 2 antennas.  I guess the good thing is that I have enough relays around the Mun and Minmus to land rovers and not have to worry about a connection.  I just added the direct antennas, just to be sure.  I am running 1.10 and have several mods.  I was also wondering if there were mods that could affect the contract from being completed because of some kind of conflict.  I would like to start working on setting up relays on other planets so I can expand, but I don't want to run out of money due to contract failures.  Thanks!B2B649A40A000C6A48D7A8236A308AE556CC4F9B

Hello there, the contract seems fine, like a good idea to track where you need to get some relays working. At first I thought it just didn't have proper requirements, but then I gave i quick peak at the configs files, and sure enough they seem to be properly setup, however I'm still getting some wonky contract offerings. For example in this career I only made it to the Mun, yet its offering me contracts for Duna, Moho, Pol and so on beyond the rainbow. Thinking about it most of them seem to be just another celestial body's moon. And yet, no contract about keosynchronous or something like that around the homeworld. Is there a way to improve this contract offerings?

Screenshot-20200806-000034.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The contract pack for me also doesn't offer any main body relay setups (only moons).

Additionally, it's impossible to complete the "Relay antenna rating (combined): At least 5.00M" requirements when you have stuff like Real Antennas installed. With the actual antennas (which are not flagged as "relay") I send and receive to the Mun just fine, but the contract won't complete.

If I put the only Relay antenna I have so far unlocked (RA-00-2 Micro-Relay Antenna, rating 2.00M (combinable)) onto a vessel and put it in orbit, it also does not complete. And I put 16 of those on the vessel which should certainly be enough.

On 8/23/2020 at 5:17 AM, KevinGelking said:

The contract pack for me also doesn't offer any main body relay setups (only moons).

Additionally, it's impossible to complete the "Relay antenna rating (combined): At least 5.00M" requirements when you have stuff like Real Antennas installed. With the actual antennas (which are not flagged as "relay") I send and receive to the Mun just fine, but the contract won't complete.

If I put the only Relay antenna I have so far unlocked (RA-00-2 Micro-Relay Antenna, rating 2.00M (combinable)) onto a vessel and put it in orbit, it also does not complete. And I put 16 of those on the vessel which should certainly be enough.

Yeah - I'm running into the same problem.  Have the 1m parabolic which is described as a "relay antenna" and good green line to home base from Munar orbit.  Looks like contract pack with Realantennas on 1.10 are not getting along.  Interestingly enough, worked fine with RemoteTech, but that doesn't work with Kerbalism... so you have to decide what's more important.  How these modders keep any of this straight is beyond me. 

• 4 weeks later...

I might have a similar problem. It's my first time using this mod and my first attempt - and I didn't notice the "antenna rating" requirement until now...

Anyway, the contract says: "Relay antenna rating (combined): At least five". My probe has HG-5 Relay antenna, rating 4M.

Well 4M is more than 5, so that should be fine. Except, it doesn't work and why is it written as "five"? Do I maybe need 5 antennas in total? Or five satellites fulfilling the requirements? Either way I have a nice 100% connection to the KSC so I think it should qualify.

I'm only using a few mods besides this one. None of which should effect the com system.

On 9/26/2020 at 8:00 AM, Morphisor said:

@Nobody6 I'm not sure why antenna rating parameter is now only saying five instead of what it used to do fine - which is 5.00M for a moon relay mission. These contracts will always require a certain total combined antenna rating. If your probe has 4M, you're a little too low.

Thanks for clearing that up.

So then 2 4M antennas with a 0.75 exponent should be enough - right? Except it isn't I checked on the launch pad this time and the contract still says it's not enough :-(

Any suggestions? How is the range/antenna rating calculated exactly anyway?

EDIT:

Never mind that, the antennas just don't seem to count while they're inside a fairing!

Edited by Nobody6

On 9/26/2020 at 12:00 AM, Morphisor said:

@Nobody6 I'm not sure why antenna rating parameter is now only saying five instead of what it used to do fine - which is 5.00M for a moon relay mission. These contracts will always require a certain total combined antenna rating. If your probe has 4M, you're a little too low.

Whoops, this is a problem in Contract Configurator.  I've fixed the parameter to use the right localization string for the next release.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/1/2021 at 2:16 AM, fraggle00 said:

If anyone runs across this thread, I'd like you to know you can use KML to edit the required antenna rating - set it to zero and you can complete the contracts.

You can also write a short patch to "disable" the required antenna rating. I did just add a new config file for RealAntennas setting the required antenna rating to zero.
TBH it's a quick and dirty solution, but it's a solution, where you don't need to edit your savegame every time you choose a relay contract.

@Kerbas_ad_astra
Am I allowed to write an instruction for that diy patch?
Or could you maybe just add such a config for RealAntennas into your mod?

• 3 months later...
On 3/22/2021 at 10:04 AM, Idolon said:

You can also write a short patch to "disable" the required antenna rating. I did just add a new config file for RealAntennas setting the required antenna rating to zero.
TBH it's a quick and dirty solution, but it's a solution, where you don't need to edit your savegame every time you choose a relay contract.

@Kerbas_ad_astra
Am I allowed to write an instruction for that diy patch?
Or could you maybe just add such a config for RealAntennas into your mod?

Post the config patch please, I would really like to use this with RealAntennas.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.