Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 21--Surely she wouldn't do THAT!

Mister Dilsby

5 hours ago, Nefrums said:

I was wondering that as well. It sound simpler just to send up Gliido to get the crew.

Do we see a test of some emergency rescue equipment to be used when if jeb crashes Skimmeroo.

That certainly seems like a good backup plan.

10 hours ago, smjjames said:

Why are you putting chutes onto the quadhammer when it isn't even going to be landing on an atmosphered moon? Unless of course you mean landing on Kerbin.

Hey, that's expensive hardwarde, that is. You don't want to just leave it languishing in LKO, do you? Mort might be a lot of things, but I don't think his dear old mechanical heart could take that kind of anguish.

The process of orbiting the [REDACTED] will, I expect, be somewhat entertaining.

I'm sure the propulsion system will be epic no matter what.
To misquote Clauselle "Go big or you will not go anywhere!".

Every part of the mission requires solving seven intractable problems before breakfast.

Anyway, I'm quite looking forward to the interlude, now.

Happy Concerned landings!

1 hour ago, parameciumkid said:

Kuzzterfluck.

@Kuzzter

...to distract and derail...

Where is the autorepbutton instalikefunction for this Forummember? Squad? Do you copy? :wink: Give this man a permission to write international in reasonable measure. We know this is been read all over this globe.

14 hours ago, smjjames said:

Why are you putting chutes onto the quadhammer when it isn't even going to be landing on an atmosphered moon? Unless of course you mean landing on Kerbin.

9 hours ago, Nefrums said:

I was wondering that as well. It sound simpler just to send up Gliido to get the crew.

Great questions! Let's answer them:

67EmrFq.png

There, now don't you feel silly? Deddly gets it. I wonder if he's secretly an accountant?

3 hours ago, Deddly said:

Hey, that's expensive hardwarde, that is. You don't want to just leave it languishing in LKO, do you? Mort might be a lot of things, but I don't think his dear old mechanical heart could take that kind of anguish.

Moving on...

C1nH04G.png

KGN5seR.png

Poor Lisa. Hopefully there were plenty of sick bags on the ship this time. And before anyone comments on those contracts--yes, I already recovered the ship, so yes, I know :( We'll deal with that hilarity in the next update!

3 hours ago, Starhawk said:

The process of orbiting the [REDACTED] will, I expect, be somewhat entertaining.

I'm thinking it might not be too bad, but we'll see. One thing's for sure, it will be able to carry a LOT of fuel. I can fill up all the bays with decouplable orange tanks like I did with the Agenda, then ditch them before I send up the landers. It's designed so that it pretty much lifts with nothing but cargo bays, fuel and engines. Hmm, sort of like this:

_75208370_3315821.jpg

...that's HMS Dreadnought, 1906, riding VERY high in the water before getting a superstructure, guns, etc.

9 hours ago, Nefrums said:

Do we see a test of some emergency rescue equipment to be used when if jeb crashes Skimmeroo.

And you know, this is not a bad idea. I might just install 'chutes on Quadhammer for an emergency Laythe trip, or else carry an add-on package like this one.

2 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

And you know, this is not a bad idea. I might just install 'chutes on Quadhammer for an emergency Laythe trip, or else carry an add-on package like this one.

I wholeheartedly concur.

An add-on package would be an ideal item to carry in a nook or cranny somewhere on the [REDACTED].  I must admit, I'm a bit curious about the final part count.
I sure hope you don't have a Whackjob-style meltdown with the Kerbfleet system!

Happy Concerned landings!

1 hour ago, Scotius said:

Let's hope it won't end like...this:

Bluecher_sinkend.jpg

That is SMS Blucher (there should be an umlaut over that u) - a German WW I era armoured cruiser sinking after being curbstomped by British battlecruisers.

...I've never thought of applying the term "curb-stomped" to the Dodger Banks engagement, ...but gosh-darn if it doesn't suit.

2 hours ago, Scotius said:

Let's hope it won't end like...this:

That is SMS Blucher (there should be an umlaut over that u) - a German WW I era armoured cruiser sinking after being curbstomped by British battlecruisers.

Eek! And hopefully the [REDACTED] is not full of explodium like the British battlecruisers of that era!

2 hours ago, Starhawk said:

I sure hope you don't have a Whackjob-style meltdown with the Kerbfleet system!

Oh yes, we'll see where we are with all ships docked and thrusting--but I tend to be pretty efficient w.r.t. part count, so hopefully it'll be OK. 

1 hour ago, Starwhip said:

No! You linked that website! There goes an hour of my day. :(

Since it's the weekend, I'll 'helpfully' paste the Tropes section from the Canon thread:

Armor-Piercing Question: Deeman Kerman asked a lot of these during the trial in Eve: Order Zero, such as this one to Tedus.

Brick Joke: Jeb escaped custody just to complete one of these.

Counter-Earth: Kerbulus is most likely a 'counter-Kerbin' based on several clues given in Eve: Order Zero

Crowning Moment of Awesome: The author does try his best to provide these with some frequency. Hoping for reader feedback on the best examples for some of the main characters.

Mildly Military: Seeing as Kerbals have no concept of war or violence, Kerbfleet is definitely this. 

No One Gets Left Behind: The entire basis of Eve: Order Zero

"The Reason You Suck" Speech: Val telling Mort 'the truth' at Bill and Jeb's court-martial.

Villanous BSOD: Mort, quite literally, after Val's speech on the value of a Kerbal's life in Eve: Order Zero 

1 minute ago, Kuzzter said:

Since it's the weekend, I'll 'helpfully' paste the Tropes section from the Canon thread:

Nonononononononono it's too late to be getting into that now, nope, not going to look at them.... I hope.

Maybe just one...

3 hours ago, GarrisonChisholm said:

3 hours ago, GarrisonChisholm said:

...I've never thought of applying the term "curb-stomped" to the Dodger Banks

Ah, now you speakee me lingo.  But OTOH, I still wouldn't use that term.  SMS....

... had an ammo-handling fire-trap issue but otherwise stood up quite well, considering BCF stopped to pounder her to smithereens allowing the rest of I.SG to escape.  Which, despite the serious turret fires in SMS Seydlitz, was probably best for BCF

2 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Eek! And hopefully the [REDACTED] is not full of explodium like the British battlecruisers of that era!

This is a somewhat unfair assessment.  It wasn't the fault of the BCs' design.  It was the fault of their cordite, which was the real "explodium" involved.  And the Brits kept using the same stuff into WW2 with similar results.  As did the IJN, which had been under RN tutelage in its formative period so used the same propellant.  See al lthe dev notes I wrote when I worked for Storm Eagle Studios and made the Jutland game.  Also read Jutland:  An Analysis of the Fighting by NJM Campbell.

And if anybody wants to talk naval warfare, PM me so we can keep this thread on topic :D

Edited by Geschosskopf

2 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

This is a somewhat unfair assessment.  It wasn't the fault of the BCs' design.  It was the fault of their cordite, which was the real "explodium" involved. 

Well all right (though my understanding was that they had also failed to include double magazine locks in the turrets), just as long as if it happens Admiral Shirley can turn to her flag captin and say, "There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"

31 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

Ah, now you speakee me lingo.  But OTOH, I still wouldn't use that term.  SMS....

... had an ammo-handling fire-trap issue but otherwise stood up quite well, considering BCF stopped to pounder her to smithereens allowing the rest of I.SG to escape.  Which, despite the serious turret fires in SMS Seydlitz, was probably best for BCF

This is a somewhat unfair assessment.  It wasn't the fault of the BCs' design.  It was the fault of their cordite, which was the real "explodium" involved.  And the Brits kept using the same stuff into WW2 with similar results.  As did the IJN, which had been under RN tutelage in its formative period so used the same propellant.  See al lthe dev notes I wrote when I worked for Storm Eagle Studios and made the Jutland game.  Also read Jutland:  An Analysis of the Fighting by NJM Campbell.

And if anybody wants to talk naval warfare, PM me so we can keep this thread on topic :D

Cleverest Young Frankenstein Drop Ever.

And prepare to be boarded- err, PM'd...

@Kobymaru 1.0.5 included a water overhaul. Water is now safe for your craft to plunge into without resorting to magical air-intake flotation devices. For the same reason, Kuzzter is able to make a flying boat that can both take off from and land on water