[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

11 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Well, here's the H1 WIP. It's very rough but I'd like to get a mockup in game tomorrow if I have time. Bear in mind this is just the diffuse texture - the final product will be fairly shiny.

Looking good!!

7 minutes ago, Bev7787 said:

I like the mod, though the craft files are outdated and do not include TRAILS at the moment. I'm working around it.

I'll sort that out sometime this week, tbh I thought craft files weren't used that often, but now that I know some people use them, I'll try to get them pushed out. You can also use the manual, it has the assembly in it and no craft files required.

2 minutes ago, Sgt.Shutesie said:

I'll sort that out sometime this week, tbh I thought craft files weren't used that often, but now that I know some people use them, I'll try to get them pushed out. You can also use the manual, it has the assembly in it and no craft files required.

manual needs an update too. It has the wrong build of trails in it right now. I'll try and get a hold of @discoslelge. (can someone tag him? Mobile wont tag this morning. )

Hi

I really enjoy this mod but it provides way too many parts for my playstyle. I like to use stock parts for my fuel tanks and engines but I really enjoy the diversity when it comes to command pods, science equipment, probe parts and so on. Therefore, I like to have this mod installed.

I wondered if I can safely delete subdirectories in the Parts directory to remove parts that I do not use? Or does this create problems. I tried to delete stuff but the game is currently so unstable that I can not tell if the crashes have anything to do with me deleting directories. Thus I wondered if this is generally supported in this mod. Tantares supports this for example.

Also I wondered if you considered splitting this mod into smaller parts or provide a "light" version that does not provide all the parts for the specific launch vehicles but rather a selection of more versatile parts to complement stock parts.

Anyway, I really enjoy and appreciate your work. This is not meant to be criticism. 

33 minutes ago, Dodovogel said:

I wondered if I can safely delete subdirectories in the Parts directory to remove parts that I do not use? Or does this create problems. I tried to delete stuff but the game is currently so unstable that I can not tell if the crashes have anything to do with me deleting directories. Thus I wondered if this is generally supported in this mod. Tantares supports this for example.

Also I wondered if you considered splitting this mod into smaller parts or provide a "light" version that does not provide all the parts for the specific launch vehicles but rather a selection of more versatile parts to complement stock parts.

Yep! You can delete the various directories without suffering much issue. I might actually be able to split them up even a little more - I don't believe the Titan solids share textures anywhere, so they could probably be moved to a subfolder, for example. Just don't delete the 'shared' folder. This mod is just a parts mod, it wouldn't cause crashed except for contributing to memory issues. I also get constant crashes even in vanilla. Assuming you are playing the 0.10.5 release, the only folders you want to keep would be... Antennas, Mercury, Gemini, ProbesExpansion, Science, Explorer... Those are all the probe and command pod parts. 

I have considered splitting up the mod. The overwhelming size is the number one criticism I receive (that's not a bad word for me :) ) but I feel like I go back and forth every time I talk about it. I perfectly understand the reason - the mod is very overwhelming, especially for someone that doesn't care about having some proposed version of some obscure launcher. But essentially it comes down to that being, well, a lot of time and work. Being the incredibly disorganized person I am, it would probably result in a lot of problems with things missing or whatever... What would be easier, maybe, would be just one or two packs, similar to how @Beale has split his up. That would be easier to organize if I split them, rather than >10 packs to meet everyone's needs, which is what I always think when it comes up. Maybe like 3, one for the probe stuff, one for the launchers, and one for the stuff I never know what to call, the capsules and station parts and stuff.

EDIT: Oh, also, welcome to the forums @Dodovogel!

Edited by CobaltWolf

2 hours ago, Sgt.Shutesie said:

they are a good reference indeed.

2 hours ago, Sgt.Shutesie said:

9 minutes ago, Drakenex said:

they are a good reference indeed.

@DiscoSlelge has been working on an updated version of the manual. Not a TON of new stuff, seeing as there wasn't terribly much in this past release. But there is an updated Leo CSM (with the new RCS layout, etc), the updated Hermes, and the Hermes/Muo and Leo LLV rockets. It's also being reorganized - it turns out just ONE section for rockets isn't quite enough haha. So they're being divided into 5 classes, which basically coincide with <= 1.25m, 1.5m, 1.875m, 2.5m / 3.125m, and then the Saturns. I was able to find a link to the last draft he sent me if @Bev7787 wants to take a look.

Also, if anyone has experience + access to Adobe InDesign, we could use a proofreader to go through and edit everything. English isn't Disco's first language and I keep forgetting to proofread it and clean up the formatting and make it more uniform. I'd appreciate it! :) 

11 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Well, here's the H1 WIP. It's very rough but I'd like to get a mockup in game tomorrow if I have time. Bear in mind this is just the diffuse texture - the final product will be fairly shiny. Sorry it's all I managed to get done tonight - RL stuff spilled over into 'me-time'.

*snippity snip snip*

That's a nice looking engine you got there!

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

@Beale has split his up. That would be easier to organize if I split them, rather than >10 packs to meet everyone's needs

I'd love that :)

I started out with a separate mod for every craft, to download separately and merged into the same "Tantares" folder.
Problems:

• Some people do not understand how to merge folders (GUI operating systems available since the middle of the 1980s, but I won't cast judgement).
  • If you don't merge folders, the GameData folder becomes a grand library of tiny separate mods (Is this a bad thing? Maybe).
  • Keeping all the separate packs up to date is a big pain and the modding becomes more work than fun.
  • Many don't want to download 10 different things and want everything in one package (I think this is fair, but keeping that "all-in-one" package up to date with all the individual packs is another problem).

What I am saying is, BDB and BDBLV is good. BDB1, BDB2... BDB10 is bad, and will cause you head and heart ache.

Edited by Beale

11 minutes ago, Beale said:

I'd love that :)
I started out with a separate mod for every craft, to download separately and merged into the same "Tantares" folder.
What I am saying is, BDB and BDBLV is good. BDB1, BDB2... BDB10 is bad, and will cause you head and heart ache.

That's about where I am. I believe the compatibility files for various parts are essentially modular as well, so splitting them up shouldn't be too hard. I think I would elect for a third separate pack, for the probe parts. Of course, that means I have to figure out how to update the CKAN configs... 

Also, is/will there be a Trails agency logo? If not I can see what it would take to make one. Also, if you have a moment, and take a quick look at this list and let me know if there's anything you'd like added that can be passed on to your standalone release. :) 

Yep! You can delete the various directories without suffering much issue. I might actually be able to split them up even a little more - I don't believe the Titan solids share textures anywhere, so they could probably be moved to a subfolder, for example. Just don't delete the 'shared' folder. This mod is just a parts mod, it wouldn't cause crashed except for contributing to memory issues. I also get constant crashes even in vanilla. Assuming you are playing the 0.10.5 release, the only folders you want to keep would be... Antennas, Mercury, Gemini, ProbesExpansion, Science, Explorer... Those are all the probe and command pod parts. 

Cool, thanks for this list!

What would be easier, maybe, would be just one or two packs, similar to how @Beale has split his up. That would be easier to organize if I split them, rather than >10 packs to meet everyone's needs, which is what I always think when it comes up. 

I would really appreciate that and I think that would be perfectly fine. It would make the parts more accessible to people that only want more "stuff" to embellish their custom spacecraft with. The launcher parts look great but I think they suit a different playstyle as they are often quite specific and hard to mix with not so 'historically inspired' creations.

EDIT: Oh, also, welcome to the forums @Dodovogel!

Thanks, it was about time. I have been lurking here for the past 3 years :wink:

57 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

That's about where I am. I believe the compatibility files for various parts are essentially modular as well, so splitting them up shouldn't be too hard. I think I would elect for a third separate pack, for the probe parts. Of course, that means I have to figure out how to update the CKAN configs... 

Also, is/will there be a Trails agency logo? If not I can see what it would take to make one. Also, if you have a moment, and take a quick look at this list and let me know if there's anything you'd like added that can be passed on to your standalone release. :) 

I can tell you from an MM perspective that missing parts won't cause any issue at all so things like my AR patches would simply skip what isn't there and move on to the next. 

2 minutes ago, rasta013 said:

I can tell you from an MM perspective that missing parts won't cause any issue at all so things like my AR patches would simply skip what isn't there and move on to the next. 

Speaking of which, I don't think I actually have the correct AR patches. Here's what is in the Github. Would you be able to submit a PR taking that one down and uploading the updated ones you made? I thought I had them but apparently not.

There is... but I was not so happy with it. :wink: 

07ace929ad.jpg

f2503bc795.png

5b64c96ed6.png

For the other, I would enjoy using the RCS parts you have put together. Really the pressing matter is currently creating the IVAs. Too slow a process.

Edit: The abbreviation "Trails Manufacturing Company" is actually a better fit for a logo

96c2489080.jpg
bffb7b790d.jpg

Edited by Beale

5 hours ago, fs10inator said:

5 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

manual needs an update too. It has the wrong build of trails in it right now. I'll try and get a hold of @discoslelge. (can someone tag him? Mobile wont tag this morning. )

I'm here, so yeah there's the new version of the manual so @CobaltWolf can change it on the OP page, just if you want to know, the first version of the manual (so 1.2) was seen more than 800 times and downloaded 134 times. I want to thanks you for that I didn't expected so much attention for this :P, love <3

1 minute ago, Beale said:

There is... but I was not so happy with it. :wink: 

07ace929ad.jpg

For the other, I would enjoy using the RCS parts you have put together. Really the pressing matter is currently creating the IVAs. Too slow a process.

I think you could fix it if you make the blue lighter. Here, I was bored at work and played with it a bit.

JLTEQz1.png

ack, I made them as part of a larger texture sheet (I am a dum) but honestly it wouldn't be too hard to rip them off onto like a 256 along with a couple extra bits, like the retro solids...

@rasta013 saw the PR, thanks!

@DiscoSlelge sweet. We need to add some stuff like the Agena Target Vehicle, the canon versions of the resupply craft... the spacecraft section feels so empty lol.

8 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I think you could fix it if you make the blue lighter. Here, I was bored at work and played with it a bit.

JLTEQz1.png

Thanks! 

But, I think I have fell into the design abyss. I may have to choose your redesign.

f943c445d0.png

Edited by Beale

28 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

@DiscoSlelge sweet. We need to add some stuff like the Agena Target Vehicle, the canon versions of the resupply craft... the spacecraft section feels so empty lol.

I'm going to return home on monday so I can work on it and add stuff again :P

2 hours ago, Dodovogel said:

Cool, thanks for this list!

I would really appreciate that and I think that would be perfectly fine. It would make the parts more accessible to people that only want more "stuff" to embellish their custom spacecraft with. The launcher parts look great but I think they suit a different playstyle as they are often quite specific and hard to mix with not so 'historically inspired' creations.

Thanks, it was about time. I have been lurking here for the past 3 years :wink:

I somehow missed your reply. No problem, it's the least I can do to help in the meantime. I personally like having all the different parts so i can mix and match them however I want, though I don't get much time to play :wink: I can see how the launchers wind up being 'more of the same' though. 

39 minutes ago, Beale said:

Thanks! 

But, I think I have fell into the design abyss. I may have to choose your redesign.

f943c445d0.png

That is a dark hole you've gone down. I didn't see your edits (basically assume every post I make is made over the course of about 30 minutes of interruptions) but I think something with TMC would work better. If that's supposed to be a wagon wheel maybe @Angel-125 can provide some insight haha.

18 minutes ago, DiscoSlelge said:

I'm going to return home on monday so I can work on it and add stuff again :P

Noice. 

On 5/23/2016 at 0:40 PM, CobaltWolf said:

Can y'all download the latest commit off GitHub? I tried to upload some possible fixes for the Gemini parts - basically I strengthened the joints between the pod, RCS module, and the parachute. Let me know if it helps - make sure you build the crafts from scratch, I don't know if using old ones will have an effect.

Ideally, I would want you to explicitly recreate the circumstances of a reentry that broke the pod (ie tell me what your initial orbit was, and then what your periapsis was for reentry) using the version that breaks, to verify it, then do the same thing with the new version.

There is some weirdness going on with the Github today - if it says the latest commit was 'Added SOLTAN parts' then just download the files from Dropbox.

Unfortunately still having parachute problems. 

14 minutes ago, sp1989 said:

Unfortunately still having parachute problems. 

Potentially useful information would be FAR/No FAR, surface speed/altitude at initial deployment, surface speed/altitude at main deployment. Having trouble reproducing this.