Devnote Tuesday: Compiling, Staging and Rocket Science!

SQUAD

Working under the hood with nothing to show to the community is really the most unsatisfying time when doing game development. But actually the things reported here are just awesome :).

Thanks for the infos and i am really looking forward to return to the game with the next update of KSP (currently away, blasting things in Elite: Dangerous and fighting monsters in The Witcher III).

Part of me is glad for the long development time of this update.

A) a lot of incremental improvements!

B) it gave me time to catch up with other games on my backlog (mainly prison architect).

Keep up the good work squad. Take your time and please apply as many performance tweaks to this game as you can! :-)

Meh...

are there any (official) estimations, when 1.1 will be released? After I've messed up a KSP 0.9 installation with RSS while waiting for all plugins to get compatible with 1.0, I've decided to wait for 1.1. And now I am without KSP for about two to three months.

Please, have mercy with me!

A few dozen times a day, 1 minute each, that's basically 8 weeks right there, but that's 8 weeks of non-stop time, 24 hours a day. I think we're well within the "worth it" range!

And don't forget, it's not just him who is waiting.

Sounds like some good progress. The new devnotes are settling into a good style too - they were a bit stiff and formal to begin with, now they seem more relaxed and informative. Good stuff. :)

are there any (official) estimations, when 1.1 will be released?

No, though you can probably make an educated guess. Since we're still awaiting news on QA and Experimentals, I wouldn't expect any release for at least another month. However you can bet the team will want to release something before Christmas holidays. So maybe November.

Edited by Kerano

Once again this is great news to hear! I'm happy to say I just finished reading the Martian in my own news. I definitely recommend it to anyone, space enthusiast or not. This is when I wish I had over 500 subscribers... Well, beggars can't be choosers and I'll get to see plenty of great videos from the new members anyways. Though I still hope I'm not out of the battle yet! I hope you all have a good day. :)

Edit:

ymnZLOz.jpg
Edited by Avera9eJoe

I'm all the way stoked about all these under-the-hood changes and fixes. It's more exciting to me than any new feature or part could be. I'm also really enjoying the new devnote format; I feel like we get a lot more good info out of them now that they've settled into the new routine.

Felipe (Harvester) has been working on this, but the tool he’s writing to save him time is taking a lot of time to be completed, but it’s an investment in the future. For now, we’ve found that overclocking the CPU also has a significant impact on the compile times, because the compiling process is single-threaded. Felipe even bought a new processor to help things along: an i7 4790K, clocked at 4GHz.
Please be careful, an overclocked CPU has an increased risk of making subtle errors that go unnoticed. And considering Squad's probable revenues I'm surprised it's not worth funding performance PCs for all the staff.
we’re continuing development of 1.1 on Unity 5.2.
Well, I stand corrected on my previous claim that KSP 1.1 wouldn't use Unity 5.2. Good work.

I'm very happy to hear you guys are finally posting the full control list.

Oh, and I would take dark and rainy over oppressive heat any day of the week thanks. :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

Please be careful, an overclocked CPU has an increased risk of making subtle errors that go unnoticed. And considering Squad's probable revenues I'm surprised it's not worth funding performance PCs for all the staff.

This is the same CPU I have, absolutely no need to overclock this CPU, it thottles itself up to 4.40GHZ.

Because the decision would be based on "does this increase revenue or reduce cost" and buying new pc's likely does neither. Besides that, upgrading PC's is disruptive. Everyone needs to reinstall all their development tools on the new computer (there's always that "aha" moment when you realize you forgot to install that rarely-used-but-so-necessary-when-you-DO-need-it tool) which takes time away from software development. Makes more sense to upgrade PC's only once per two years or something like that. The benefits of upgrading the build-server seemed clear from the start though, hence it was done.

Meh...

are there any (official) estimations, when 1.1 will be released? After I've messed up a KSP 0.9 installation with RSS while waiting for all plugins to get compatible with 1.0, I've decided to wait for 1.1. And now I am without KSP for about two to three months.

Please, have mercy with me!

RSS/RO is already at 1.0.4.

Why is it (ok it may just be me) that the dev notes seem to be more and more about marketing rather than code development. Don't get me wrong here, it's all good, just sayin'

Because there's lots of highly-visible and reportable marketing happening and the code-development (Unity 5, now 5.2) is not visible or demonstrable?

Rug's been pulled out from under their feet. As requested but it means huge changes all around; just nothing that you can really say much about, except in a highly-technical discussion.

Would be nice to get some idea of what the new UI is expected to look like though.

[wait for the medium group video]

Yeah, it's easy to talk about all the great new feature they are developing, unless they aren't. The Unity 5 port is more about performance and less about new features so it's bound to be hard to describe it in terms that non-programmers would understand.

My opinion... As a person who loves to play long continuous plays in KSP...

Focus on Unity 5.2 and give us the BEST KSP Unity can offer. I don't care about intermediate versions that can be released a little bit sooner. That just means my save file gets derped by the changes. If I have to move on to a new game, cause all my old ships break in the transition... Well? Then let it be to the best that you can offer me, and who cares if it takes a little longer... I think it'd be a waste to develop for two versions of Unity. Embrace the changes! Go for the best! :sticktongue:

Oooooh! So THAT's what it'll look like.

My bad, I was under the impression there was a UI redesign happening/planned. Now I know.

So far all we've heard is that they are for some reason wrangling this cool all-in-one UI system in Unity 5 so it looks exactly like the hacked together, a la carte UI that U4 (or more likely U3) forced on them.

There are some elements of the UI being redesigned, but by and large Squad are re-programming the UI we know in Unity 5. Which I've said before is the right decision, it gives them a clear target to aim for, means they won't be so tempted into designing a UI that's Unity-5-easy, and means they aren't working on a UI redesign for an update that's already got plenty to do for it.

Hopefully, the new UI it will lend itself to skinning to escape the scourge of fake bevels and gradients.

That'd be ace.

DEATH TO EXCESSIVE PADDING! Seriously, this game needs some information density. And better information presentation. And some information...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.