Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 18--He's a docking wizard! (there had to be a twist?)

Mister Dilsby

On 10/9/2017 at 11:48 PM, Geschosskopf said:

Wow, I just caught up with this (from Dec 16 to now).  Ripping yarn as always.  I still think it'll come down to a game of checks, though :wink: 

Well now that Geschosskopf is back and caught up, I guess I'd better get to work again... and isn't everything a game of cheks? Unless it's go. Or Mohoball.

40 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Well now that Geschosskopf is back and caught up, I guess I'd better get to work again... and isn't everything a game of cheks? Unless it's go. Or Mohoball.

Long time no see!  Glad to hear you'll be getting on with this.  This thread has been stuck playing "dun dun dun" chords too long :) 

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/07/2017 at 8:26 PM, Kuzzter said:

I would like interested parties to participate by ranking the crew of the Intrepid according to two measures: (1) ability and (2) cuteness.

Interested party incoming!

My apologies for not getting around to this a long time ago. I think the reason why so few have offered lists is because you have presented each character in such a good way that they are all cute and have great skill in their respective areas of expertise. See my list as "they're all great, but if I have to order them, this is how I'd do it." Here goes:

Ability and cuteness chart (top is highest)
ABILITY CUTENESS
Valentina Lisa
Jeb Clauselle
Bob Kenlie
Bill Melbe
Dilsby Bill
Kenlie Bob
Tedus Jebediah
Sarge Tedus
Lisa Dilsby
Melbe Valentina
Clauselle Nimzo
Nimzo Sarge

• 3 weeks later...

MJJoMNR.jpg

Thanks to everyone who gave ordered lists. I didn't really do any math on them, but I did get enough of a general sense to lay out Evil Bob's chart. 

It's been a while...if this comic is new to you and/or you just don't know what the heck is going on, you can review previous pages and chapters via the links in the OP :) 

Edited by Kuzzter
color error in Evil Bob's chart

This is in fact a serious relief. The poll results are now an in-universe item and thus need not be followed. If they remained at 4th wall - level there is a seriously higher threat that someone dies.

Now, though... it's just a decision by the Kerbulans on who to kill first. As they likely won't win, it likely will never get used. PHEW! Thought there was some actual dangerous foreshadowing there!

Actually there is almost zilch chance that @Kuzzter will carry out the list as it would be too anticlimactic that the Kerbulans get exactly what they want...

Also, I love "It's only treason if you lose"

2 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

It's been a while....

Damn straight  it has!  But hey, that gave me a chance to get caught up from my own "lost year", so Even Steven I say :) 

Anyway, VERY glad to see you're back in business.  At least, I hope that's the case :)

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

Oh man, it's good to see you back!  :D

1 minute ago, Geschosskopf said:

Anyway, VERY glad to see you're back in business.  At least, I hope that's the case :)

Glad to be here! But am I really "back"? I can't promise...certainly pages won't appear with the frequency they once did...but I know how the story ends (as I have for probably a couple of years, by now) and I do want to finish it :) 

5 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Glad to be here! But am I really "back"? I can't promise...

Well, be here when you can.  Life happens to us all, as much as we try to escape it.  And the older we get, the less escape is possible because additional responsibilities keep piling on until we prove we can't handle any more or Alzheimer's sets in.  Never grow up.  It's a trap!

36 minutes ago, obney kerman said:

Ah! So it will be Clauselle and Lisa! I don't mind...   maybe a little...;.;

We'll see, we'll see... and the sharp-eyed among you will have noticed I made a small error in the chart, which I am fixing now :)

^right, so the thing to remember (wait, have we talked about this before? Seems strangely familiar...) is that momentum is conserved. Mass times velocity of the bullet equals mass times velocity of the recoiling shooter. Bullets don't mass much and are moving fast. Kerbals and Kerbulans weigh a lot, for their size. But Kurt and Melgee Kermulan aren't braced on anything, and they're firing on full auto. Thus, hilarity ensues.

Last part of the video is of course laughable to any KSP player--they seem to imply that an orbiting shooter, firing retrograde, could hit himself in the back. Ummm... no. A normal bullet fired from a normal gun would just end up in an orbit with a lower periapsis. But even if you could imagine a gun that threw a bullet fast enough that it would end up in an orbit at exactly at the altitude of the shooter and in the opposite direction, Newton's third law would necessarily kick the shooter out of that orbit, and possibly out of that planet's SOI altogether.

2 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Last part of the video is of course laughable to any KSP player--they seem to imply that an orbiting shooter, firing retrograde, could hit himself in the back. Ummm... no. A normal bullet fired from a normal gun would just end up in an orbit with a lower periapsis. But even if you could imagine a gun that threw a bullet fast enough that it would end up in an orbit at exactly at the altitude of the shooter and in the opposite direction, Newton's third law would necessarily kick the shooter out of that orbit, and possibly out of that planet's SOI altogether.

And that's why I use Gyrojets for all of my space-borne boarding actions, even though it's cheating.

In other news, welcome back, Kuzzter--now there's something else to be thankful for.