[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

b-bu-but muh 1.2 prerelease!

The fact that 1.2 is around the corner is the sole reason Im not playing KSP at all right now. Im just gonna be patient and wait for all the mods I want to be released for it and then start a new sandbox game in it.

1 hour ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Easy there, Jeb. Lemme get in the capsule before you light the fuse! :P

Nah. Better if I light it first. More dramatic.

17 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

...What we're probably going to do, is reduce the default fuel amounts in the tanks, while leaving the max fuel amounts alone. That way, when you just try and build a Saturn, it flies fine...

How much less? The Oxidizer can remain untouched, but how much LiquidFuel to LqdHydrogen?

On 9/26/2016 at 11:08 AM, CobaltWolf said:

We should just declare it dead.

Please don't...

SV looks great, the proportions choices worked out. 

On 9/26/2016 at 11:30 AM, Jimbodiah said:

@Nertea is going to flip when he reads this, haha :)  1.2 isn't even released yet, so expecting modders to jump on 1.2 and have their mods finished before an official version is even released, is kind of insane. I expect it will be at least a month or so after release until the dust has settled with mods updating...

Yeah, this. He usually goes through everything after the update drops, and CryoEngines doesn't usually break anyway. I'm surprised it isn't working now.

2 minutes ago, Rory Yammomoto said:

How much less? The Oxidizer can remain untouched, but how much LiquidFuel to LqdHydrogen?

enough that they have more proper dV. and no, it should be touched. Why on earth would we leave dead weight in the rocket? It would be something like, without CryoEngines, the S-II tank only has 50% max LFO.

@Foxxonius Augustus nice pic! :P I think I have the LEM advert somewhere as well.

Edited by CobaltWolf

1 minute ago, CobaltWolf said:

enough that they have more proper dV. and no, it should be touched. Why on earth would we leave dead weight in the rocket? It would be something like, without CryoEngines, the S-II tank only has 50% max LFO.

So, with CryoEngines, would it have max LHO?

LH to O ratio is is 15:1. Nertea came up with this for his CryoEngines and ShadowMage used the same ratio for his SSTU engines to keep it all compatible. The only difference between the two mods is that Nertea uses a 2x factor for tank volume vs weight to keep it more kerbal looking, while SSTU uses more real life scaling so tanks will be bigger (and fit what they look like in real life). 

LH is a LOT lighter, so even though tanks will get bigger, they still weigh less. The added ISP of the LH engines makes it a very appealing combination, and shows why the Saturn V is so unbalanced when only using stock LF/O as a fuel.

Edited by Jimbodiah

33 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

LH to O ratio is is 15:1. Nertea came up with this for his CryoEngines and ShadowMage used the same ratio for his SSTU engines to keep it all compatible. The only difference between the two mods is that Nertea uses a 2x factor for tank volume vs weight to keep it more kerbal looking, while SSTU uses more real life scaling so tanks will be bigger (and fit what they look like in real life). 

LH is a LOT lighter, so even though tanks will get bigger, they still weigh less. The added ISP of the LH engines makes it a very appealing combination, and shows why the Saturn V is so unbalanced when only using stock LF/O as a fuel.

Basically. And we don't want to deviate significantly from the stock X volume = Y fuel amounts = Z mass formula that we've been using for the non-CryoEngines version. Either Saturn V tanks need to basically have stats for tanks half their size, or they need to be defueled.

37 minutes ago, awsumindyman said:

Yes. But then you're back up to having too much deltaV for the stock scale system, and are back to needing a rescale to make things have remotely accurate capabilities...

12 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Yes. But then you're back up to having too much deltaV for the stock scale system, and are back to needing a rescale to make things have remotely accurate capabilities...

You say this as if its bad for things to be overpowered. :P

New heatshield texture, still working on revising the CM.

p9hqGtw.png

S5ap1Lo.png

EDIT: Oh, by way of explanation as to why I'm working on Apollo right now (supplementary information: I don't have the latest Saturn files on my laptop)

fYQPJ5f.png

unknown.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

3 minutes ago, SpaceBadger007 said:

So after ages of thinking and contemplating, I decided screw it lets download this mod, and wow what a great decision! So here's a sandbox test mission I did to sort out the problems before using it in my career mode.

http://imgur.com/a/Y40FW    

Awesome mission! I love the imagery of a full MOLE getting sent, instead of just a Gemini. If you want tips for the 'intended' configurations of the rockets (or just want ideas! :) ) be sure to check out our manual courtesy of @DiscoSlelge.

12 minutes ago, SpaceBadger007 said:

So after ages of thinking and contemplating, I decided screw it lets download this mod, and wow what a great decision! So here's a sandbox test mission I did to sort out the problems before using it in my career mode.

http://imgur.com/a/Y40FW    

Nice mission! And btw, the proper terminology is now "hugging" not "docking"

3 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Awesome mission! I love the imagery of a full MOLE getting sent, instead of just a Gemini. If you want tips for the 'intended' configurations of the rockets (or just want ideas! :) ) be sure to check out our manual courtesy of @DiscoSlelge.

I DIDN'T KNOW THERE WAS A MANUAL! so much stuff to do now and how to do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh I forgot to put this in the post above but when trying to dock with the Gemini, the service modual has no reverse/forward RCS, making it a little tedious when docking, if you go to fast, having to turn around and thrust way, so if its possible to add that in, that would be awesome! 

Just now, SpaceBadger007 said:

I DIDN'T KNOW THERE WAS A MANUAL! so much stuff to do now and how to do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh I forgot to put this in the post above but when trying to dock with the Gemini, the service modual has no reverse/forward RCS, making it a little tedious when docking, if you go to fast, having to turn around and thrust way, so if its possible to add that in, that would be awesome! 

I haven't played with Gemini in a while as I'm still in mercury in 1 career save, and in the shuttle era in another, but isn't there external rcs blocks that you put on? I remember reading that in the manual

1 minute ago, Cdw2468 said:

I haven't played with Gemini in a while as I'm still in mercury in 1 career save, and in the shuttle era in another, but isn't there external rcs blocks that you put on? I remember reading that in the manual

Oh yea, didn't think about those, thanks for reminding me!

3 hours ago, awsumindyman said:

No. Cryo lowers the overall vehicle mass to more like what it should be, but your J2's get their Isp raised to 421 so you've still got too much deltav. It's just too big for Kerbin. If you want a Saturn that looks like a Saturn and flys like a Saturn in 1x kerbin with LFO you need to lower the J2's Isp to 165 and uprate the F1s a little to let them lift the weight. Edit: Or you take fuel out and lower the F1 thrust since your TWR is approaching 2.0 when you remove enough fuel. Either way, it's not really a Saturn anymore.

It's in it's element when you get into bigger Kerbins where you need more dv to make orbit.

2 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

I've been pondering what to do about that. It took me forever to figure out why our cryo stages were so heavy!

Edited by Jso