1.1 ksp to 1.05 differences

stuff

1 minute ago, StarManta said:

True enough, but why would they add connecting lines at all if they weren't going to make them avoid stacking on each other?

Sure, but how do you think 20 engine GUIs are going to look on a 1024 x 768 display?  Or even a 1920 x 1080?  The point being, we have no idea right now how they act within game, regardless of how nice they look.  It's an improvement for sure, but I'll reserve judgement until 1.1 releases.

11 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

Citation please. Last i heard squad was uncertain winx64 would make 1.1, so, being "that guy" proof required.

Citation please. Last I heard that, it was about 1.0.

Anyway, Devnote Tuesday two (near three) weeks ago:

Those of you using OSX will be happy to know that we’ve taken a significant hurdle there: Ted has decided that we’re ready to start testing the viability of OSX 64-bit builds! The OSX builds are now universal, meaning that we’re creating 32-bit and 64-bit packages in the same job and that we’re not looking at increased build times as a result. For those of you who facing an ontological or existential crisis after reading this: yes, we have 64 bit builds for Windows as well, and they’re rock steady so far.

Or more directly, the release announcement for 1.0.5:

[1.0.5] features content, bugfixes and rebalances that were part of the upcoming monster update 1.1, which will feature such things as multithreaded physics calculations and 64 bit support for Windows and OSX.

13 hours ago, regex said:

Two words: Realism Overhaul.

RO (plus a dozen other mods) works fine in the 32 bit client if you force it to use OpenGL.  Not having any performance or crashing problems, either.

Now, getting to orbit in RO. That I'm having a problem with.

4 hours ago, Majorjim said:

The current version performance is the worst it has ever been for me. I started playing KSP around v0.20.

Same. 

With all the experience I've gained playing this game...
With all the mods I know to fetch and use to reduce part counts...
With me dropping the Interplanetary ship from 700+ parts down to 175-250...

The game is still just as laggy as it was before I learned how to do stuff properly (thank god I did, lol).

6 hours ago, Majorjim said:

The current version performance is the worst it has ever been for me. I started playing KSP around v0.20.

You and me both. I've seen a steady drop in performance with each new stock "feature" since 0.17 or so, to the point that it's become "Kerbal part-count reduction program" for me.
This is not on laggard hardware either, so I really feel for those at or near the minimum spec.

At least v1.1 should stem the tide of "KSP crashes when I add mods, halp" support threads... I got tired of parroting the standard "engine memory limitation, no fix" line long ago.

All in all, I'm a realist not an optimist. I hear there's some improvement, but if history is anything to go by the game will still run like... words I cannot use here.

Anyone got any hard data on this supposed performance boost?

----

21 hours ago, Brofessional said:

OpenGL cuts the framerate in half and has issues with shadows.

Indeed, there appears to be something horribly wrong with OpenGL in this game (and this game alone as far as my experience goes)... any word on fixes for this? I'd kinda like to run full aero effects on my not-at-all-slow GPU.

While we're at it, how about anti-aliasing on GNU/Linux? Ya know, that ant-jag thing that pretty much all games have had for 10+ years? Or PPFX that works? that would be nice too.

Edited by steve_v

26 minutes ago, marcello639 said:

1.05+0.95=2

Technically I think it's 1.0.5 So +0.0.5 + 1.1.0. Unless it is not base 10 then it depends on which number system it represents. So, the original .05 was correct in a sense. ER and what he just said. I didn't even notice than until just now.

Edited by Arugela

6 hours ago, Arugela said:

Technically I think it's 1.0.5 So +0.0.5 + 1.1.0. Unless it is not base 10 then it depends on which number system it represents. So, the original .05 was correct in a sense. ER and what he just said. I didn't even notice than until just now.

This is the right answer.

On 2/3/2016 at 10:41 PM, *Aqua* said:

So the difference is 0.1.-5? (Reminds me of my math classes - I still shudder when I think about them.)

1.0.5 + 0.1.-5 = 1.1.0

What Brofessional meant was that you cant do additions on version numbers. you could have a 0.9 followed by a 0.10, and then a 0.11

I'm fairly certain they can make the version numbers literally whatever they want.  They are not obliged to be in exact chronological order, or even make sense.  They usually do, because not confusing people can be important for a company.

After all, how many patches were between .25 and .90?

Edited by Slam_Jones

On 2/1/2016 at 3:57 AM, Streetwind said:

The main difference is changing the underlying engine. Let me give you an analogy:

Imagine you have a house that's gotten a bit old. You go into that house, and tear out everything. All the electrical wiring, the plumbing, the windows, you redo everything. You buy completely new furniture, get a kickass home theater system and a jacuzzi. And finally, after half a year of grueling renovation work, you repaint the entire thing to to boot and put new shingles on the roof. Then somebody comes and notes: "Hmm, okay, I see new paint, but otherwise this house looks the same as before. So the renovation was purely cosmetic, right?"

That's just about what you're asking here :P The major thing about 1.1 is not something you'll ever see in a screenshot. It's all happening "under the hood". Squad's main focus, in fact, is to ensure that you notice as little of that work as possible - that the game makes this major transition smoothly and without feeling any different.

As far as the list of features goes, it's difficult to predict exactly what will come with the final release. The reason being that the engine overhaul is taking maximum priority. As such, most of the new features we will get will be things that are either a.) completely independent from any of that work (i.e. new parts would qualify), or b.) come about automatically through the revamp. For example, since the entire user interface is rebuilt from scratch anyway, making something look different where it makes sense is essentially 'free'.

If you really want to know about the entire scope of the changes, you'll have to crawl through the last 9 months worth of Devnote Tuesday. There is simply too much to mention. Expect the changelog for v1.1 to be longer than the one for v1.0.

But to mention a few things:
- Improved physics performance (lets you have more parts before you start lagging)
- Completely new wheel system that actually works like wheels
- RemoteTech style communication networks (can be disabled in the difficulty settings)
- Many new antenna parts for said system
- Assortment of other parts, like more landing gear sizes and a 10-meter inflatable heatshield
- All tutorials completely redone (and new ones added)
- The KSPedia, a sort-of-ingame-wiki (modders can add their own entries)
- Fancy new orbit splines (and you can probably spot many other UI improvements in that shot)

I would be surprised if that covered even half of the new features, much less any of the under-the-hood stuff.

You completely forgot - new snacks, hidden in most mk1 mkii and mkii parts ...   :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.