"Plan Kappa" - A KSP graphic novel (Jeb is back in Chapter 53! Well, kinda.)

Parkaboy

12 hours ago, Redhaze said:

Interesting! So even that one rotation per... 60-90m? What's the orbital period of the Soyuz on the way to ISS? ...gives such a noticeable effect?

From what I could find, it's several degrees per second yaw, which equals to several minute period. Apparently, that's what it takes to gyrostabilize the craft so that it keeps its solar panels pointed right at the Sun for a long time without wasting any more propellant. Not too severe, but Coriolis effect is felt when you are moving around the spacecraft (and careful with looking out the window - everything notably spins).

Let's try calculating: 3 degrees per second at 4 meters from CoM gives us... about 0.01 m/s2 in the orbital module.
Less than Gilly. And even that's said to notably affect bloodflow when sleeping along the centrifugal force vector.

Conclussion: have blood to the head problems on Gilly? Try  sleeping vertically

Edited by Alchemist

9 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

But it frequently happened that folks would turn their heads down to watch the floor fall away then look back up, and do this a few times, and then it was the "vomit comet" :D

Ooooh, I remember this! I went on one of these ONCE, and that was it!

Edited by Chemp

10 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

It's more a matter of inertial cross-coupling.  You might recall the Mythbuster's show with the vomit-inducing chair?  Same thing.  The problem is when you're rotating about 1 axis and turn your head on another axis, and BARF!  

Writing barf all capital with explanation mark really drives home the projectile vomiting effect that I now can't help but visualize. :confused: But anyways, I think we're talking about the same thing, this is what that article mentions about Coriolis Effect:

If an astronaut inside a rotating artificial gravity environment moves towards or away from the axis of rotation, he or she will feel a force pushing him or her towards or away from the direction of spin. These forces act on the inner ear and can cause dizziness, nausea and disorientation.

From your vomit comet :sealed: example, looking down and back would also translate your head an inche or two closer to the axis of spin, possibly enough to induce that effect given the assertion from that article that it would take a spin radius of about 224 meters (resulting in 2 RPM for 1g acceleration)  not to feel this effect any more. I have to say I sadly missed the Myth Busters episode you mentioned, but on a spinning chair basically every movement your head makes is a translation of your inner ear to or from the axis, as the axis runs practically through your head, so that may very well be the same effect again.

Edited by FyunchClick
spelling

1 hour ago, FyunchClick said:

From your vomit comet :sealed: example, looking down and back would also translate your head an inche or two closer to the axis of spin, possibly enough to induce that effect given the assertion from that article that it would take a spin radius of about 224 meters (resulting in 2 RPM for 1g acceleration)  not to feel this effect any more. I have to say I sadly missed the Myth Busters episode you mentioned, but on a spinning chair basically every movement your head makes is a translation of your inner ear to or from the axis, as the axis runs practically through your head, so that may very well be the same effect again.

Well,whatever causes it, it definitely happens and has been known for a while.  Back in the 80s, I was married to an actual rocket scientist who was obsessed with going to Mars (and now that she's my ex, I signed her up for that 1-way trip plan :D ) so I picked up a lot of info on such things by osmosis.  This topic was one of the things she was always going on about--it was known way back then.  Basically, spin-gravity contraptions have to be friggin' huge or they're uninhabitable.  This pretty much rules it out for anything except mondo stations and colonization ships of the far future.  Even the cablecar idea has major problems, not only from this but from safety and engineering issues.

Of course, Kerbals seem to have been bred to live in space.  Plus, they don't have ears.  So this probably doesn't bother them at all, except perhaps in learning to offset their koffee kups from their koffee pots when pouring to account for the Coriolis arcing of the stream :)

Let's compare. The objective:

Centrifugal force / centripetal acceleration - the artificial gravity. Proportional to the centrifuge radius and square of the angular velocity.

Now the issues:

Coriolis effect - based on linear velocity gradient and relative velocity vector rotation, creates tangential acceleration (and thus deflects "gravity" vector) when standing up and creates radial acceleration when moving along the direction of rotation. Coriolis acceleration is proportional to relative movement velocity, angular velocity and... independent of the radius (although on larger radius systems you'll have less deflection of perceived "gravity" vector, because the centrifugal force is proportional to the radius).

Precession - you might adjust to the current rotation of the frame of reference while staying still, but when you try to turn your head you inner ear will show different rotation change that what you'd expect if it was inertial frame of reference. This effect is also proportional to the angular velocity and not linked to the radius.

The thing is: both problems are proportional to angular velocity, and have to be solved both at once by reducing angular velocity and that means increasing the radius of rotation. Which is inversely proportional to square of the allowed angular velocity for the same artificial gravity.

So the question is to determine the maximum comfortable angular velocity for long-term living, find the size of the centrifuge for whatever gravity is considered OK... and decide if if we are better off with adapting to 0g...

4 hours ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Heyyyy, yo mah boi @Parkaboy, wassup with the updates yo?

33 minutes ago, astrokerb said:

I agree with @SpaceplaneAddict, why haven't there been any updates lately? We all appreciate the dramatic pause (sort of) and all, but seriously.

Probably got busy with real life. It's only been a few days really.

8 hours ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Heyyyy, yo mah boi @Parkaboy, wassup with the updates yo?

Sorry about that, folks! RL is keeping me really busy, and I still have a lot of stuff to do in-game before next chapter (such as doing course corrections fhr the entire Jool fleet). Please be patient. I might be able to post a chapter sometime next weekend.

2 hours ago, Parkaboy said:

Sorry about that, folks! RL is keeping me really busy, and I still have a lot of stuff to do in-game before next chapter (such as doing course corrections fhr the entire Jool fleet). Please be patient. I might be able to post a chapter sometime next weekend.

I'm as eager for the next chapter as the next guy but RL comes first.  Take your time and keep enjoying making these.  I say this out of complete selfishness mind you - the longer you enjoy making them the more of them I get to read.  :D

4 hours ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Notice that he still responds many times...

Yes, that's true. All I meant was that it's historically taken a little time for new content to arrive, so we don't need to worry that he's abandoned the project :)

Hey, uh, anyone happen to have found a certain Pete and Pepe in their save? They were my astronauts and for some reason are gone...

Talk about losing your rare pepes. And I thought it was just a meme.

On 2/9/2016 at 3:44 AM, Parkaboy said:

No worries, take your time :D

Hey, everybody! I managed to do the course correction on all the Jool fleet ships, and already set half the Duna fleet, which was waiting in LKO, on its way to the red planet. I'm not sure if I'll manage to post a new chapter during the weekend, but it's getting closer, so stay tuned!

55 minutes ago, Parkaboy said:

Hey, everybody! I managed to do the course correction on all the Jool fleet ships, and already set half the Duna fleet, which was waiting in LKO, on its way to the red planet. I'm not sure if I'll manage to post a new chapter during the weekend, but it's getting closer, so stay tuned!

Fleets and flotillas.  My favorites :D

I had some free time today and thought I would managed to do the new chapter today. Silly me.

The game crashed in all the ways that were famiiliar to me, and in a bunch of new others. Frames per second can be counted in one hand, for some reason (I don't even have anything with more than 300 parts, which my PC would be able to deal with easily). At one point, all my vessels were either turned inside out or squashed to one third of original height. I had a pic to show you this really strange bug, but of course after 10 tries it still keeps failing to upload to Imgur. Oh, and everything that's landed now loads 2m underground and explodes.

The good news is that these bugs aren't consistent. Sometimes the game works normally, like one out of ten. So... it's not like I'm not trying, but the save is even more corrupted than it is in the story. It won't surprise me if Kerbin actually explodes as predicted.

I'll keep working, but things will be slow for the foreseeable future, since I have to fire up KSP 9 times to be able to do a single scene.

Edited by Parkaboy

Sorry to her that. This is pretty much how it woks for me, too: sometimes fine (at least by my standards), sometimes slows down to total crawl, sometimes refuses to completely initialize KSC scene (so that the only thing that works is returning to main menu - it might work on second attempt to load the save, but not always) and sometimes just crashes the computer (once it ate half the save file in the process - it didn't even load because of missing crew roster).

In my case I'm pretty sure it's the graphics card glitching, although I think I'll need to buy new PC anyway - this one is like 8 years old (incidentally, graphics card was one of the pats I already replaced once).

45 minutes ago, Parkaboy said:

I had some free time today and thought I would managed to do the new chapter today. Silly me.

The game crashed in all the ways that were famiiliar to me, and in a bunch of new others. Frames per second can be counted in one hand, for some reason (I don't even have anything with more than 300 parts, which my PC would be able to deal with easily). At one point, all my vessels were either turned inside out or squashed to one third of original height. I had a pic to show you this really strange bug, but of course after 10 tries it still keeps failing to upload to Imgur. Oh, and everything that's landed now loads 2m underground and explodes.

The good news is that these bugs aren't consistent. Sometimes the game works normally, like one out of ten. So... it's not like I'm not trying, but the save is even more corrupted than it is in the story. It won't surprise me if Kerbin actually explodes as predicted.

I'll keep working, but things will be slow for the foreseeable future, since I have to fire up KSP 9 times to be able to do a single scene.

Take your time. Solve the issues one at a time.
As for your computer, this might be a good time to do a little maintenance (if you haven't done any recently). Give 'er a good cleaning, defrag the HDD, double check hardware. You'd be surprised just how big a performance boost a simple HDD defrag can do.

Software? Make sure everything is updated, double check your file structure in KSP.

We will be patient.

Edited by GDJ

3 hours ago, Parkaboy said:

Oh my--- well, everything is fixable eventually, with enough savefile magic. Last resort might be to start a brand new install, load only the mods you need, then cut and paste your ships and kerbals from the old save to the new. Good luck, hope it all works out somehow. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.