[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Deep Space Exploration Vessels - Build NASA Inspired Ships In KSP

Angelo Kerman

On 9/10/2017 at 11:30 PM, Angel-125 said:

Most likely it would dock at the top where the 5 ports are, and avoid knocking into the solar arrays, but yeah, Buffalo was designed for space and ground. :)

Yup! They're a spiritual successor to Multipurpose Colony Modules. Things are moving along quickly, so I'm dusting off another design that I haven't forgotten about:

2F1uw5B.png

hwiDVIu.png

I already have the prototype parts working in game. The basic configuration is a nice SSTO craft that can get to and from Duna orbit. You can slip a 3.75m tank or two between the command pod and the EDL Tank for extra capacity. I'm also planning a storage tank that can go in place of the command pod for cargo transport. And with Pathfinder installed, the EDL Tank and EDL Frame (and Duna-18) have configuration options to help create a starter base.

i think i need this for what im doing :P things keep exploding on me! 

@Angel-125 i think you'll like the the new 'big ship'

Love the new ships! Really fun to see what you come up with. :) Unfortunately, I could not get the Estonian done in time for KSP 1.3.1, but it's next on my list after I push out my 1.3.1 updates and finish the post 1.3.1 Pathfinder update (the one with the mass driver). My solution for Eve is a nuclear salt water rocket... You might also be interested that the last major update to DSEV will have some parts inspired by this:

isvdiagram18.jpg

Edited by Angel-125

3 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Love the new ships! Really fun to see what you come up with. :) Unfortunately, I could not get the Estonian done in time for KSP 1.3.1, but it's next on my list after I push out my 1.3.1 updates and finish the post 1.3.1 Pathfinder update (the one with the mass driver). My solution for Eve is a nuclear salt water rocket... You might also be interested that the last major update to DSEV will have some parts inspired by this:

isvdiagram18.jpg

how did you know :P

3 hours ago, Space Kadet said:

how did you know :P

Some time ago you mentioned a need for larger engines, and @adsii1970 spoke about the challenges of making a new star system. The Orion nuclear pulse rocket  has been done, so I wanted something different. I’m thinking Epstein Kerman had a breakthrough and improved the Supernova design...

15 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Some time ago you mentioned a need for larger engines, and @adsii1970 spoke about the challenges of making a new star system. The Orion nuclear pulse rocket  has been done, so I wanted something different. I’m thinking Epstein Kerman had a breakthrough and improved the Supernova design...

I Just watched this Episode. Remember, the emergency drive cutoff goes on the command chair arm.

3 hours ago, Sudragon said:

I Just watched this Episode. Remember, the emergency drive cutoff goes on the command chair arm.

On centrifuges they often put it in the trainees hand so that if they go unconscious the thumb presses down and it stops the machine

10 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

You might also be interested that the last major update to DSEV will have some parts inspired by this:

isvdiagram18.jpg

YES!!!

DSEV 2.4.0: Odyssey Two, is now available:

This release introduces the spirtual successor to Multipurpose Colony Modules in the form of new station parts. It also completes the kerbalized Copernicus spacecraft from NASA's Mars Design Reference Mission. Happy 2nd anniversary, DSEV!

- Station Modules: This new Tier 6 node gives you new space station parts to play with.
NOTE: With Community Tech Tree installed, parts found in the Station Modules node are moved to Short Term Habitation.
- Tranquility Mk2 Habitat (Station Modules): Successor to the Pioneer module, this part is a 2.5m space station module that has capabilities similar to the D2 Habitat Module, and can conduct experiment research when configured as a lab. It also ties into Pathfinder's Habitation/Science templates.
- Mk2 Ground Hub(Station Modules): A modified version of the Settler, the Ground Hub provides a set of landing legs for planetary operations of the station modules. It seats one kerbal and can be used as an airlock. Its four hatches can be used to attach Pathfinder inflatable modules or Buffalo Mineshaft docking/crew tubes.
- Junction Logistics Node (Station Modules): Successor to the Stagecoach, this part offers 6 attachment points for things like docking ports and has storage space.
- Short Logistics Module (Station Modules): Think of the Delta-8 tank, but styled like a station part.
- Quantum Leap Airlock (Station Modules): This module holds a crew of 2 that are ready to step outside. With EL installed, it can be a survey station.
- S2-1 Adapter (Station Modules): This adapter sits between Size 2 and Size 1 parts and has built-in RCS thrusters.
- Solar Truss (Specialized Electrics): This dual-axis solar array generates large amounts of power for your spacecraft needs.
- Homestead Mk3 (Composites): Successor to the mk2, this inflatable part can be configured for a variety of different functions similar to a D2 Hab and D2 Lab, and ties into Pathfinder's Habitation, Science, and Industry templates. It can also store resources.
- Duna Decoupler (Large Volume Containment): This slim Size 3 decoupler is great for getting rid of unwanted parts.
- Size 2 Service Compartment (Command Pods): This is a resized version of the 3.75m Service Compartment.

New Referenece Designs
- Added the Kopernicus, based upon the Copernicus from NASA's Mars Design Reference Mission (https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2012/08/nasa-proposal-to-revive-nuclear-thermal.html).
- Added the Deep Space Habitat, based upon NASA's Deep Space Habitat proposal (https://www.nasa.gov/exploration/technology/deep_space_habitat/constructing-demonstrators.html).

Bug Fixes & Enhancements
- All configurable parts now require an Engineer to reconfigure instead of a mix of Engineer and Scientist.
- When Pathfinder is installed, the old Mule 3D model will be replaced with a newer one that matches the new station parts.
- Play mode support added.
- Added support for Classic Stock play mode and Pristine mode.
- CRP is now a separate download.
- D2 crewed modules moved to Long Term Habitation when Community Tech Tree is installed.
- Clydesdale and Danube Delta moved to Heavy Command Modules when Community Tech Tree is installed.
- Updated to KSP 1.3.1.

lHgxmSy.png

Edited by Angel-125

Yikes, I don't know if I'm ready to jump to 1.3.1 just yet (still waiting on other mods...). Tempting, wonderful parts... if I may ask (or probably I'll have to test separately), would the 1.3.1 update be backwards compatible? 

5 minutes ago, B-STRK said:

Yikes, I don't know if I'm ready to jump to 1.3.1 just yet (still waiting on other mods...). Tempting, wonderful parts... if I may ask (or probably I'll have to test separately), would the 1.3.1 update be backwards compatible? 

Not backwards compatible. KSP 1.3.1 requires plugin recompiling.

14 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Not backwards compatible. KSP 1.3.1 requires plugin recompiling.

Thanks, and understood. Making the download to await install... or time to start that 1.3.1 separate career then. :) 

5 hours ago, Space Kadet said:

ok so how daft am i, i didnt realise there was an upgrade to 1.3.1(or that i didnt already have it) so now my day is updating all this loveliness and not killing my save, fun times! 

There was a minor but significant base code shift, so a bunch of mods aren't working just yet. Basic recompile needed on them, but a number haven't had a chance to get around to it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.