Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 18--He's a docking wizard! (there had to be a twist?)

Mister Dilsby

Looks like studded tires for driving in snowy conditions to me... not some glitch. Gene is using a purpose built machine to achieve his goal, like one would expect of a Kerb of his caliber. 

14 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

So I started a new "stunt" savegame, reloaded the ships, and...

FIRSTEST WITH THE MOSTEST :)

NIce stunt doubles :)

EDIT:  OK, now that''s over with, I like the Korean War cursive pilot name on the canopy frame, and the whole "FatKerb" thing.  But surely Wehrner Kerbulian wasn't a 1-kerb Manhattan Project?  How can he have run off with the secrets of the Bomb without leaving scores of interns and enough collective knowledge to go on without him?

Edited by Geschosskopf

21 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

EDIT:  OK, now that''s over with, I like the Korean War cursive pilot name on the canopy frame, and the whole "FatKerb" thing.  But surely Wehrner Kerbulian wasn't a 1-kerb Manhattan Project?  How can he have run off with the secrets of the Bomb without leaving scores of interns and enough collective knowledge to go on without him?

Thanks! And that's not a decal, i have to stretch, rotate and paste "Majer Gene Kerman" every. darn. time. 

So yeah, I guess i need some handwaving for the one-kerb-kerbhattan thing... or maybe a purge? Yeah! A purge! That's it! Ahhh, I'll think of something. 

Just now, Kuzzter said:

Thanks! And that's not a decal, i have to stretch, rotate and paste "Majer Gene Kerman" every. darn. time. 

I noticed.  That's why I liked it so much.  It's an artistic thing.  Sure, you can make it look painted on with some fancy graphics editor but I carry my dedication to primitive technology (flintknapping, friction fire, basketry, etc.) into such things as this.  It gives the picture a certain je ne sais quoi entirely in keeping with its B&W coloration :)

Just now, Kuzzter said:

So yeah, I guess i need some handwaving for the one-kerb-kerbhattan thing... or maybe a purge? Yeah! A purge! That's it! Ahhh, I'll think of something. 

Yeah, once Wehrner turned up missing, the 1st reaction of the leadership would definitely be to purge and torture-to-death all his associates on suspicion of abetting a defector.

8 minutes ago, Willbl3pic said:

Yeah, I was thinking of this. Kerbals have no concept of violence, So they probably didn't think it's Kerballed...

Surely, they have concept of malfunctioning hardware. Especially if it's a prototype. Especially after some stress testing. Be careful, it might blow up in your face.

1 hour ago, Deddly said:

I forgot to mention that one of the things I love about these comics is the sound effects. So well done.

Yes they are.  But this raises a quibble.  I don't believe that landing gear wheels go 'squeek' when they hit ice.  Sorry, Kuzzter. (I love 'floomp', though.  :) )

Now, as far as the one-kerb-kerbhattan thing goes, I think it's entirely plausible that Gene is so controlling that he set up tight security and made Wernher toil on it all alone.  And Wernher was really productive.  That's my handwaving around the matter.

Thanks Kuzzter.  That segment contained two...

Happy landings!

Edited by Starhawk

4 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

But this raises a quibble.  I don't believe that landing gear wheels go 'squeek' when they hit ice.  Sorry, Kuzzter. 

You're right! And I thought of the same thing when I did the effect, but I really wanted 'squeek'. I talked myself into it by arguing that the sound was of the brakes on the wheel, not the tire (tyre) on the ice. Of course that's wrong, but I still like 'squeek'. If i'd used an ice-like sound effect it might not have conveyed the 'neat stop' image I was going for. 

Maybe it's an in-helmet sound projector effect, like the one that makes explosions audible in vacuum :) 

8 hours ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

I tell you, it's all propoganda! The Kerbulans just want us to think this happened so we feel depressed when the Jool crew dies!

PROPOGANDA I TELL YOU

Propoga-

mmpph!

Oh no... someone cut off @SpaceplaneAddict before he got in a catchphrase???

It MUST be true!!!  :sticktongue:

Hmm why did Wernher reenter on a polar trajectory? If he came from Kerbulus there was no need for a change in inclination. So does he come from elsewhere but just pretends to be from Kerbulus? Also this  single person bomb and rocket business doesn't seem to be very likely... I tell you Wernher is Kuzzter's version of Q and just spreads rumors for the sake of his own amusement

2 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

You're right! And I thought of the same thing when I did the effect, but I really wanted 'squeek'. I talked myself into it by arguing that the sound was of the brakes on the wheel, not the tire (tyre) on the ice. Of course that's wrong, but I still like 'squeek'. If i'd used an ice-like sound effect it might not have conveyed the 'neat stop' image I was going for. 

Maybe it's an in-helmet sound projector effect, like the one that makes explosions audible in vacuum :) 

Huh... I thought it was the sound of the landing gear extending.

3 hours ago, something said:

Hmm why did Wernher reenter on a polar trajectory?

If you take a look back at Kuzzter's post at the top of page 121 you should see Wernher say he didn't know if Kerbal would be better or worse than Kerbulus so he decided to land in a remote uninhabited area first

7 hours ago, Willbl3pic said:

Yeah, I was thinking of this. Kerbals have no concept of violence, So they probably didn't think it's Kerballed...

Either they're worried that it might explode in his face, or that he might crash because he was paying attention the the Fliegenstreudel instead of the altimeter.

7 hours ago, Starhawk said:

Now, as far as the one-kerb-kerbhattan thing goes, I think it's entirely plausible that Gene is so controlling that he set up tight security and made Wernher toil on it all alone.  And Wernher was really productive.  That's my handwaving around the matter.

I hate to contradict the great Starhawk, but I think that your headcanon/cannon has some flaws.

Case in point, "Made Wernher toil on it all alone." If we go back a few pages, we can clearly see not one, but two kerbulans working on the project. So I think that you're wrong there.

3 hours ago, Dman979 said:

If we go back a few pages, we can clearly see not one, but two kerbulans working on the project. 

Yep, and the Kerbulans do have the LV-N engine in Year 7, so some of the secrets must have survived. Maybe Linus Kermulan did as well. :) 

Uah9988.png

Cc9shaI.png

Heh. So yeah, when i had the idea to bring Wernher to Kerbin in a saucer-like ship I hadn't actually ever visited the in-game one. Then I dropped a kerbal on the location to plant a marker flag and saw for the first time how HUGE it was--way bigger than the Fliegenstrudel! So big that no amount of hand-waving could cover it! But lampshades come in all sizes. :) 

Next update should conclude the Zwischenspiel, and after a short break for the author we'll get back to regular programming--in color--with Chapter 10!

43 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Next update should conclude the Zwischenspiel, and after a short break for the author we'll get back to regular programming--in color--with Chapter 10!

Just as long as Kerbfleet managed to stay out of Chapter 11 :)  Haven't heard from Mort lately.......

So why didn't Wehrner mention any of this back in the day?  You know, so his new home on Kerbin wouldn't get blindsided by an invasion?

Edited by Geschosskopf

Giving Kerbals rocket technologies and assisting in development of semi-militaristic organization that works with such technologies... I'd say that counts as covert preparations for possible interplanetary conflict.