[1.0.4] Champagne Bottle v1 "Lafitte"

Senshi

This is a continuation of this mod made by jimji316. To better distinguish, my fork will be named "Lafitte".

I haven't touched the source yet, this is just a 1.0.4-compatible recompile of the mod, so kudos, reputation and thanks should be directed at jimji, who really put in quite some work into this plugin.

Description

The purpose of this plugin is to auto-generate some possibly interesting craft names.

It adds a button to Blizzy's Toolbar (which is a requirement for now), which you can use in the VAB/SHP/wherever to get some suggestions for a cool ship name. By clicking one of the suggestions, the new name gets applied to the currently active vessel.

Installation:

- Extract to your GameData folder

Source code is included, under \GameData\Champagne\Source\. License is GPLv3 as defined by jimji.

Changelog:

03 Aug 2015: Recompiled for KSP 1.0.4, cleaned up zip file

Plans:

- Add to Stock toolbar (making Blizzy's Toolbar obsolete/optional)

- If you have suggestions for some more ship name elements, you can simply edit the .txt files (nouns, peoples, titles etc.). You can also give lists of suggestions to me and I'll add them on the next releases so everyone can enjoy the variety!

I'd say to maybe make it context-sensitive, and also customisable. So that you can select a naming theme, or put in the purpose of the craft and it will automatically generate a fitting name.

How about an optional mode to exclude prefixes like KSS or ICV or whatever and just generate the name.

I always used the old one as an idea-generator when I was feeling uncreative, and usually played around with them a bit. Hell, half the time I didn't use the name, but used ones inspired by it.

I'd say to maybe make it context-sensitive, and also customisable. So that you can select a naming theme, or put in the purpose of the craft and it will automatically generate a fitting name.

When I was poking around in it I had a thought to do context sensitive names, but aside from the prefix LV, SV, etc I couldn't really think of any kind of other naming that would be appropriate.

@abowl: Because the champagne button is placed in the toolbar ;) . Else you'd have no way to open the menu right now. Finding and implementing other ways to access it (stock toolbar, right-click in name field) is being looked into.

@Gribble: Sure, if you got the stock applauncher done already you can shoot it my way. No need to do the work twice! Would be appreciated. :)

@Gregrox, Zuthal: Prefix-Exclusion would be a nice addition. For now, you can edit the vessel name after it's been set using the regular means (Right-click -> rename).

In terms of context-sensitivity: That has been already included by jimji: The plugin detects the type of vessel after launch (the ship type as in Probe, Ship, Station, Base, Rover, Flag, ...) and customizes the prefix (Appending a specific character, e.g. "Col" for a base, "SS" for space station etc.). It wouldn't be too hard to make it give context-sensitive names as well, but I would need a lot more cool and fitting names to make lists for each specific ship type.

@Shurikeeen: Names are given as text lists, so only the selection is random. As such they will repeat sooner or later. Currently there's a mix of 45 names, 80 adjectives, 83 nouns and 20 titles. As there are five possible patterns to combine these, this makes for 18864 possible combinations if I got my math right. In addition, there are 6 possible prefixes (randomly chosen) plus aforementioned vessel type prefix.

Awesome. My ships' names will now be so much more punchy. No more "Mun orbiter 2" for me!

- Add to Stock toolbar (making Blizzy's Toolbar obsolete/optional)

Please make Blizzy's toolbar optional, not obsolete. My stock toolbar is already full of garbage I want to be better organized on Blizzy's :)

Random thought:

Order the names in the text files from "small" to "large" or "weak" to "powerful", and then use vessel mass as a way to weigh the random selection. That way, the little probe won't be named MASSIVE TITAN IV and your Jool-5 ship won't be HMS LITTLE PIPSQUEAK

Though actually now that I think of it, those might be the names I pick :D

Edited by 5thHorseman

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I love this mod. I'd love to see an option to automatically add generation marks to the end, and increment with each launch, so you can save the ship with the name xyz, but then launches as the xyz mark 1, or the xyz mk IV, etc. A small field to put in a string to append to the end of the ship upon launch would be great, along with simple variables for arabic or roman numeral counting or spelled numbers.

So, before I start using this, I had a few questions I didn't see answered here.

When does it change the name, after launch?

And what do the prefix acronyms stand for, if anything?

When you open it in the hanger and pick a dictionary, it shows a few random names. clicking one changes the name right away.

The prefixes are common acronyms used by military/exploratory ships by different countries.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.