[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

33 minutes ago, Rodger said:

Even some smaller rockets have a decent excess of dv in 2.5x. The higher dv requirements for orbit might hit Saturn 1B pretty hard though lol

Poor Saturn IB.

1 hour ago, Zorg said:

Never tried it. Some of the smaller rockets might struggle. Not sure how the mid size will do. The very large rockets should be fine. Since KSP fuel mass fractions are higher than IRL, larger rockets gain more advantage from their size relative to the real world.

Can confirm, Still works great. It properly makes sure you bring the right lifter for the job. Might test further with the smaller ones and see how they go. Atlas V -421  can get things to geosync at the 3.2x scale

58 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Poor Saturn IB.

Superior Saturn IC, I don't care that it isn't real. Big Engine :D

Edited by Aussie Toad Stool

20 hours ago, Rodger said:

For the EC, that's going to be incompatibility with Interstellar Extended, and we don't provide support for that on our side. If they provide patches for BDB, they may need to be updated, so you could report it to them.

The right click will be due to some other mod, and I'm immediately suspect of KSP Recall. I'd recommend uninstalling that version of tweakscale and it's dependencies, and install Tweakscale Rescaled instead.

Thanks dude! Did what you suggested and everything's fixed!

8 hours ago, GoldForest said:

SLDCOM (TLD) - Gunter's Space Page (skyrocket.de)

Found it.  Also, it's TLD, not TSD. 

Also, only picture of TLD is on Gunter's as well. 

sldcom__1.jpg

And I can't find any documents relating to it. Probably won't. It's the US Armed Forces. Doubt a FOIA request would do anything either, since it's military communications. Yeah, it's old tech, but if they use any part of that tech today still, they'll protect it. Plus, the satellites are still up there. I doubt they're still working, but you never know. Hubble is 30 years old and it still works. 

ACtually FAS.org has several pictures of it (or did 3 years ago.)   I have a Tiny bit of info.  it is an Aerojet AJ23 engine (meaning it is the same basic design as a LR87 or LR91 (they are also AJ23 engines) with I think a 6000lb/f thrust (Deep memory here so I could be really wrong on the performance of the engine.)   I know it is an AJ23 because I discovered the stage while doing my research on the Titan engine program.

The payload adapter which sit ABOVE the tank and structure you see there is missing in this photo.   Also note their is another one you see the back side of in the bottom corner not outfitted with all the tanks or the engine yet.  I don't frequent the FAS.org website but it appears they they have buried all the goodies behind some sort of pay-wall.  Only the barest refrences to "Titan" remain public.  You used to be able to pull up hundreds of article on Titan there (and any other Strategic weapon system.   While I have never completely agreed with some of the political stance, EG a Titan IV satellite launcher is a strategic weapon still.... They were a good source for "goodies" like TLD.   I will see what I have in my archives and post it later

EDIT  Found one of my sources still up.. Lots of photos:

https://www.globalsecurity.org/space/systems/sbwass_n.htm

Edit2:  AJ2
3 engine (I still haven't sourced WHICH ONE) is 900lb/f thrust. with a maximum of 11,500lb total Propellant MMH/NTO

Edit 3:  AJ-23-153 engine (151,152,154 were also valid engines of various different fuel feeds for this platform.)  Thrust was actually 3750lb/f at 328 Vac ISP on 128lbs empty mass with a 136:1 Expansion ratio

-23-151 is pump vs pressure fed, increasing mass, and power consumption but generating 6000lbf thrust with VAC ISP of 334  on a larger expansion ratio of: 154:1,  322lbs empty weight
-23-152 I have no data on but potentially kerolox.   No long term use (so canceled)  No data on actual engine
-23-154 is Hydrolox engine, meaning no long term use (so canceled)  No data on actual engine this would stretch the stage significantly as well.
-23-155 No data
-23-156 is -23-153 with 400:1 expansion ratio same thrust but ISP is now 343 and empty mass is 104lbs without the bell extension (no mass with bell extension is listed but I would imagine it puts the engine in the 135-145lb range.

The Above information is from the speculative report  OTV for NASA.   OTV was the cover name for civilian use of the SLD/TLD.  The drawings are similar in basic arrangement but not the same (RCS booms are mounted next to engine instead of next to payload and the tanks are significantly larger in diameter than 52")   The now mostly Defunct BBOW website, used to have a lot of info on these engines

https://web.archive.org/web/20180816051522/http://www.alternatewars.com/BBOW/Space_Engines/Aerojet_Engines.htm
https://web.archive.org/web/20181015000000*/www.alternatewars.com/BBOW/Space_Engines/1984_Martin_Marietta_OTV_Excerpt.pdf

@benjee10  If you wanted to include the Interim control module for the ISS this is the satellite dispenser it was based on.

Edited by Pappystein

11 hours ago, Aussie Toad Stool said:

Can confirm, Still works great. It properly makes sure you bring the right lifter for the job. Might test further with the smaller ones and see how they go. Atlas V -421  can get things to geosync at the 3.2x scale

Superior Saturn IC, I don't care that it isn't real. Big Engine :D

Bah!   S-IB-C2 with 5 E-1s for the win!    The ONE part I wish we had for Saturn is the C-2 lenght S-IB tankage (it is something like 6--12feet shorter than S-IB as flown with 1/5th less fuel.

The RD180 derived 2.5m mount is up on github now. Available in 1x, 2x and 4x flavours. And each is available with and without the Atlas V lox pipe connection.

r95mwtM.png

qkCTZ4Y.png

Uqv9xwE.png

cKKEHkc.png

1A6QABL.png

19 minutes ago, Zorg said:

The RD180 derived 2.5m mount is up on github now. Available in 1x, 2x and 4x flavours. And each is available with and without the Atlas V lox pipe connection.

Does it have the same paint switches?

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

Does it have the same paint switches?

Yep.

Speaking of:

A6zHTlI.png

I've been adding customized colour swatches for all the other paint switches over the last week or so, so look forward to that next update too (or just on dev now)

7 minutes ago, Rodger said:

Yep.

Speaking of:

I've been adding customized colour swatches for all the other paint switches over the last week or so, so look forward to that next update too (or just on dev now)

Good lord! That's going to take you forever! 

8 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Been meaning to ask since I do not recognize the parts,  What are the black domes on your Aardvark?

ISS reaction control wheels from Habtech embedded sideways. 

Edited by GoldForest

44 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Good lord! That's going to take you forever! 

Well I've already finished: Redstone, Vanguard, Thor, Titan/LDC, Delta/IV, Atlas/V, Saturn, Able/star, Agena, Centaur, Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, LEM, Skylab, SRMs, Fairing bases, and Decouplers. Only really the probes left!

7 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

ISS reaction control wheels from Habtech embedded sideways. 

Ahh, so that is how you are controling the off center thrust of the RCS... I end up putting a "guidance Mono tank" with RCS on the other side and have it scoot out of the way just before docking ( generally the Aardvark GCU + a Stock 2.5m Mono tank and 4 R4D Quad thrusters, an antenna and 4 small Explorer/pioneer tracking solar wings.

5 minutes ago, Rodger said:

Well I've already finished: Redstone, Vanguard, Thor, Titan/LDC, Delta/IV, Atlas/V, Saturn, Able/star, Agena, Centaur, Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, LEM, Skylab, SRMs, Fairing bases, and Decouplers. Only really the probes left!

Dang. 

3 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Ahh, so that is how you are controling the off center thrust of the RCS... I end up putting a "guidance Mono tank" with RCS on the other side and have it scoot out of the way just before docking ( generally the Aardvark GCU + a Stock 2.5m Mono tank and 4 R4D Quad thrusters, an antenna and 4 small Explorer/pioneer tracking solar wings.

Yeah, I also don't like how RCS induces delta V changes when doing maneuvers besides docking. I know they kind of cancel each other out when it finishes the turn around or whatever it's doing, but I still dislike that. Makes mechjeb a little touchy too. So, to control the craft outside of docking, I use RCWs

Edited by GoldForest

15 hours ago, Zorg said:

r95mwtM.png

qkCTZ4Y.png

Uqv9xwE.png

cKKEHkc.png

1A6QABL.png

ALWAYS love seeing more generic and ahistorical parts like this. Love me some funky kitbashing.

3 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Sxo91Fc.png

@Zorg Any plans to add paint switches to the Atlas V fairing? At least a version that turns the red ring white?

Nope. I don't want to add a new 2k texture just for that thin strip.

45 minutes ago, Entr8899 said:

What exactly is the J-1a Atlas variant thing? I can't find any info about it anywhere, other than a LEGO mockup someone made once :huh:

Japanese proposal to use Atlas tanks with an NK33, though it went through quite a few evolutions on paper.  Consider it a sort of generic 1.875m mount.

1682899759658.png?ex=667257a7&is=66710627&hm=d3996d59037c80acd948eb59fc29eac112e2c9f8457563d60a6efe69bbe08673&