Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 18--He's a docking wizard! (there had to be a twist?)

Mister Dilsby

5 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

So, is Kenlie Kerman the only one with a psychic connection to his evil twin?  I wonder if, say, Bill has a subconscious link to Evil Bill. And for that matter, if there is a Ted and Evil Ted... ;)

Aim for the kat, Evil Bill!

10 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

I wonder if, say, Bill has a subconscious link to Evil Bill. And for that matter, if there is a Ted and Evil Ted... ;)

Then I would have had to make Order Zero "be excellent to each other" :)

9 hours ago, sdj64 said:

I'll keep an eye on it.  You're probably all set for most of the rules, the big one to watch out for is interacting with other stuff that didn't come with you on your ship (besides the one allowed refueling mission).  

Thanks! Since Kerbfleet has never sent anything to Jool before, if they do end up "interacting" with something that did not come with them on the [REDACTED], I guarantee you it will not help them. (Dun dun DUUUUN!) :)

10 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

So, is Kenlie Kerman the only one with a psychic connection to his evil twin?  

Oh, and I don't know that I'd characterize it as a psychic connection between the Kenlies. Each one is 'seeing' bits of the other world and is writing stories about it. In the few examples I've given so far of K. Kermulan's writing, the view is quite imperfect--being filtered through his own notions of what life and society are like. We've seen K. Kerman's 'visions' of the ugly SSTO but not what he's written about it. (don't worry, you will!) So, until something else happens, all that's going on as far as the Kenlies are concerned is visions of another, possibly parallel universe. Sort of like you guys were on the Eve thread before someone finally looked closely at Jeb's "20/5 vision" view out the cockpit window :)  

13 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

So, is Kenlie Kerman the only one with a psychic connection to his evil twin?  I wonder if, say, Bill has a subconscious link to Evil Bill. And for that matter, if there is a Ted and Evil Ted... ;)

Don't forget that Bill had an excellent adventure with Ted(us) on Eve!

3 hours ago, ExplorerKlatt said:

Well, it's posted as [REDACTED], which usually means the removal of classified or sensitive information. In this case, Kuzzter probably wants to surprise us with the name. 

I just meant that I am mistaKenlie reading it as "retracted". 

14 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

I know I haven't shown the date in a while, so for reference, Kenlie Kermulan left Kerbulus for 'the purple planet' 30-40 days ago.

So the Kerbulians are in the same solar system as the Kerbals, but like on the opposite side of the sun from Kerbin?  How did the previous Kerbal expeditions to Duna and Eve fail to see the Kerbulian planet?

14 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

But what about Mort?  Would Kerbulian Mort be a lovable, grandfatherly philkerbolist with a house full of rescued pets and always donating the Imperial Fleet's money to charities?  Or WAS he such and got executed for such behavior, replaced by somebody else more in keeping with Imperial ideology?  Or is the Mort we know actually a Kerbulian spy?

36 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

But what about Mort?  Would Kerbulian Mort be a lovable, grandfatherly philkerbolist with a house full of rescued pets and always donating the Imperial Fleet's money to charities?  Or WAS he such and got executed for such behavior, replaced by somebody else more in keeping with Imperial ideology?  Or is the Mort we know actually a Kerbulian spy?

Next you'll tell that Mort Kermulan is the chief of La Resistance ...Oh ,wait, that could actually work ;)

1 hour ago, Geschosskopf said:

So the Kerbulians are in the same solar system as the Kerbals, but like on the opposite side of the sun from Kerbin?  How did the previous Kerbal expeditions to Duna and Eve fail to see the Kerbulian planet?

Same way human astronomers didn't notice Uranus until 1781: it's really far away, they didn't have anything bigger than a hand-held telescope, and they weren't specifically looking for it! (and in this continuity i.e. my career save that started in v1.0.2 the Eve mission where Jeb noticed Kerbulus was in fact the first time any Kerbal or probe went to Eve, and only the second time anyone left Kerbin SOI.)

15 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

So when Beatrix Kiddo Evil Bill arrives at his destination, he's gonna kill Bill?

1 hour ago, Geschosskopf said:

Nobody has established that all characters and events must have an exact opposite of their Kerbal counterparts. The Kerbulans have never been to Eve, for example, though they are now on their way; the Kerbals have no device built into their suits that soothes their pain and makes them stop talking (as useful as such a device would be)... On top of that, the author has repeatedly stated that Mort is not evil, he's simply over-zealous at doing his job.

Edited by Deddly
And another thing...

27 minutes ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Wait, in Duna Ore Bust,  Jeb thought he saw Kerbin, and a certain Bill/ or was it Bob, corrected him saying it would be impossible to see Kerbin from that angle. Could that have been Kerbulus?

I think Kuzzter said above that it WAS Kerbulus.

59 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Same way human astronomers didn't notice Uranus until 1781: it's really far away, they didn't have anything bigger than a hand-held telescope, and they weren't specifically looking for it! (and in this continuity i.e. my career save that started in v1.0.2 the Eve mission where Jeb noticed Kerbulus was in fact the first time any Kerbal or probe went to Eve, and only the second time anyone left Kerbin SOI.)

Hum, Kuzzter ...

1) Uranus is a M6 body in terms of visibility from Earth, barely on the limit of visibilty by naked eye by a average human ( and people with good visual acuity can see it if you point where it is ( remember, barely visible :D ) and in fact there are pre-telescope records in both China and Europe of Uranus ( no one realized it was a planet though ... just a barely visible star ). Not the best example possible :D

2) The point Geschosskopf raises is a fair one. A alter-Kerbin opposite from the Sun from Kerbin would be pretty visible from Duna or ( especiallly ) Eve ( in Eve it would be rather visible, far more than Venus from Earth ) and I have to open my special reserve of suspension of disbelief to assume that a rather long scientific mission to Eve orbit would fail to notice that bright and moving spot that was not ( very .. see below ) visible from Kerbin. 

But I don't need that much to say that a alter-Kerbin would already be known if it existed, by the same reasons we know there is no alter-Earth IRL ( and yes, that was already suggested seriously more than once ):

a ) Alter-Kerbin would affect the orbits of Eve, Duna and even of the Mun and Minmus in a visible way. There is no way the KSC grunts would never notice those issues given the rather detailed knowledge they have of all the visible Sun system bodies.

b ) Alter-Kerbin would be visible from Kerbin ... due to gravitational lensing. Due to that, Alter-Kerbin would appear as a ring around the Sun that would be visible in Solar ecplises ( that ,as you know , are very common in Kerbin ). And we can assure that there is gravitational lensing in the KSP universe: we have both radioactive generators and nuclear engines, so we know for a fact that relativity applies ;)

( P.S. IRL there is a third reason: due to the Earth eliptical orbit, a alter-Earth would librate back and forth enough to be visible from Earth at times. Because Kerbin has a perfectly circular orbit, in theory a perfectly opposite to Kerbin alter-Kerbin would always be behind the Sun )

Well, it is your story , Kuzzter, but be aware there are some issues with the alter-Kerbin issue, if you choose to go that way :D

Edited by r_rolo1
Grammar, oh grammar ... many woes you give to me :/

55 minutes ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Wait, in Duna Ore Bust,  Jeb thought he saw Kerbin, and a certain Bill/ or was it Bob, corrected him saying it would be impossible to see Kerbin from that angle. Could that have been Kerbulus?

You've got to be kidding.

First of all, it was 'Eve: Order Zero'.

Secondly, when all the speculation about where and who the Kerbulans were was going on, I kept trying to point attention to this in my posts.  I didn't want to come right out and say it, but if you followed any of the clues I was laying down, they would have brought you to Kuzzter's clues and then to this conclusion.  Once it was publicly established that Kerbulus was opposite Kerbin but in the same orbit, I thought this should be very clear.

Yes, this is one of the clues that Kuzzter gave us which point to Kerubuls' location.

Kuzzter himself pointed out that he's not in the habit of wasting dialogue or panels.  In other words, if he takes the time to have the characters say something, he has a reason.  Sometimes it develops character, sometimes it's just a joke.  But if something doesn't seem to fit, then take a closer look.  Kuzzter is really working hard to make this a fun ride for all who venture on the journeys with our Kerbfleet heroes.

Sorry if my tone is a bit sharp there, but I did keep trying to point to all the various clues Kuzzter was laying down about Kerbulus.  And there were quite a few clues.

Happy Concerned landings!

(Anybody need any heavy-duty, industrial-grade, aluminum foil?)

21 minutes ago, r_rolo1 said:

a ) Alter-Kerbin would affect the orbits of Eve, Duna and even of the Mun and Minmus in a visible way. There is no way the KSC grunts would never notice those issues given the rather detailed knowledge they have of all the visible Sun system bodies.

But, as was discussed in the Eve: Order Zero thread, there are no n-body physics in the KSP universe.

Happy Concerned landings!

17 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

But, as was discussed in the Eve: Order Zero thread, there are no n-body physics in the KSP universe.

Well, I missed that part, but, if true in the Kerbfleet universe, it  brings a lot of Unfortunate Implications :D ( lack of n-body physics means you broke the First Law of thermodynamics and that you can, among other things , do perpetual motion machines of the first kind ... ) Oh well, as I already opened my special reserve of suspension of disbelief, might as well drink it :D

Edited by r_rolo1
Clarification on the unfortunate implications ... and grammar, once again.

20 minutes ago, r_rolo1 said:

Hum, Kuzzter ...

1) Uranus is a M6 body in terms of visibility from Earth, barely on the limit of visibilty by naked eye by a average human ( and people with good visual acuity can see it if you point where it is ( remember, barely visible :D ) and in fact there are pre-telescope records in both China and Europe of Uranus ( no one realized it was a planet though ... just a barely visible star ). Not the best example possible :D

2) The point Geschosskopf raises is a fair one. A alter-Kerbin opposite from the Sun from Kerbin would be pretty visible from Duna or ( especiallly ) Eve ( in Eve it would be rather visible, far more than Venus from Earth ) and I have to open my special reserve of suspension of disbelief to assume that a rather long scientific mission to Eve orbit would fail to notice that bright and moving spot that was not ( very .. see below ) visible from Kerbin. 

But I don't need that much to say that a alter-Kerbin would already be known if it existed, by the same reasons we know there is no alter-Earth IRL ( and yes, that was already suggested seriously more than once ):

b ) Alter-Kerbin would be visible from Kerbin ... due to gravitational lensing. Due to that, Alter-Kerbin would appear as a ring around the Sun that would be visible in Solar ecplises ( that ,as you know , are very common in Kerbin ). And we can assure that there is gravitational lensing in the KSP universe: we have both radioactive generators and nuclear engines, so we know for a fact that relativity applies ;)

( P.S. IRL there is a third reason: due to the Earth eliptical orbit, a alter-Earth would librate back and forth enough to be visible from Earth at times. Because Kerbin has a perfectly circular orbit, in theory a perfectly opposite to Kerbin alter-Kerbin would always be behind the Sun )

Well, it is your story , Kuzzter, but be aware there are some issues with the alter-Kerbin issue, if you choose to go that way :D

The Kerbiverse isn't actually physically accurate (from a RL point of view) in a lot of things, including relativistic time delay, n-body problems or the size of planets and stars. What if the kerbal laws of nature are such that Kuzzter's story is completely plausible?