The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

2 hours ago, Buzz light fear said:

@Just Jimhow did you find the location because I can't seem to find any interactive duna maps online.:huh: Was it the face on duna that you found it is only a few degrees from the coordinates is put up

There was a invaluable site called Kerbalmaps, unfortunately it's gone down.  However, you can use the internet archive version (very slow), or this rehost.  There's some people working on a new version with updated biome maps on the old thread too (page 6 and onwards): 

2 hours ago, Just Jim said:

"Now hear this!! This is Sanny, you have just one warning. If you want your fancy-dancy computer system back online, tell Sparkles to cooperate and return with me to Ovok... NOW! Do not underestimate me, before I died I was imprisoned by the Circus for writing viruses... don't make me show you why they tortured me first.... I am now the ghost in your machine, and you have been warned."

Dun dun dun :) 

Over in the Circus universe, the Boffins and Scientists are troubled.  Given the perverse nature of Sanny's pre-Circus crimes and the potential threat these skills posed to Circus endeavors if her hold habits resurfaced, she was given the most stringent form of chemical indoctrination.  But the trauma of losing "her" Monolith has overcome this impediment.  Of course, she's dead and lots of unforeseen things have happened, but still, what she got was supposed to be ironclad behavioral modification.  Her spores' spores 3 generations hence should have all been model citizens, if she'd popped back home.  Obviously, indoctrination procedures must be revised :)

Excellency," Carlenna's sinister voice oozed, "Master of the Universe and Lord of all Kraken. We are your loyal thralls to command."

A dark and hungry god arises.  What terrors will he unleash?

17 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

Dun dun dun :) 

Over in the Circus universe, the Boffins and Scientists are troubled.  Given the perverse nature of Sanny's pre-Circus crimes and the potential threat these skills posed to Circus endeavors if her hold habits resurfaced, she was given the most stringent form of chemical indoctrination.  But the trauma of losing "her" Monolith has overcome this impediment.  Of course, she's dead and lots of unforeseen things have happened, but still, what she got was supposed to be ironclad behavioral modification.  Her spores' spores 3 generations hence should have all been model citizens, if she'd popped back home.  Obviously, indoctrination procedures must be revised :)

Ahhh, but given the proper.... incentive... anyone can be unconditioned.  I learned this from Baron Vladimir Harkonnen himself... :wink:

20 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

A dark and hungry god arises.  What terrors will he unleash?

Oh wow... I am a HUGE Thomas Covenant fan!  I have to go find this! :)

2 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Ah, love that subtle Dune reference!

Yeah, the "Fat Baron" is one of my absolute favorite "love to hate" characters, both in the book and as portrayed by Ian McNeice in the mini-series. If you haven't seen it, Ian does a brilliant job of being bad... and having a little too much fun doing it. 

13 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

I love the disclaimer... Could Thompberry just be mistaken instead of evil?

Cannot confirm or deny at this point... :sticktongue:

Yay, new chapter! And sorry, Parka! His soul has clearly been flung out of its body... if he can find his way to the Circus SAVE, Orbles might be able to help. 

Speaking of which, the most awesome crossover ever would be if the Circus sent Ghostbusters into the Emiko SAVE to hunt down Sanny :P.

4 minutes ago, KAL 9000 said:

Yay, new chapter! And sorry, Parka! His soul has clearly been flung out of its body...

More like he's now trapped inside a tiny corner of his own mind.  :0.0:

10 minutes ago, KAL 9000 said:

Speaking of which, the most awesome crossover ever would be if the Circus sent Ghostbusters into the Emiko SAVE to hunt down Sanny

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if any of the rest of the Circus could cross over. Sanny is unique in being a real ghost... I almost said real live ghost... :sticktongue: And because she's so heavily bonded with "her" monolith.

I've thought a lot about this possibility, and I'll be exploring more about she ended up in the Emiko universe in the next chapter. :wink:

21 minutes ago, The solid fuel chemist said:

"but you can call me kerbnet" @Just Jim

(sound of head banging against wall)

17 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

And that's where 1.2 comes in...

Well, I had to explain it somehow...   :D

Edited by Just Jim

5 minutes ago, obney kerman said:

So Kerbnet is an ancient artificial intelligence born from the memory of a saucer, and right now Jeb is using it to stream Netflix? All right then.

In a nutshell, yes. Not sure about streaming netflixs... but I suppose that's possible.  :)

Edited by Just Jim

Ahhh, but given the proper.... incentive... anyone can be unconditioned.  I learned this from Baron Vladimir Harkonnen himself... :wink:

One of my role-models.  Way back in the late-80s, on Compuserve, there was a horribly expensive (as in like $2/hour on top of the several $$ per hour having internet at all cost) game called MegaWars.  Back then I was a member of the Dune team, which was successful enough to have an article written about us in a print magazine of the time, featuring a full-page photo of our leader.  I was a mere pawn, and went by the handle of Feyd-Rautha :)

Oh wow... I am a HUGE Thomas Covenant fan!  I have to go find this! :)

Put down the white-gold ring and slowly back away :)

3 hours ago, Just Jim said:

More like he's now trapped inside a tiny corner of his own mind.  :0.0:

Speaking of nutshells...

"O God, I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams."  (Shakespeare, Hamlet, Act 2, Scene 2).

Edited by Geschosskopf

Oh, I should mention I talked privately to @Parkaboy before I wrote out this chapter and told him what I had planned for his character... more or less... :rolleyes:.  

14 hours ago, obney kerman said:

So Kerbnet is an ancient artificial intelligence born from the memory of a saucer, and right now Jeb is using it to stream Netflix? All right then.

14 hours ago, The solid fuel chemist said:

"but you can call me kerbnet" @Just Jim

14 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

And that's where 1.2 comes in...

Actually, I do have a plan, and an ulterior motive, for wanting the R&D main computer to have it's own resident AI....
The clues are in that last chapter... :wink:

14 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

I was a mere pawn, and went by the handle of Feyd-Rautha :)

Awesome!  Except Feyd was never just a mere pawn... :wink:

14 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Put down the white-gold ring and slowly back away :)

Oh no... no white gold in the Emiko universe... problem solved. :rolleyes:

12 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Speaking of nutshells...

"O God, I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams."  (Shakespeare, Hamlet, Act 2, Scene 2).

Wow... Leave it to Shakespeare to sum it up perfectly!  :)

12 hours ago, Buzz light fear said:

@Just Jim you are a great author and. I didn't even know that the cave was back and I am so impressed that it was the ladder mans son i would have never guessed the use of the engines on that foot kerbal also enjoyed the disclaimer at the end of the chapter.:cool:

Thank you! :)

The cave was fixed in version 1.2.

And I thought the disclaimer would be a slightly comical touch... 

Edited by Just Jim

20 hours ago, Just Jim said:

***   Notice: No Kerbals were actually incinerated, seared, barbecued or otherwise poofed during the making of this chapter.   ***

You do not know how glad PETK (People for the Ethical Treatment of Kerbals) is to hear this.

20 hours ago, Just Jim said:

***   Notice: No Kerbals were actually incinerated, seared, barbecued or otherwise poofed during the making of this chapter.   ***

hhhmmm..... The SPCAK (Society Preventing Cruelty and Abuse to Kerbals) will investigate this claim...

5 minutes ago, Garrett Kerman said:

Reminds me of a rather good story by @CatastrophicFailure

(Sorry for going off-topic)

No, it's fine. I'm a fan of @CatastrophicFailure, and I just now got all caught up on "Whispers", and you're right, there are a lot of creepy parallels.

But I'm still fairly sure we're on different paths... I think. I'm not quite sure where he's going with his. 

So I was play in kerbal the other day and noticed that a class C asteroid is on approach to kerbin so Jim inspired  me to go and catch it and mine its resources for my own pur purposes. But I have a delima jeb's crew will be back in six days from duna and the asteroid will be closest then too any idea on how to do both without killing the crew and their ship.:huh:

Edited by Buzz light fear
Spelling