[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

29 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

90 is a little low, that's just basically 5km away from the atmosphere. I never shoot for anything lower than 100km.

Your PVG settings can also play a role. You can try shooting for a 75m/s gravity turn start speed and a 0.4 degree per second turn.

Will try this next time, thanks for the advice 

Might be sounding dumb... but for the Sina, you make mention of quadrants, but dont really say anywhere that I can find where the starting one is. I assumed it was where the lander entrance/exit is, but then some of the parts dont line up well.  So what exactly is quadrant 1, and do we go clockwise or not around from there?

8 minutes ago, JediRangerkendor said:

Might be sounding dumb... but for the Sina, you make mention of quadrants, but dont really say anywhere that I can find where the starting one is. I assumed it was where the lander entrance/exit is, but then some of the parts dont line up well.  So what exactly is quadrant 1, and do we go clockwise or not around from there?

main-qimg-fb0e5aeeee53ea1cb9f63ad60deb7e

Quadrant 1 is to the right of the ladder if you're facing the front side of the LM, where the rover goes. It then goes counterclockwise around the corners.  The Descent stage has a B9 switch to open up Q1 to insert the rover. Q1 is the only quadrant that opens up, so it's not that hard to find.

ANd what do you mean the parts don't line up? Do you have pictures of this?

Edited by GoldForest

TITAN/X-15

I kitbashed a launcher for the X-15 based on the Titan II. It took a lot of testing to get the parameters set right, but in the end she flies beautifully.

Spoiler

7pBtT9g.jpeg

rF9JuCM.jpeg

agRcaAO.jpeg

It is a standard Titan II first stage (with the upper tank half fueled), topped with an empty 2nd stage tank (no engines and no decoupler). A Titan III control unit sits atop the 2nd stage tank, with a Tweakscaled Soltan nosecone. The wings were necessary for adequate control with the X-15 on the side. They are Tweakscaled Stock units. At first I did not have the 2nd stage tank and used only the 1st stage. It was not controllable as the rocket ran low on fuel. Uncontrollable pitch ups and tumbling resulted. The extra length along with the wings and placing the X-15 close to the top of the rocket did the trick. I used a Titan III SRB decoupler to attach the X-15. I had to fly the X-15 without the lower ventral fin, but in actuality the X-15 flew many missions without it.

Spoiler

Qbf6Prs.jpeg

CZI61CK.png

The launch site was a 2.5x KSRSS Cape Canaveral LC-20 with the destination being the runway at the Wallops Flight Facility on Virginia's eastern shore. Mechjeb did an adequate job of controlling the flight, with the roll program at launch being a bit jerky, but controllable. The stack flew well up to staging, which was very smooth. This was a steep 50 degree climb out, but that was necessary to avoid overshooting Wallops.

Spoiler

s8fczdM.jpeg

XAF3qe6.jpeg

IDPF1vf.jpeg

The XLR-99 pushed the vehicle to 150 km without a problem, and the pilot, Colonel Steve Austin, gathered some science from the science bay and the wingtip pods before buttoning up for reentry.

Spoiler

Bpbltgv.jpeg

SOGJxq2.jpeg

Reentry occurred with a 40 degree pitch up, and Col. Austin was able to hold that for a bit, before running into some instability in the transonic regime. He pulled it out and found himself pretty close to target, although a XLR-99 relight was needed to get himself lined up properly.

Spoiler

kL6LTsp.jpeg

IP2I4rz.jpeg

9yj7Xkr.jpeg

A sudden wind gust (yep, that's what we will call it :wink:), pushed the aircraft right of centerline, but Austin recovered nicely and afterwards posed proudly with his aircraft.

The booster offers a lot of flight possibilities, as it has plenty of margin for performance. High speed flights or even cross country flights seem entirely possible. Cool stuff @CobaltWolf!

Edited by DaveyJ576
typo

8 minutes ago, DaveyJ576 said:

TITAN/X-15

I kitbashed a launcher for the X-15 based on the Titan II. It took a lot of testing to get the parameters set right, but in the end she flies beautifully.

It is a standard Titan II first stage (with the upper tank half fueled), topped with an empty 2nd stage tank (no engines and no decoupler). A Titan III control unit sits atop the 2nd stage tank, with a Tweakscaled Soltan nosecone. The wings were necessary for adequate control with the X-15 on the side. They are Tweakscaled Stock units. At first I did not have the 2nd stage tank and used only the 1st stage. It was not controllable as the rocket ran low on fuel. Uncontrollable pitch ups and tumbling resulted. The extra length along with the wings and placing the X-15 close to the top of the rocket did the trick. I used a Titan III SRB decoupler to attach the X-15. I had to fly the X-15 without the lower ventral fin, but in actuality the X-15 flew many missions without it.

The launch site was a 2.5x KSRSS Cape Canaveral LC-20 with the destination being the runway at the Wallops Flight Facility on Virginia's eastern shore. Mechjeb did an adequate job of controlling the flight, with the roll program at launch being a bit jerky, but controllable. The stack flew well up to staging, which was very smooth. This was a steep 50 degree climb out, but that was necessary to avoid overshooting Wallops.

The XLR-99 pushed the vehicle to 150 km without a problem, and the pilot, Colonel Steve Austin, gathered some science from the science bay and the wingtip pods before buttoning up for reentry.

Reentry occurred with a 40 degree pitch up, and Col. Austin was able to hold that for a bit, before running into some instability in the transonic regime. He pulled it out and found himself pretty close to target, although a XLR-99 relight was needed to get himself lined up properly.

A sudden wind gust (yep, that's what we will call it :wink:), pushed the aircraft right of centerline, but Austin recovered nicely and afterwards posed proudly with his aircraft.

The booster offers a lot of flight possibilities, as it has plenty of margin for performance. High speed flights or even cross country flights seem entirely possible. Cool stuff @CobaltWolf!

Nice! 

I would recommend using more of a shuttle entry profile though. No more than 25 degrees nose up and lower the nose to about 10 degrees once most of reentry is done. 40 is a little extreme, not to mention the lift you'll get off it!

1 minute ago, GoldForest said:

Nice! 

I would recommend using more of a shuttle entry profile though. No more than 25 degrees nose up and lower the nose to about 10 degrees once most of reentry is done. 40 is a little extreme, not to mention the lift you'll get off it!

Funny thing is though, I didn't need the extra lift! Darn near overshot  the runway as it was! :lol:

4 hours ago, GoldForest said:

main-qimg-fb0e5aeeee53ea1cb9f63ad60deb7e

Quadrant 1 is to the right of the ladder if you're facing the front side of the LM, where the rover goes. It then goes counterclockwise around the corners.  The Descent stage has a B9 switch to open up Q1 to insert the rover. Q1 is the only quadrant that opens up, so it's not that hard to find.

ANd what do you mean the parts don't line up? Do you have pictures of this?

This is exactly what I needed. And what I meant was by parts clipping through things on it, which what clued me in "this doesnt go there" 

Now if only I can figure out how to build the LRV once I deploy it on the Mun...

22 hours ago, zakkpaz said:

Can someone link something about the RS-X engine?

All I’m getting from google is dead links, car reviews and a single paragraph from astronautix.

So the PDF seems to be a joke :D

By RS-X I assume you mean the LR89 Derived engine with a new combustion chamber?    I have literally zero info on it beyond what Mark Wade has on the less-than-accurate
http://www.astronautix.com/r/rs-x.html

15 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

So the PDF seems to be a joke :D

By RS-X I assume you mean the LR89 Derived engine with a new combustion chamber?    I have literally zero info on it beyond what Mark Wade has on the less-than-accurate
http://www.astronautix.com/r/rs-x.html

Not a joke, just linked the wrong thing. Working link is on this page.

F-1C is now up on GitHub. This is a new variant of the F-1 engine, based on @Katniss218's speculative 90s modernization of the F-1A. As such, I had a bit of freedom with how to translate it to BDB. I hope you all enjoy - it's a slight upgrade over the F-1A in almost every way, as a little late game/timeline treat.

5nYwHKp.png

I suppose the plume needs to have the black soot removed in this variant.

VoWboLg.png
Xgx4E5b.png

As an aside, this also let me integrate the F-1A turbopump exhaust, so we finally have a small visual difference between them. There's a couple other changes Katniss alerted me to that I'm looking at adding.

rkXlFhJ.png

It even includes the F-1/F-1A Vac variants, for my kerolox krew out there.

iKHHLn5.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

On 6/19/2024 at 1:09 PM, L27 said:

I saw already thought it was odd that it was static, but I just kinda assumed it was meant to be. It made a bigger launch vehicle necessary. I saw in another mod (FASA, probably) it retracting, and it suddenly clicked that that was probably intended. This article certainly makes it sound like it should be, as if it goes on the bottom a more compact design is obvious, and since it was meant to be a rear docking port and not a storage area it's reasonable that it would be compacted on launch.

I skimmed it but didn't see anything about the docking port retracting?

In any case, I remember the FASA part you're talking about. It was actually a docking port that included the whole snoot as an animation. I wouldn't be able to make it animate with a docking port attached to it, and I don't think I can make it with switchable built in docking ports. Sadly we're going to have to live with tall rockets for our Big Gs.

1 hour ago, L27 said:

Another nitpick- the hatch on the bottom of the MORL doesn't count as a hatch. This is particularly annoying because it's the only hatch

Zorrrrrrrg

13 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Zorrrrrrrg

11 minutes ago, guest10985 said:

Zorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg

Zorg.

14 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I skimmed it but didn't see anything about the docking port retracting?

In any case, I remember the FASA part you're talking about. It was actually a docking port that included the whole snoot as an animation. I wouldn't be able to make it animate with a docking port attached to it, and I don't think I can make it with switchable built in docking ports. Sadly we're going to have to live with tall rockets for our Big Gs.

One final suggestion and I'll leave you alone-- Could it not be possible to add a version with no airlock, then make an extendable part separately? Slightly higher part count. Still in love with this Big G though. Best version in any ksp mod no doubt :D

16 hours ago, Rodger said:

There does seem to be some slight instability with drag, and if you stage while lower in the atmosphere the stage will want to wander off prograde... Not quite full tumbling though, and the engine gimbal should be plenty to control it. And shouldn't be an issue high in the atmosphere. PVG will possibly exacerbate the issue with how it tends to fly at higher AOAs after a while, but if you've also just tried holding prograde with SAS, it really should be fine. And your pic is while in vacuum too, so it seems like perhaps some other mod/patch has broken the engine's gimbal? Would need your KSP.log to see more.

You could try activating the RCS (via right-click menu) on the nose of Gemini, on the 'Reentry Reaction Thrusters', and see if that is enough to regain control.

Is only the Vernier supposed to move around? The main engine bell doesn't seem to be moving , also the reaction control thrusters don't stop the tumble, I completely loose control of the 2nd stage.

Edited by Birdman31
provide more context

Just now, Birdman31 said:

Is only the Vernier supposed to move around? The main engine bell doesn't seem to be moving 

The main bell should move yes. If you can upload zipped copies of your KSP.log file (from KSP's main folder), and maybe modulemanager.configcache (from GameData), I can check what might be doing it.

16 minutes ago, Rodger said:

The main bell should move yes. If you can upload zipped copies of your KSP.log file (from KSP's main folder), and maybe modulemanager.configcache (from GameData), I can check what might be doing it.

the Ksp.log file is pretty large when the game is fully loaded. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JYYUyrZI3KMkv8_nAmVbPnI_0fCcLM_K/view?usp=sharing

1 hour ago, Birdman31 said:

the Ksp.log file is pretty large when the game is fully loaded. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JYYUyrZI3KMkv8_nAmVbPnI_0fCcLM_K/view?usp=sharing

204 MB?! And like 90% of it is a two error repeated to infinity. 

Bones do not match bindpose.

VesselView.VesselViewPlugin.OnGUI, settings is null

Idk what mod is complaining about the bones problem. Should probably update whatever adds that. 

Also might want to reinstall or even update VesselVeiwer. 

Edited by GoldForest

33 minutes ago, Birdman31 said:

Yeah, that's why zipping them is a good idea haha

The main reason for the log size is you're missing this

which provides shaders for some parts, and the missing shader causes error spam. You'll also get nice translucent parachutes and blanket solar panels!

Might need to update RealChute too

Then there's a couple of installation mistakes, BD_Extras (No Warranty) should have a Bluedog_DB_Extras folder within it which is the one that goes in GameData, with the individual patch folders inside that folder. But that should only really matter for the Methalox patches which use file paths. And the version of Tweakscale/KSP Recall isn't supported and has been known to cause various random issues. I recommend replacing it (and Companion/Recall) with Tweakscale Rescaled.

If you can add Shaddy, and update RC and VesselVeiwer, and restart the game and reupload the log, it will be easier to search through. modulemanager.configcache from GameData and maybe MMLog (from main dir/Logs/ModuleManager) would also be handy.

57 minutes ago, Rodger said:

Yeah, that's why zipping them is a good idea haha

The main reason for the log size is you're missing this

which provides shaders for some parts, and the missing shader causes error spam. You'll also get nice translucent parachutes and blanket solar panels!

Might need to update RealChute too

Then there's a couple of installation mistakes, BD_Extras (No Warranty) should have a Bluedog_DB_Extras folder within it which is the one that goes in GameData, with the individual patch folders inside that folder. But that should only really matter for the Methalox patches which use file paths. And the version of Tweakscale/KSP Recall isn't supported and has been known to cause various random issues. I recommend replacing it (and Companion/Recall) with Tweakscale Rescaled.

If you can add Shaddy, and update RC and VesselVeiwer, and restart the game and reupload the log, it will be easier to search through. modulemanager.configcache from GameData and maybe MMLog (from main dir/Logs/ModuleManager) would also be handy.

alright I have the log files here: MM.log https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AqvIhV7vkN85OklC8lCIKLSikx9RbMFK/view?usp=sharing KSP.log https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JYYUyrZI3KMkv8_nAmVbPnI_0fCcLM_K/view?usp=sharing. I reinstalled what you suggested you it should be cleaned up