[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

5 hours ago, GoldForest said:

P1 Truss attached to Freedom. Yes. The entire thing is the P1 truss. The ETS Freedom Truss has only 5 parts to it. S0, which is (supposed) to launch with Challenger. P1, S1, P2, S2. 

Also, ignore the solar panel clipping the radiator... I... didn't realize these were non-closing solar panels when I chose them... problem is they are the closest panels I have to the depictions... also, ignore the fact that S0 changed shape and size... (The small one wasn't going to work out...)

Also, for those wondering, yes, the station is oriented correctly. The solar truss is "hung" from the station like this. 

Full album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Edit: Cheated a new station up with Benjee's Tantares Solar Panel, so no more clipping.
mnMpohi.png

I see you, too, are embracing the Use Rockets, Not Shuttles Build concept. (Although if this is ETS freedom, then it makes sense.) 

Station is looking good.   And yea there are a lot of parts needed to make either the IRL Freedom  or the ETS one.

I probably should open a sandbox career so I can build a station too!.....  

21 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

I see you, too, are embracing the Use Rockets, Not Shuttles Build concept. (Although if this is ETS freedom, then it makes sense.) 

Station is looking good.   And yea there are a lot of parts needed to make either the IRL Freedom  or the ETS one.

I probably should open a sandbox career so I can build a station too!.....  

Irl freedom is pretty much in Habtech. There's no missing parts as far as I'm aware. ETS is the only things missing.

And yes, this is ETS Freedom, so rocket launches, not shuttle.

Thanks to Rodger's Waterfall-fu, we now have gorgeous plumes on the SERJ engine.

This thing is an absolute blast to fly - I easily hit Mach 5 in level flight, though you have to be careful about your altitude.

RVzL2ZK.png
dyfXZNP.png

The Delta Wing variant needed some love too - I already nearly forgot I'd added these!

OdVkqoB.png
EQWuXr8.png

There is already a custom tank type that changes the Liquid Fuel and Oxidizer ratio, for more flight time in air breathing mode. I am also working on these proposed "slipper" tanks that go on top of the side tunnels, on either side of the dorsal fin. They will also include supplementary aviation fuel.

xuAvBCL.png
gSXbUjo.png

32 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Thanks to Rodger's Waterfall-fu, we now have gorgeous plumes on the SERJ engine.

This thing is an absolute blast to fly - I easily hit Mach 5 in level flight, though you have to be careful about your altitude.

RVzL2ZK.png
dyfXZNP.png

The Delta Wing variant needed some love too - I already nearly forgot I'd added these!

OdVkqoB.png
EQWuXr8.png

There is already a custom tank type that changes the Liquid Fuel and Oxidizer ratio, for more flight time in air breathing mode. I am also working on these proposed "slipper" tanks that go on top of the side tunnels, on either side of the dorsal fin. They will also include supplementary aviation fuel.

xuAvBCL.png
gSXbUjo.png

Have you considered making an alt-history variant with a cargo bay in place of the fuel tanks, and like an AJ10 for orbital correction or something? BDB does not yet have any kind of spaceplane, and if I'm honest those Dyna-Soar parts that the KNES dude adopted are showing their age... Plus, imagine how much it would increase the lego-ability of these parts!

1 hour ago, Entr8899 said:

Have you considered making an alt-history variant with a cargo bay in place of the fuel tanks, and like an AJ10 for orbital correction or something? BDB does not yet have any kind of spaceplane, and if I'm honest those Dyna-Soar parts that the KNES dude adopted are showing their age... Plus, imagine how much it would increase the lego-ability of these parts!

If you replace the fuel tanks with a cargo bay where does the fuel go? :P

In all seriousness, I understand the appeal of an “X-15 Shuttle”. But it’s so far outside the capabilities of the real thing. It couldn’t even stand up to a short duration Mach 4.5 run without being coated in ablator. It doesn’t have as much Delta V as you think, and even the SERJ engine would be overly reliant on the limited oxidizer to provide the thrust. Capability-wise, it gets compared to a Mercury with wings, but even that’s generous. So there’s very limited attitude control, let alone translating RCS. And X-15 is small - I think it comes in at under 0.9375m in game, so there isn’t much you can even fit inside it. 

So orbital X-15 by itself is a pipe dream, let alone doing anything useful. There is the small payload bay behind the cockpit, but that’s really just for science payloads. I realize that I’ve effectively made an in-game dead end, but if you really want then make up a successor that uses the hypothetical X-15 tech advancements to create something at a useful scale. 

27 minutes ago, SLS is cool said:

when I check ckan for updates, blue dog does not come up when does the new version come to ckan?

That's because it's in development, you have to download it manually.

Been really interested in the F-104 recently, mostly because my RP-1 contract needs Mach 2 broken and it's the coolest looking plane for the job.

Is it a stretch to ask about the NF-104? Maybe just the AR2-3 on the back of it? Possibly a stretch. Buuuuuuut X-15 IS a plane, so....

At least, what is your personal opinion on the plane regardless of BDB, @CobaltWolf?

Posted (edited)
On 9/7/2022 at 1:20 PM, CobaltWolf said:

I wouldn't do the XLR-99 unless the entire X-15 was on the table, which isn't something I have time for at the moment. I've thought about it as a possibility for KSP2.

how the turntables

Edited by Socowez
accidental double post

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Socowez said:

Been really interested in the F-104 recently, mostly because my RP-1 contract needs Mach 2 broken and it's the coolest looking plane for the job.

Is it a stretch to ask about the NF-104? Maybe just the AR2-3 on the back of it? Possibly a stretch. Buuuuuuut X-15 IS a plane, so....

At least, what is your personal opinion on the plane regardless of BDB, @CobaltWolf?

F-104... the sexiest Piece of junk to come out of the Lockheed and Kelly Johnson's head.

Actual usable roles:  Sounding rocket replacement... killer of pilots... nothing else *Test Pilot trainer, sucker of funds from all of NATO/OTAN*

Looks:  out of sight

Capabilities:  Wut?

Performance:  Way ahead of the pack but not useful

Edited by Pappystein

1 minute ago, Socowez said:

how the turntables

Well, to be fair KSP2 hadn't completely crashed and burned and exploded got killed to death by that point :sticktongue:

So my career has been progressing, but I have run into the issue that most of my moon probes burn up in atmo when I return...  Sadly :(  So I switched to Kerbin probes... this is 30 seconds after payload seperation between a higher performance Redstone (literally just more fuel and a couple SRBs for takeoff) and the ground science probe based on Agena parts mostly... 

I am using the Baluttes because they work great with BDB (too bad there is no 0.9375m or 4.25m diameter versions!~)  And as you can see, I have a Balutte on my payload... and back through the central hole of the ring... another Balute?  Yep the Rocket itself is recovered via Balutte and Parachute!  Works great!

sAFWvYa.jpg

Also, now that the Minuteman parts are in BTA...  Proper Saturn II INT-19 can be made:

sTxr93u.png

Spoiler

WujNQvJ.png

Err Wait!  1,2,3,4,5,6,7!  I thought this was an INT-19, not an INT-17!!!!

yVBNJOm.png

Yes those are all RL20s, first stage is 7 RL-20 Boosters and 2nd stage is 2 RL-20 Vacuum engines.   This rocket was mostly for fun but it worked well.   I ran 8+4 on the M55 boosters and attained a TWR at launch of 1.37 which gives a little room for more payload.

8 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

F-104... the sexiest Piece of junk to come out of the Lockheed and Kelly Johnson's head.

Actual usable roles:  Sounding rocket replacement... killer of pilots... nothing else

Looks:  out of sight

Capabilities:  Wut?

Performance:  Way ahead of the pack but not useful

Well you just sound like a bundle of fun at parties /j

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Socowez said:

Well you just sound like a bundle of fun at parties /j

Yep, everyone loves bringing an aviation historian to the parties.   I just call it like it is...

But F-104 is damn sexy.   Soo many innovations and the one that was deadliest was the combination of the state of engine technology with the ultra-thin wing.

1st aircraft armed with a 20mm M61 Vulcan Gatling cannon

1st aircraft in production with higher than Mach2 speed

Many Time to height/time to climb records

Destroyer of my favorite Semi Truck.  

She went BIG!   But she wasn't worth the cost to make her.  Just my opinion

Edited by Pappystein

25 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

So my career has been progressing, but I have run into the issue that most of my moon probes burn up in atmo when I return...  Sadly :(  So I switched to Kerbin probes... this is 30 seconds after payload seperation between a higher performance Redstone (literally just more fuel and a couple SRBs for takeoff) and the ground science probe based on Agena parts mostly... 

I am using the Baluttes because they work great with BDB (too bad there is no 0.9375m or 4.25m diameter versions!~)  And as you can see, I have a Balutte on my payload... and back through the central hole of the ring... another Balute?  Yep the Rocket itself is recovered via Balutte and Parachute!  Works great!

sAFWvYa.jpg

Also, now that the Minuteman parts are in BTA...  Proper Saturn II INT-19 can be made:

sTxr93u.png

Reveal hidden contents

WujNQvJ.png

Err Wait!  1,2,3,4,5,6,7!  I thought this was an INT-19, not an INT-17!!!!

yVBNJOm.png

Yes those are all RL20s, first stage is 7 RL-20 Boosters and 2nd stage is 2 RL-20 Vacuum engines.   This rocket was mostly for fun but it worked well.   I ran 8+4 on the M55 boosters and attained a TWR at launch of 1.37 which gives a little room for more payload.

Wait, there's a balutte mod!?

7 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Yep, everyone loves bringing an aviation historian to the parties.   I just call it like it is...

But F-104 is damn sexy.   Soo many innovations and the one that was deadliest was the combination of the state of engine technology with the ultra-thin wing.

1st aircraft armed with a 20mm M61 Vulcan Gatling cannon

1st aircraft in production with higher than Mach2 speed

Many Time to height/time to climb records

Destroyer of my favorite Semi Truck.  

She went BIG!   But she wasn't worth the cost to make her.  Just my opinion

I don't have the credentials to argue with you lol. But what's this about a semi truck? 

50 minutes ago, Socowez said:

I don't have the credentials to argue with you lol. But what's this about a semi truck? 

North_American_XB-70_above_runway_ECN-79

Showing all 10 wheels that makes it a Semi truck (in conjunction with it's 50,000+ lb payload :P )

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Socowez said:

Real Talk, there is already a mod that has the F-104 nose, inlets and wing... If I recall correctly (checking now will update the post when I find it or fail to)

Best one I found... is the dropbox link on the OP here...

So my memory was not great :D   But it looks like full IVA if that helps

Edited by Pappystein

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Real Talk, there is already a mod that has the F-104 nose, inlets and wing... If I recall correctly (checking now will update the post when I find it or fail to)

Best one I found... is the dropbox link on the OP here...

So my memory was not great :D   But it looks like full IVA if that helps

There’s Moderately Plane Related also.

https://github.com/Drag0nD3str0yer/Moderately-Plane-Related

Edited by Spike88

6 hours ago, Socowez said:

There are already a few F-104 craft files on the RO discord that are pretty dang good.  This one in particular is great: https://discord.com/channels/319857228905447436/528995196776742912/1152253755711037551

There's also a really good new X-15 file *wink*: https://discord.com/channels/319857228905447436/528995196776742912/1247433860321509407

Posted (edited)

So... Apparently, the Challenger module is 10m in diameter, making it 6.25m in KSP... 

11042795.jpg

I guess this is my fault for assuming the size of the docking port and eye balling it... 

So apparently the CADS on Freedom is like... 1.875 or even 2.5 in KSP, at least to me they seem like they'd be that size... *le sigh*

fetch.php?cache=&media=timelines:foc-c.j

According to this picture, the Node should be 3.75m (KSP), same as the modules... 

*Aggravation sounds*

With E of Pi being essentially gone from the community, there's no real way to ask what size the modules actually are. The only size mentioned is for Challenger, the core module, and it's the size of an S-II tank basically. 10m wide, 32m long, base to tip. So, a shorter fatter Skylab in a sense... but the S-II won't fit inside the H03 fairings, so either the BDB team made the H03 fairings smaller than they should be, or ETS's Challenger's dimensions are wrong...  Or I'm wrong... thinking about it, the 10m wide, 32m long section could be the fairing itself. Yeah, I think that's it. 

I still made Challenger and Node 1 too small though... 

Going off this picture, Apollo Blk IV module is 2.5m, KSP. Node 2, which it is docked to, looks to be wider than Apollo, so it's probably 3.75m (Or 3.125, but we don't have 3.125 station parts anywhere, so defaulting to 3.75m)... Challenger is definitely wider than Node 2, so it's either 4.375 (Nothing in game), 5m (Most likely since it has to fit in the fairing), or 5.625 (Not in game)

Then there's the tunnel between Challenger and Node 1. It's either 1.875 or 2.5... I can't tell.

*Copies another image to paint.net and does line comparison*

Inconclusive... So, just have to eyeball it... and after doing so, I'm confident the tunnel is 1.875m in diameter... 

Sorry everyone for the rant, I just noticed my mistake and was a little... heated about it. 

Going to fix everything and cheat the new station up... *Grumbles*

Edited by GoldForest

2 hours ago, GoldForest said:

So... Apparently, the Challenger module is 10m in diameter, making it 6.25m in KSP... 

11042795.jpg

I guess this is my fault for assuming the size of the docking port and eye balling it... 

So apparently the CADS on Freedom is like... 1.875 or even 2.5 in KSP, at least to me they seem like they'd be that size... *le sigh*

fetch.php?cache=&media=timelines:foc-c.j

According to this picture, the Node should be 3.75m (KSP), same as the modules... 

*Aggravation sounds*

With E of Pi being essentially gone from the community, there's no real way to ask what size the modules actually are. The only size mentioned is for Challenger, the core module, and it's the size of an S-II tank basically. 10m wide, 32m long, base to tip. So, a shorter fatter Skylab in a sense... but the S-II won't fit inside the H03 fairings, so either the BDB team made the H03 fairings smaller than they should be, or ETS's Challenger's dimensions are wrong...  Or I'm wrong... thinking about it, the 10m wide, 32m long section could be the fairing itself. Yeah, I think that's it. 

I still made Challenger and Node 1 too small though... 

Going off this picture, Apollo Blk IV module is 2.5m, KSP. Node 2, which it is docked to, looks to be wider than Apollo, so it's probably 3.75m (Or 3.125, but we don't have 3.125 station parts anywhere, so defaulting to 3.75m)... Challenger is definitely wider than Node 2, so it's either 4.375 (Nothing in game), 5m (Most likely since it has to fit in the fairing), or 5.625 (Not in game)

Then there's the tunnel between Challenger and Node 1. It's either 1.875 or 2.5... I can't tell.

*Copies another image to paint.net and does line comparison*

Inconclusive... So, just have to eyeball it... and after doing so, I'm confident the tunnel is 1.875m in diameter... 

Sorry everyone for the rant, I just noticed my mistake and was a little... heated about it. 

Going to fix everything and cheat the new station up... *Grumbles*

Relatable.

On 6/4/2024 at 6:07 PM, GoldForest said:

Not really... we're missing the Solar truss for ETS Freedom, which is a lot smaller than ISS solar truss.

Benjee says he has no interest in making the truss as well. We'll have to use the oversized ISS truss.... unless some mod that already has ETS stuff makes the truss themselves... *wink wink nudge nudge* I kid, of course. 

But yeah, the 3.75 parts allow to kitbash Challenger and the 3.75m Kibo and 3.75m centerfuge.

I might be wrong but I think this fork of habtech2 had the ets trusses, though it's not up to date with the main version. https://github.com/LilBread402/HabTech2/tree/master