The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

First of all, I would like to put it on the record that the Dragonfly is awesome. The only things I like more than unnecessarily small rovers are unnecessarily big rovers, unnecessarily complex rovers, and well-outfitted rovers. The Dragonfly is all of those, and it looks good.

Second of all, I would like to thank @Just Jim for making Stayputniks look sinister despite being featureless grey spheres.

On 5/20/2016 at 0:31 PM, Just Jim said:

Hey everyone, I need to take a little time off, sorry.  Back problems  :(

Damn sorry to hear that.  Get well soonI hope you're not on pain-killers that preclude imbibing muscle relaxants :)

22 minutes ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

I meant that like as in "I support you through bad times".

Same with me.

Hey everyone.  Sorry about this.  

What's wrong with my back is I have something called a Spondylolisthesis of the 5th lumbar vertebra.  Simply put, my bottom vertebra is about 10mm out of place, forwards and a bit down, from where it should be.  And all the discs and muscles and everything around it are deformed and squished, and the nerves are pinched.  And there is nothing much that can be done about it.  Three different doctors, including one of the very best in Florida, all said the same thing, surgery could help, or make it much worse, and it's about 50/50 either way.  So unless it gets worse, it's better not to even try.

Oh, and the really fun part is I don't do pain killers.  They don't help, and just make me really, really sick.  Although I sometimes wonder if this isn't actually a good thing???  I can never become addicted to them, that's for sure!

Anyway, I try not to make a big deal of it, but sometimes if I move wrong, it locks up really bad, and I end up in bed for a few days, which is what happened this time.  It's not so bad today, and I'm hoping it's simmered down again.  Another day should do it.

34 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

What's wrong with my back is I have something called a Spondylolisthesis of the 5th lumbar vertebra.  Simply put, my bottom vertebra is about 10mm out of place, forwards and a bit down, from where it should be.  And all the discs and muscles and everything around it are deformed and squished, and the nerves are pinched.  And there is nothing much that can be done about it.  Three different doctors, including one of the very best in Florida, all said the same thing, surgery could help, or make it much worse, and it's about 50/50 either way.  So unless it gets worse, it's better not to even try.

Oh, and the really fun part is I don't do pain killers.  They don't help, and just make me really, really sick.  Although I sometimes wonder if this isn't actually a good thing???  I can never become addicted to them, that's for sure!

Anyway, I try not to make a big deal of it, but sometimes if I move wrong, it locks up really bad, and I end up in bed for a few days, which is what happened this time.  It's not so bad today, and I'm hoping it's simmered down again.  Another day should do it.

One day the kraken ate the SPH. Logic, Males on kerbin women on the mun. :P

3 hours ago, Just Jim said:

No worries man, feel better.  I'm sure you've already thought of this, but epsom salts in a hot bath can relax muscles.

I had a back problem back in 2008, twice because they did not fix it good enough the first time.  I know your pain, I was on the strongest painkiller they had and I was in excruciating pain until I healed.  I tellya I would not wish that on my worst enemy..

4 hours ago, NotAgain said:

Take all the time that you need. I have permanent back issues, and I know that they can be hell when they play up.

It's not so bad today.  

But I'm going to need a day, or maybe two, to do some more roving for the next couple chapters.  Got several hundred more kilometers to cover.

10 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

It's not so bad today.  

But I'm going to need a day, or maybe two, to do some more roving for the next couple chapters.  Got several hundred more kilometers to cover.

I feel really bad for you. :( 

Maybe if you need to drive that much and your back hurts just use Mechjeb to drive? Actually, most people don't really trust Mechjeb... So... Leave a block of wood on the W key?...

8 minutes ago, max_creative said:

I feel really bad for you. :( 

Maybe if you need to drive that much and your back hurts just use Mechjeb to drive? Actually, most people don't really trust Mechjeb... So... Leave a block of wood on the W key?...

hehehe..... yeah.  I like the block of wood idea.  I'm not a fan of Mechjeb, but some form of cruise control would be nice!

It's OK, driving is so much easier with a better computer, and I can sit with the keyboard in my lap and not have to move around much doing it.

3 hours ago, Just Jim said:

hehehe..... yeah.  I like the block of wood idea.  I'm not a fan of Mechjeb, but some form of cruise control would be nice!

It's OK, driving is so much easier with a better computer, and I can sit with the keyboard in my lap and not have to move around much doing it.

Lol yeah if I'm doing long roving I usually just quicksave and stack several heavy erasers on the W key... aren't shortcuts amazing!?

Oh boy..... folks, we have a... situation.  It's not a bad thing, it's a very, very, crazy good situation.  

Thanks to another thread on here, I just found out I can make videos with this new computer!!!  And really nice quality ones!  I just recorded a diamondback launch as a test, and it works great!  Now I need to dig out my synthesizer and get all that set up and I'll be able to do KSP music videos!!!

But this also raises one big, huge, Godzilla sized question.... should I just keep writing, or start work on Emiko Station: The Movie???   :cool:

Edited by Just Jim

2 hours ago, Just Jim said:

But this also raises one big, huge, Godzilla sized question.... should I just keep writing, or start work on Emiko Station: The Movie???   :cool:

Me, I'd supplement with some video and continue writing. Doing cinematically is a lot of work, I don't know that you will easily be able to tell the story you seem driven to tell if you switch to a less convenient medium :)

5 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Me, I'd supplement with some video and continue writing. Doing cinematically is a lot of work, I don't know that you will easily be able to tell the story you seem driven to tell if you switch to a less convenient medium :)

True.  And I've been thinking if I don't have some way of animating my characters more than just the game itself does, it might not work the way I want it to.  I'd need a full blown animation package, and I really don't want to talk about how much it would cost to renew my Lightwave licence...   ;.;

But I definitely want to make some videos now.  They could be a fun way to mix things up.  

As an experiment I made and uploaded a test video of a Diamondback launch.  Sorry, no narration.  I need to scrounge up a microphone.  All I have here are big music mics, and they're really overkill for narrating a video.  I'll try and find something in the next couple days.  This is just a test to see how they look online.
And to finally really show off one of these monsters going into orbit.  :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Just Jim said:

True.  And I've been thinking if I don't have some way of animating my characters more than just the game itself does, it might not work the way I want it to.  I'd need a full blown animation package, and I really don't want to talk about how much it would cost to renew my Lightwave licence...   ;.;

But I definitely want to make some videos now.  They could be a fun way to mix things up.  

As an experiment I made and uploaded a test video of a Diamondback launch.  Sorry, no narration.  I need to scrounge up a microphone.  All I have here are big music mics, and they're really overkill for narrating a video.  I'll try and find something in the next couple days.  This is just a test to see how they look online.
And to finally really show off one of these monsters going into orbit.  :rolleyes:

(SNIP)

Hmm... Looks good, but I can't see it right now, so I'm basically judging a book by it's cover.

3 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I've seen it, but I don't really trust auto-roving on the Mun.  One big crater and bye-bye rover....

I trust rovers on Minmus. On the mun or Dres I either drive myself, or I turn on the rocket engines and put it in orbit. Then I just land it again. 

Stupid answers for easy questions. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, max_creative said:

I trust rovers on Minmus. On the mun or Dres I either drive myself, or I turn on the rocket engines and put it in orbit. Then I just land it again. 

Stupid answers for easy questions. :rolleyes:

It's OK, I drove around this morning and now I'm where I want to be.  I've actually gone over 1300km, and at least 2/3rds around the Mun.  I'll try and get the screenshots I need done later today and maybe have a new chapter ready by tomorrow or this weekend. 

On 5/26/2016 at 3:37 AM, Just Jim said:

All I have here are big music mics, and they're really overkill for narrating a video.

There's no such thing as overkill where microphones are concerned. Looking at the "big names" in KSP YouTube, they all appear to use mics in what looks like the $60-$100 range, and you can always tell when somebody does not :)

(I'm not a streamer, but ended up using a dedicated mic in that price range for Skype and Teamspeak... because it helps so much when people can actually understand you. Unless you deliberately want to distort your voice, in which case post-processing is probably still better than a cheap mic.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.