"Plan Kappa" - A KSP graphic novel (Jeb is back in Chapter 53! Well, kinda.)

Parkaboy

A Lewis Carroll reference AND "Fair Joolish Ladies!" So much to love here. I especially love the technobabble explanation of Jeb inventing cryogenic hibernation. I mean, I just sort of.. (waves hands) made it part of Kerbal biology. Your explanation simultaneously makes more sense and less, which I mean as a very Kerbal compliment :)

(ps--'in their midst' is the usual idiom. I know, I know, we don't use that word anywhere else... that's English for you, muito louco :))

(ps--'in their midst' is the usual idiom. I know, I know, we don't use that word anywhere else... that's English for you, muito louco :))

Well don't get me started on how little sense portuguese grammar sometimes does... But I should have known it's "midst" and not "middle", since I read a lot in english, yet it's only when I try to write it that I realize I need a lot more practice...

Thanks, Parkaboy!

I enjoyed the 'cryogenic hibernation' bit. As well as the Lewis Carroll. And, of course, 'Fair Joolish Ladies' is a classic.

I wonder what the World-Firsts Record Keeping Society is interested in, other than records of worlds-first type events.

Happy landings!

Edited by Starhawk

How many kerbals do you plan to send to Duna/Eve/Laythe?

As many as possible? I haven't entirely made my mind about the post-apocalypse plans. Right now the objective is to complete the tech tree as fast as possible.

Excellent opening to this chapter. Murder! Indeed! How could such an adorable Kerb as Fabien be a murderer? Oh what tangled webs we weave when we travel in time...

ETA: "You must spread reputation around before giving it to Parkaboy again." :D

Edited by Kuzzter

Sorry I can't rep you at the moment 'cause I just repped you in the E:O0 thread, but great work.

I loved the last panel! The expressions on their faces are perfect as Jack says 'the space program is over!'.

Thanks Parkaboy.

Happy landings!

Excellent opening to this chapter. Murder! Indeed! How could such an adorable Kerb as Fabien be a murderer? Oh what tangled webs we weave when we travel in time...

ETA: "You must spread reputation around before giving it to Parkaboy again." :D

Unfortunately, same here... BTW, the same happened when I tried to rep you...

Note to self: I must browse the forums more often, I must spread rep!

And BOOM, he's probably changed his mind and it's a different future.

It's an interesting paradox though, are those two going back in time required for the event to happen because he was anticipating them or is it a one-shot closed loop (which all of the time travellers seem to be so far) and it has since diverged.

And BOOM, he's probably changed his mind and it's a different future.

It's an interesting paradox though, are those two going back in time required for the event to happen because he was anticipating them or is it a one-shot closed loop (which all of the time travellers seem to be so far) and it has since diverged.

There are no loops in this story, because going back in time just creates a new timeline. Whatever Adam and Jack are trying to change won't happen because of them, because Plan Kappa doesn't deal with that kind of paradox. At worse they may fail to prevent it, but it would have happened anyway even if they didn't came back. Does that make sense?

You can always refer to this to try and make sense of it:

7vgKqIx.jpg

The one-shot loop that I'm talking about is the time travellers going back in time.

I'm not sure I'm following you... When a time traveler goes back in time in Plan Kappa, it isn't really a loop, because when he arrives at the past it is no longer his past, but a different timeline, created by his (or hers) arrival. So it's more like a "Z"-shaped course than a loop, I think? It's hard to explain...

Imagine this. I travel back 3 years and kill my past self. This might look like a paradox, because if I killed my past self then I shouldn't exist 3 years later, and therefore couldn't go back 3 years and kill my past self, and so on and on. But Plan Kappa deals with diverging timelines. If I go to the past and kill my past self, I still exist and still remember a past where I was never attacked by a future version of me. Because there are now two timelines, the one where I used to live (and where I came from), and the one where I killed my past self and "changed" the future (actually created a new one).

Check the TVtropes page on Time Travel. Plan Kappa follows the type 7 rules: alternate timelines.

Edited by Parkaboy

...we have a saboteur among us

Dun dun DUNNNNNNNNNNN!!!

Before I read the speech balloons I thought Fabien's capsule had actually impacted the launch pad and blown up Glery's ship. My thoughts were, (1) wow that's a real jerk way to stop a launch, and (2) mad props to Parkaboy for such an accurate capsule drop :D

Before I read the speech balloons I thought Fabien's capsule had actually impacted the launch pad and blown up Glery's ship. My thoughts were, (1) wow that's a real jerk way to stop a launch, and (2) mad props to Parkaboy for such an accurate capsule drop :D

:D No, I don't think I could ever hit something on the launchpad with an uncontrolled capsule! If only it had RCS thrusters, I could manage it after 3 or 4 tries...

Funny fact: the abort button was actually mapped wrong and someone would probably die if I had to use it in an actual emergency. I would never have noticed it if it weren't for that saboteur! :sticktongue: