[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

6 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

You want a honest advice about playing with BDB 1.14 Dev? I mean actually playing, like starting a new save and such, and not just fooling around in sandbox?

DON'T.

1.14 is going to be a literal Apocalypse to pretty much all your crafts that include BDB parts. You see, merging parts requires making a new part - a literal new part, with a new ID, cfg and such - which means that you'll have to rebuild all your crafts that use this part. Old parts may be just deprecated and not deleted, but that doesn't free you from the Big Rebuild.

Personally, I'm just fooling around and dabbling with rebuilding. Actual rebuilding will come no sooner than BDB team declares that it's safe to do so. Or 1.14 release.

Me using the BDB dev build on the same career mode save I've played since 1.10 and watching 90% of my crafts disappear with every update (the new parts are just too good):

c4jt321.png

18 minutes ago, LoadingTimeExpert said:

I don't know how to post images, but I will say the Agena docking port is one of the most well-detailed parts I've seen, considering I've spent about 10 minutes staring at it from the cockpit window of a Gemini

F1 to take a screenshot in KSP.

Go to the Screenshot folder in your KPS directory. 

Upload to Imgur. 

Right click the image once it's done uploading.

Open in new tab.

Copy link.

Paste here.

Wait for image to change from Link to Image.

Post your reply. 

6 minutes ago, LoadingTimeExpert said:

ye

Switch Mechjeb to PVG mode.

Set altitude to 100KM

Set your inclination. 

Set Pitch speed turn to 100 m/s

Set your pitch degrees per second to 0.3.

Launch. 

Profit. 

If you need a higher orbit than 100 KM, raise it in orbit using the S-IVB and/or the Apollo SM.

Edited by GoldForest

3 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Set altitude to 100KM

Set your inclination. 

Launch. 

Profit. 

If you need a higher orbit than 100 KM, raise it in orbit using the S-IVB and/or the Apollo SM.

4 minutes ago, LoadingTimeExpert said:

You're welcome. Yeah, once you know the quirks of the Saturn I, it's actually easy to fly. After successfully flying it with Mechjeb and studying how it behaves, I've been able to manually fly it using MechJeb's SMART A.S.S.

It just takes time, patience and a learning curve. 

23 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Set altitude to 100KM

Set your inclination. 

Launch. 

Profit. 

Also make certain you change the "auto-pilot" mode (sorry I am not in game at the moment to look it up but it is under Utilities IIRc)   The default mode operates the Rocket motors in a "Bang Bang" operation   100%Right 100% left    Never a partial percentage which leads to wobble and loss of control.

Found the post where I learned about it...

you need to switch the PID loop  in the Attitude Adjustment Menu   hybridController is I Think the one that works better

At least my Saturns launches stopped trying to Sabre dance with hyubridController

Edited by Pappystein

7 hours ago, Legolas5533 said:

Ahem...

On a lonely planet, slowly spinning its way to damnation

Amidst the incompetence and unpreparedness of lesser space programs

One team stands resilient against the herds!

Putting their lives on the line to aid players

Who were previously unaware of the Quicksave option!

Yes it's the incredible adventures of Jebediah

And his crack team of Kerbonauts!

They are... THE BLUNDERBIRDS!

Saving the Kerbin race one stranded explorer at a time!

(Sorry, I had to)

That's actually how I found out about Matt :D

Well, slight change of plans. I forgot I attached the gemini lunar nose camera instead of the docking port, so I can't dock the centaur TLI stage. But, my augmented Titan launch vehicle was powerful enough that I still have 2000 m/s ΔV in the second stage, so I'll just use that.

4BXTaBJ.jpeg

I think the Advanced Gemini solar panels are on backwards

edit: Wait now its fixed? 

Edited by LoadingTimeExpert

z1SpYaQ.jpeg

Py6UcYE.jpeg

From an orbital test of the full Apollo CSM I recently performed

sAYM4a9.jpeg

Hmm I wonder what's down here

6U01SSg.jpeg

Try the free-IVA mod if you can, I highly recommend it. There are some mods that it plays wonderfully with. You can travel freely between the CM and the LM in first person view!

RGl8chG.jpeg

Saturnposting again, this time SA-5

screenshot804.png

>walk into douglas
>ask the engineers what form of ullage the s-iv uses
>they don't understand
>explain the differences between using hotstaging and ullage motors
>they still don't get it
>pull out a diagram showing the differences between the two
>they laugh and say "it's a good system sir"
>finally see the flight vehicle
>it's both

screenshot805.png

Some more PBR in game tests

Another M1 pic because I love how this picture in particular turned out. Especially the variation in surface smoothness on the nozzle. Control over the surface like this is just as important as distinguishing between metal and non metal in PBR workflows and is a huge venue for more creativity. We're using the alpha channel of the main texture for smoothness which is also used for specular in the legacy shader but the effect is more subtle on the legacy shaders. Point being we're able to rework the content of the alpha channel, optimising for PBR, without ruining the look for people still using the legacy shaders (you might even see small improvements)

x1VaR9P.png

Anyways I've also been working on the nukes

bpJSQSk.png

b580Zgz.png

Emissive to heat discolouration transition

fukbaCv.png

8YO22hv.png

SUf3vsS.png

yC3vXiK.png

7oV3J2E.png

aBfypvV.png

Edited by Zorg

14 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Some more PBR in game tests

Another M1 pic because I love how this picture in particular turned out. Especially the variation in surface smoothness on the nozzle. Control over the surface like this is just as important as distinguishing between metal and non metal in PBR workflows and is a huge venue for more creativity. We're using the alpha channel of the main texture for smoothness which is also used for specular in the legacy shader but the effect is more subtle on the legacy shaders. Point being we're able to do this without ruining the look for people still using the legacy shaders (you might even see small improvements)

x1VaR9P.png

Anyways I've also been working on the nukes

bpJSQSk.png

b580Zgz.png

Emissive to heat discolouration transition

fukbaCv.png

8YO22hv.png

SUf3vsS.png

yC3vXiK.png

7oV3J2E.png

aBfypvV.png

Dear Kraken. That slightly anodized iridescent effect on the aerospike is just top notch

13 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

@Zorg Do you know if this new mod also provides reflection support like KS3P?

This mod just provides replacement shaders for models. KSP3Ps screenspace reflections are a post processing effect and outside the purview of what this mod is doing. I imagine the shaders will show such reflections with KS3P. I dunno because I use TUFX.

2 minutes ago, Zorg said:

This mod just provides replacement shaders for models. KSP3Ps screenspace reflections are a post processing effect and outside the purview of what this mod is doing. I imagine the shaders will show such reflections with KS3P. I dunno because I use TUFX.

Okay. Thanks for the reply.

On 8/23/2024 at 1:49 AM, Rodger said:

haha, honest advice for wanting to play with dev branch is use GitHub Desktop (or similar git client) and clone the repo on your PC, so you can update your copy easily anytime there's small updates, without having to redownload the whole thing. You can even symlink the Bluedog_DB folder from the Github location to GameData and not even have to copy it over manually when it updates. (I recommend using Link Shell Extension for easy symlinks on windows)

***BEWARE*** doing as Rodger suggests is perfectly valid.... But it is a gateway.   A Gateway to 'Volunteering' to do work you would have never thought about...   *JOKING*... well sorta joking?  Maybe I am joking?

:P

18 hours ago, KeaKaka said:

Saturnposting again, this time SA-5

>walk into douglas
>ask the engineers what form of ullage the s-iv uses
>they don't understand
>explain the differences between using hotstaging and ullage motors
>they still don't get it
>pull out a diagram showing the differences between the two
>they laugh and say "it's a good system sir"
>finally see the flight vehicle
>it's both

Kinda more common back then that we like to admit today.

Example.   The Titan II.  It is not a pure hot stage; Martin learned their lesson with Titan I :D   The second stage main engine *IS* hot staged but it isn't the only engine firing at the time of separation... just like S-IV.

**EDITED** sorry re-read what I wrote and realized it was less than perfect.   Neither Titan I nor Titan II were true hot-stage staging; they were the same hybrid as Saturn S-IV.     When I said Martin learned their lesson with Titan I, it was that Hotstaging into a solid structure was NOT  a good idea (fully half the test failures at stage separation on the Titan I was traced back to the interstage collapsing around the LR91's main engine bell before the stages were far enough apart.  Basically, the interstage turned into a giant bear trap for the 2nd stage main engine.

Edited by Pappystein

Guys I might have a problem, while coming back from the Mun (JNSQ) with an Apollo I used the offset COM but with the sligthest change in the angle of attack my Command Module overheated very quickly and exploded. With normal COM the reentry worked as expected. Any solutions for that? or could it be a bug with the Apollo heatshield not "protecting" enough of the capsule for some reason?

Tried first with a 40 Km Pe target then worked my way up until 60 even skipping the atmosphere with normal COM while with the offset one the CM exploded.