[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

10 hours ago, BorfoandShnogs said:

I present to thee the Saturn ID!

A whopping 14002 m/s of Delta V at sea level! (without payload of course)

I'm using a stretched S-IVB fuel tank for the first stage and for some reason it allows you to stuff way more fuel into it than what is normal.

The Saturn ID in all its glory https://imgur.com/a/7iz7KsQ

The fuel capacity of the Saturn I and Saturn IB's first stage fuel tank https://imgur.com/a/WwU0jKU

The fuel capacity of the Saturn IC's first stage fuel tank https://imgur.com/a/JVlAtyy

The fuel capacity of the Saturn ID's first stage fuel tank (6m Extension S-IVB) https://imgur.com/a/IivpfGx

I made one as well and stuffed the LM and CSM in it. Sufficient for a Mun mission and maybe a Minmus one as well.

Edited by Richmountain112
Removed duplicates

It has long been true but it's worth reiterating for those who haven't realized it yet. This is the third largest thread on the KSP forums. Only the spacex fanboy thread and the what did you do in KSP today tread are longer. This mod, this community and it's authors and architects might just be the single biggest contribution to KSP as a whole after the original devs. Congratulations on 1200 pages of history and development and discussion and here's to 1200 more!

2 hours ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

It has long been true but it's worth reiterating for those who haven't realized it yet. This is the third largest thread on the KSP forums. Only the spacex fanboy thread and the what did you do in KSP today tread are longer. This mod, this community and it's authors and architects might just be the single biggest contribution to KSP as a whole after the original devs. Congratulations on 1200 pages of history and development and discussion and here's to 1200 more!

Wow...

I cant even think of what to say but Congrats to the BDB team!

Lets hope BDB 2 gets 1200 pages too!

8 hours ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

It has long been true but it's worth reiterating for those who haven't realized it yet. This is the fourth largest thread on the KSP forums. Only the spacex fanboy thread and the what did you do in KSP today tread are longer. This mod, this community and it's authors and architects might just be the single biggest contribution to KSP as a whole after the original devs. Congratulations on 1200 pages of history and development and discussion and here's to 1200 more!

ban the user abve you as well 

also fixed it for you 

15 hours ago, Richmountain112 said:

I made one as well and stuffed the LM and CSM in it. Sufficient for a Mun mission and maybe a Minmus one as well.

I use RSS, so that could be why I can't utilize it for any missions other than LEO ones.

Here's a more refined version of it that includes;
Fins
An extended fuel tank (A S-IVB fuel tank that I turned upside down and stuck on the bottom. I rotated it a little bit so that the weird sticky outy bit on both fuel tanks line up)
A fifth E-1 engine (Not the E-1 Mk II variant)
An entire launch pad!

https://imgur.com/SDxKfTl

I have an AES LM Laboratory for LEO missions inside the S-IVB
-------------------------
Here's an EOSS with the Skylab 25kW Power Module connected to it + An Apollo Block I lurking in the distance. A special treat :)

https://imgur.com/a/RRosN1G

Edited by BorfoandShnogs

8 hours ago, BorfoandShnogs said:

I use RSS, so that could be why I can't utilize it for any missions other than LEO ones.

I use Stock System + OPM + Neidon Plus + Planet Cyran.

The Saturn IC is plenty enough for a Mun mission at stock scale (I could maybe do an Eve mission (not a manned landing; that would require a Saturn V MLV) if I squeeze enough Delta-V out of it)

I might implement some extra fuel tanks to enable biome hopping on the LM.

4 hours ago, Royalswissarmyknife said:

Makes me wonder what the biggest Ksp 2 thread is

Besides the "What did you do in KSP 2 today?" thread (which appears to be the biggest KSP 2 related thread in general), I think the biggest mod-related would be this:

I generally bounce between the KSP 1 mod releases forum and KSP 2 mod releases/development forums daily just reading replies, it's sad how little activity there is by comparison. Looking forward to a day where KSP 2 can have the same level of activity.

Hey friends! I have a few questions regarding the Venus Flyby mission. So I'm trying to replicate it for my first planetary flyby contract in my new career mode, using Eve as my Venus substitute. So here are the questions: How exactly do I go about it? Obviously I complete the interplanetary burn with the S-IVB stage, but what about after that? I assume I would then convert the S-IVB to the lab configuration, but what about after the flyby? The CSM doesn't seem to have enough Delta V to perform a return burn, at least not while attached to the lab. Was the real mission meant to undock with the lab right after the venus flyby? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me considering the CSM doesn't have enough room for supplies. Or is there another kind of maneuver that I'm not thinking of performing?  Should I wait to convert the S-IVB to the lab after using it to perform a Eve to Kerbin burn? I suppose I'm just trying to figure out the steps that were intended with this craft. Thanks to anyone willing to help me figure this one out!

Edited by Elro2k

3 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

There's no Venus orbit in that plan. You find a window where your flyby results in a return to Earth. Have fun :)

Hmm but wouldn't every Kerbin to Eve transfer window be the same in terms of their relative positions to each other? How would I go about finding that window?

Just now, Elro2k said:

Hmm but wouldn't every Kerbin to Eve transfer window be the same in terms of their relative positions to each other? How would I go about finding that window?

Yeah that's the "fun" part. It's my belief that there are some RL things that simply can't be replicated in KSP. Gravity assists that were used/planned in the past count on perturbations of the planets and precise alignments, some of which were once-in-a-lifetime opportunities. I think in KSP you can do gravity assists that yield similar results, but I don't think some RL solutions can be translated directly into KSP, especially not onto stock planets. Even RSS wouldn't be exactly the same since the planets are on rails, there's no axial tilt for Earth, etc.

Here's an image I remembered I had:

cYPD7TX.png

A few people 'round these parts have given this a go in KSRSS, but so far I don't think anyone has had much success. You can def get to Venus :)

21 hours ago, davidy12 said:

Forgive me for not paying my screenshot tax lately. 

Kerballo 11 MOI

aUcLwdt.jpg

That looks so cooool! What planet pack mode are you using? JNSQ, KSRSS, or something else? Thanks!

8 hours ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

Third largest that has anything to do with space or KSP or otherwise has anything to do with this community.

Also fixed it for you.

i apollogise for that i thought you meant all of the threads in the  forums LOl

I did an Eve flyby with the Gemini MOL (I omitted the laboratory because I didn't need it), but it exploded during reentry. It can survive from circumlunar space, though. 

I believe it's the same exact issue with the 5-Kerbal Kane exploding when returning from Sarnus.

1 minute ago, Richmountain112 said:

I did an Eve flyby with the Gemini MOL (I omitted the laboratory because I didn't need it), but it exploded during reentry. It can survive from circumlunar space, though. 

I believe it's the same exact issue with the 5-Kerbal Kane exploding when returning from Sarnus.

i could because it is designed for low kerbin orbit