Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 21--Surely she wouldn't do THAT!

Mister Dilsby

Sorry for going off what you guys are talking about but I just wanted to say, how can you be so creative? The story itself, the way you put the images together, the way you take the pictures in-game, and the designs! You're too awesome man. And if anyone here needs a break then it's you.

I still didn't finish Jool Odyssey (chapter 4) but I'm sure the ending is awesome. I wonder what the next mission will be! Can I give some suggestions if that's okay? Not necessarily about the missions but in general :)

33 minutes ago, Martian Music said:

I still didn't finish Jool Odyssey (chapter 4) but I'm sure the ending is awesome. I wonder what the next mission will be! Can I give some suggestions if that's okay? Not necessarily about the missions but in general :)

Thanks for the kind words! Don't worry I haven't finished it either :) We're up to Chapter 8 and still a couple game years from the Jool encounter. As far as suggestions--no, and thanks for asking. :) 

You may or may not have noticed a rant or two on that subject further up the page. Why am I like this? Well, you asked how I'm able to make this comic, and one possible answer to that question is that I feel particularly driven to tell my own story in my own way. That drive is what makes me spend many more hours putting together pages than I ever spent just playing the game; it's what has me lying in bed at night thinking about what should happen in the next chapter and exactly how to reveal the next piece of information in an ongoing mystery. I agonize over this stuff because I have a pretty clear vision of how I want the story to go, and I want it to come out in the most effective way. I'm not interested in doing all that work to tell a story that doesn't fit into my vision, and only I can really know what that vision is.

And that's why I don't take suggestions. :) 

1 hour ago, Martian Music said:

Sorry for going off what you guys are talking about but I just wanted to say, how can you be so creative? The story itself, the way you put the images together, the way you take the pictures in-game, and the designs! You're too awesome man. And if anyone here needs a break then it's you.

Tho I'm trying to refrain from posting to much I can say that it's only the current chapter that has finished.

*But nobody came...

Ninja'd by the Great Kuzzter!

*Yet Nobody Came

7 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Thanks for the kind words! Don't worry I haven't finished it either :) We're up to Chapter 8 and still a couple game years from the Jool encounter. As far as suggestions--no, and thanks for asking. :) 

You may or may not have noticed a rant or two on that subject further up the page. Why am I like this? Well, you asked how I'm able to make this comic, and one possible answer to that question is that I feel particularly driven to tell my own story in my own way. That drive is what makes me spend many more hours putting together pages than I ever spent just playing the game; it's what has me lying in bed at night thinking about what should happen in the next chapter and exactly how to reveal the next piece of information in an ongoing mystery. I agonize over this stuff because I have a pretty clear vision of how I want the story to go, and I want it to come out in the most effective way. I'm not interested in doing all that work to tell a story that doesn't fit into my vision, and only I can really know what that vision is.

And that's why I don't take suggestions. :) 

I totally understand, and thanks for replying :D (you too @SpaceplaneAddict:D ) it's quite amazing that you think about it in bed, and yes. the fact that you're telling your own story in your own way is what makes this so awesome.

But can I ask the following if you don't mind? Do you use mods or do you rather stick to the stock game? Because I wasn't gonna actually suggest anything about the story but rather a couple mods that "might" make a nice addition :)

6 minutes ago, Martian Music said:

I totally understand, and thanks for replying :D (you too @SpaceplaneAddict:D ) it's quite amazing that you think about it in bed, and yes. the fact that you're telling your own story in your own way is what makes this so awesome.

But can I ask the following if you don't mind? Do you use mods or do you rather stick to the stock game? Because I wasn't gonna actually suggest anything about the story but rather a couple mods that "might" make a nice addition :)

I believe @Kuzzter uses mods.

25 minutes ago, RA3236 said:

Weren't you using the USI mods at one stage?

Still am, life support and nuclear power.

9 minutes ago, Martian Music said:

Hey I just wanna say something, since there's a good amount of characters now, I'm getting a bit confused. I used to tell if Bill or Jeb's talking by the color of the boxes, now they get repeated a bit. Can you add new box colors?

What, are you trolling me now? Yeah, sure, I'll add new colors just as soon as Gene Roddenberry updates his. :P  Seriously though, if you can't tell the characters apart, more box colors are not going to help you. 

1 hour ago, Kuzzter said:

And that's why I don't take suggestions.

If only there was a place on these forums where people could take the ideas they come up with after getting inspired and write them out however they saw fit... that would be flipping brilliant. 

And don't think of it as competing with the several brilliant storytellers here. You're just adding your voice to the greatness that is this game, and I think anyone who does that is pretty cool. 

10 hours ago, Torgo said:

If only there was a place on these forums where people could take the ideas they come up with after getting inspired and write them out however they saw fit... that would be flipping brilliant. 

And don't think of it as competing with the several brilliant storytellers here. You're just adding your voice to the greatness that is this game, and I think anyone who does that is pretty cool. 

Totally agree. You know, some people may have great ideas but, say, lack the skills to deliver it with pictures. I'd love to see people helping each other out by taking someone's ideas and making it a comic or something similar.

1 hour ago, FlyingPete said:

"The chances of anything coming from Mars Kerbulus are a million to one, he said...."

Yes, the Evil Boss has much cause to Ponder.  It's by now clear to him that Intrepid is going to Jool which has 2 potential implications:

1. The (presumably nuclear-armed) Kerbals only just now discovered Kerbulus via Intrepid; or
  2. The (presumably nuclear-armed) Kerbals knew about Kerbulus before but dismissed it as zero threat and flaunted this by flying close enough to scare the Kerbulians but carrying on to Jool.

Given that the Kerbals surely learned of the sack of their Eve leftovers prior to Intrepid setting sail, alternative #1 would seem off the table.  That means the Kerbulians should tread lightly.  Maintaining surveillance, looking for weaknesses, maybe be trying to establish an embassy for spying purposes, but absolutely not launching an all-out assault on Kerbin, at least until the situation is more clear.

After all, if the Kerbals could send something as awesome as Intrepid to Jool while ignoring the armed might of Kerbulus, it's best not to irritate them.  Attacks on Kerbal leftovers should cease at once and Kerbulus should offer an apology.  Not meaning it, of course, but for form's sake, to buy time.

Edited by Geschosskopf

1 hour ago, Geschosskopf said:

Yes, the Evil Boss has much cause to Ponder.  It's by now clear to him that Intrepid is going to Jool which has 2 potential implications:

1. The (presumably nuclear-armed) Kerbals only just now discovered Kerbulus via Intrepid; or
  2. The (presumably nuclear-armed) Kerbals knew about Kerbulus before but dismissed it as zero threat and flaunted this by flying close enough to scare the Kerbulians but carrying on to Jool.

Given that the Kerbals surely learned of the sack of their Eve leftovers prior to Intrepid setting sail, alternative #1 would seem off the table.  That means the Kerbulians should tread lightly.  Maintaining surveillance, looking for weaknesses, maybe be trying to establish an embassy for spying purposes, but absolutely not launching an all-out assault on Kerbin, at least until the situation is more clear.

After all, if the Kerbals could send something as awesome as Intrepid to Jool while ignoring the armed might of Kerbulus, it's best not to irritate them.  Attacks on Kerbal leftovers should cease at once and Kerbulus should offer an apology.  Not meaning it, of course, but for form's sake, to buy time.

There's also:

1. The (presumably nuclear-armed) Kerbals have not yet discovered Kerbalus via Intrepid, but will soon and then will;
    1. Launch a war mission against them
    2. Change their destination, and use the Intrepid against them

That would make launching a mission to destroy the Intrepid before they can radio home the best option. :worried:

1 hour ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

There's also:

1. The (presumably nuclear-armed) Kerbals have not yet discovered Kerbalus via Intrepid, but will soon and then will;
    1. Launch a war mission against them
    2. Change their destination, and use the Intrepid against them

That would make launching a mission to destroy the Intrepid before they can radio home the best option. :worried:

I think the Kerbulians can tell what engines Intrepid has and what fuels them, and can look at her volume and make deductions for reasonable tankage.  So I'm sure they know that there's no way, after doing the burn she did, that Intrepid can possibly visit Kerbulus prior to reaching Jool, staying there long enough to refuel, and then coming back when the planets align favorably.

Now it could be that a window from Jool to Kerbulus comes up sooner than a window back to Kerbin.  And if that happens, and intrepid burns on it several years hence, then the Kebulians will still have several MORE years to prepare a reception.  So worst case given roughly similar Kerbal tech, the Kerbuplians have nothing to fear from Intrepid and nothing previoulsy mentioned ready for a Jool return mission, so I'm sure they'll let her go in peace.  If she becomes a threat, it'll be the better part of a decade hence so for the short term, no problem  The main question is what do the evil twin planets do with each other in the meantime.

Edited by Geschosskopf

4 hours ago, Deddly said:

...except that Intrepid just demonstrated that it doesn't need to wait for launch windows. 

"Why wait for a window when you can knock down the door?"

But it still did wait for a window, it just wasn't the most optimal one. They had to wait until Minmus was on the other side of Kerbin to make their burn, or else they'd run out of fuel. Radical interplanetary burns to change your direction ~45 deg take a lot of ∆V.

17 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Hm.

15 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Hm!!

14 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

I think the Kerbulians can tell what engines Intrepid has and what fuels them, and can look at her volume and make deductions for reasonable tankage.  So I'm sure they know that there's no way, after doing the burn she did, that Intrepid can possibly visit Kerbulus prior to reaching Jool, staying there long enough to refuel, and then coming back when the planets align favorably.

HMMMM!!!!

All very good points. Shall we check in with Our Heroes... and Our Villains?

vFfXfOO.png

xMoSCUG.png

1cPEqOU.png

c5XB1i4.png

"The 'agony' of writing on demand." - I laughed and laughed.  Especially after I read the whole thing.

Curiouser and curiouser.  Could it be that Kenlie Kerman still doesn't realize that Kenlie Kermulan can see through his eyes?

How did he know that Lisa Kermulan had turned and burned for home?

Is it possible he's experiencing other points of view, as well as his counterpart's?

Will we ever get to see Gene Kermulan's face?

Both Gene and Bob Kermulan are strong, effective, dangerous leaders.  The Intrepid's crew are very capable, but without the ability to communicate, they're basically alone.  They will have to manage without the help of anyone back on Kerbin.  Meanwhile, the bad guys have an entire evil empire at their disposal!

What is Gene Kermulan thinking behind that koffee mug of his?

Happy Concerned Nervous Anxious Frightened landings!

Wow, so Kenlie "MacGyver" Kerman sabotaged the ship to prevent them being tracked, put all the necessary parts for the transponder into a DIY rocket and shot it away from the ship to prevent an engineer from repairing the equipment. Clever guy(ver)! That means Kenlie likely knows the crew wouldn't believe him if he told them what he knows and has taken the only action he could in order to protect the ship - at considerable cost to himself once he's found out. I do believe that this makes him one SadS beero - er, BadS hero!

Communication was cut at such a point that Kerbulus knows that they have only just been discovered, but they don't know what Kerbfleet intend to do about it. Fear and uncertainty.