[WIP] Coatl Aerospace ProbesPlus Dev Thread [Beta] 10/19/2020 (1.8-1.10)

akron

10 minutes ago, eminrovers said:

i like the wip parts i just want to look at them

If you wish to admire the pictures, just bookmark the first page of this thread so that you can go back to it any time. Quoting the entire first post every time you make a comment clutters the thread, and makes it harder for other users.

Also, please don't continually pester modders for release dates.

6 hours ago, eminrovers said:

i like the wip parts i just want to look at them

I appreciate the interest. The only lander part that I have done is Surveyor. There are a few screenshots some pages back. I have some fixes to do on it, but it has taken a backseat as I worked in the Russian Venera/Vega probe. I should be finishing Surveyor sometime soon and maybe release an alpha of it. If you want to see WIP progress, stop by my twitch stream, usually on Friday nights, when I work on the mod and often do mini tutorials using my stuff.

18 hours ago, akron said:

I appreciate the interest. The only lander part that I have done is Surveyor. There are a few screenshots some pages back. I have some fixes to do on it, but it has taken a backseat as I worked in the Russian Venera/Vega probe. I should be finishing Surveyor sometime soon and maybe release an alpha of it. If you want to see WIP progress, stop by my twitch stream, usually on Friday nights, when I work on the mod and often do mini tutorials using my stuff.

to bad to the surveyor lander that was CANCELLED AFTER THE MARS 98 DISASTERS! YOU CAN SEE IT ON fourth millennium's surveyor lander here: http://www.fourth-millennium.net/mission-artwork/mars-surveyor-2001-lander.html   

so quick bit of bugsquashing- I installed this basically as soon as I saw it (So many Nifty Science Things!) BUT I had issues where several of the experiments are completely nonfunctional, such as the smaller dust experiment, the Barometer, and something like half the experiments added by this mod. now given my penchant for fiddling with MM, I've learned a few things about how those work, and it appears that these parts are using "DMModuleScienceAnimateGeneric" rather than "DMModuleScienceAnimate" which is used on the magnotometer boom (which works fine) so I tested it by removing the 'generic' from the barometer, which seems to have fixed the problem.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the ScienceAnimateGeneric module was deprecated by Dmagic a while ago, so you may want to make sure newer releases aren't using it.

Edited by Mechtech

13 hours ago, Mechtech said:

so quick bit of bugsquashing- I installed this basically as soon as I saw it (So many Nifty Science Things!) BUT I had issues where several of the experiments are completely nonfunctional, such as the smaller dust experiment, the Barometer, and something like half the experiments added by this mod. now given my penchant for fiddling with MM, I've learned a few things about how those work, and it appears that these parts are using "DMModuleScienceAnimateGeneric" rather than "DMModuleScienceAnimate" which is used on the magnotometer boom (which works fine) so I tested it by removing the 'generic' from the barometer, which seems to have fixed the problem.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the ScienceAnimateGeneric module was deprecated by Dmagic a while ago, so you may want to make sure newer releases aren't using it.

I think I know the problem, I don't think I updated the dependencies included with the mod to the latest yet. Are you running this in 1.2.1 or higher? I think Science Animate needs to be updated. @DMagic released an updated on November 3. Which was after my latest release. Firespitter is likely outdated as well.

wellthat'syourproblemrightthere.jpg

yeah, my main install is over Steam so I don't really get much of a choice about running the latest update. anyway, knocking the 'generic' off with a short MM patch fixed it as far as I could tell, so you may want to switch to using that anyway in order to be more future-proof. I have the latest of those dependencies already (I run a stupid amount of mods, TBH) so it's probobly that.

The generic one should be correct, as it is intended for situations such as these. (They do different things, I think, although one may be a subset of the other.) That the change worked for you is likely a result of having the full DMagic science package (correct me if I'm wrong though). As mentioned just above, the package in question was updated more recently and should be updated on your end as such. (Same for the firespitter dll as well, as mentioned.)

I'm sure when the next proper release of coatl will have the latest versions.

ps, support for ksp 1.3 when? :P 

Edited by komodo
Autocorrect hell

1 hour ago, Mechtech said:

wellthat'syourproblemrightthere.jpg

yeah, my main install is over Steam so I don't really get much of a choice about running the latest update. anyway, knocking the 'generic' off with a short MM patch fixed it as far as I could tell, so you may want to switch to using that anyway in order to be more future-proof. I have the latest of those dependencies already (I run a stupid amount of mods, TBH) so it's probobly that.

If you want to avoid updates, go into the local files and run the file with the kerbal's face on it. I'm not exactly sure what type it is, I don't have the computer in front of me, but it doesn't go through the steam client

On 12/8/2016 at 1:59 PM, komodo said:

The generic one should be correct, as it is intended for situations such as these. (They do different things, I think, although one may be a subset of the other.) That the change worked for you is likely a result of having the full DMagic science package (correct me if I'm wrong though). As mentioned just above, the package in question was updated more recently and should be updated on your end as such. (Same for the firespitter dll as well, as mentioned.)

I'm sure when the next proper release of coatl will have the latest versions.

ps, support for ksp 1.3 when? :P 

Next mod patch or release will definitely have whatever the latest FS and DSA. But I do not justify a patch of only the dependencies. We'll see. The next release is far away given that Vorona is not even in-game yet and there's still Cassini to do. I could release a Surveyor preview, but I don't know yet.

Anyway. sorry I missed the stream again. I planned on doing it, but I was just too exhausted from work. I even missed dinner. :( I have been working on stuff behind the scenes though. Mostly researching and writing configs for the Surveyor camera and doing a little work on the Vorona lander parachute. I think I can do a make-up stream this evening. I do work today, so we'll see.

~cheers 

7 hours ago, akron said:

Next mod patch or release will definitely have whatever the latest FS and DSA. But I do not justify a patch of only the dependencies. We'll see. The next release is far away given that Vorona is not even in-game yet and there's still Cassini to do. I could release a Surveyor preview, but I don't know yet.

Anyway. sorry I missed the stream again. I planned on doing it, but I was just too exhausted from work. I even missed dinner. :( I have been working on stuff behind the scenes though. Mostly researching and writing configs for the Surveyor camera and doing a little work on the Vorona lander parachute. I think I can do a make-up stream this evening. I do work today, so we'll see.

~cheers 

PREVIEW SURVEYOR!!! Please :D

Hey guys, sorry it's been very quiet. I've gotten back to working on things yesterday and managed to get the Fomalhaut parachute in-game but ran into two big issues:

1. The parachute deploys correctly but does not seem to generate drag to actually slow the craft down. I'm using the exact stats out of the stock Mk1 chute so IDK...
  2. The "fairing" cover for the parachute does not eject along with the cap. It's structured to, but KSP appears to ignore the hierarchy. This may not be correctable, so I may have to re-design the Fomalhaut capsule assembly (Harder but better) or make the top fairing a separate part (Easier but less optimal)

It is my first parachute, so I expected issues. This is why I got it in-game first. I'll tackle this again today as I add the rest of the lander. I am starting with it and then moving on to the orbiter. Kind of reverse order.

If anyone has an idea about the parachute, let me know.

Coming up with stats for the parts is going a pain...

-Cheers

1 hour ago, akron said:

Hey guys, sorry it's been very quiet. I've gotten back to working on things yesterday and managed to get the Fomalhaut parachute in-game but ran into two big issues:

1. The parachute deploys correctly but does not seem to generate drag to actually slow the craft down. I'm using the exact stats out of the stock Mk1 chute so IDK...
  2. The "fairing" cover for the parachute does not eject along with the cap. It's structured to, but KSP appears to ignore the hierarchy. This may not be correctable, so I may have to re-design the Fomalhaut capsule assembly (Harder but better) or make the top fairing a separate part (Easier but less optimal)

It is my first parachute, so I expected issues. This is why I got it in-game first. I'll tackle this again today as I add the rest of the lander. I am starting with it and then moving on to the orbiter. Kind of reverse order.

If anyone has an idea about the parachute, let me know.

Coming up with stats for the parts is going a pain...

-Cheers

To Point 1: Delete PartDatabase.cfg and Physics.cfg to force a rebuild of Drag-Cubes (Make a Backup of the Files!).

20 minutes ago, hraban said:

(Make a Backup of the Files!).

So, I never understood why it was necessary to make backups of these... They are freshly generated EVERY time KSP launches...
EVERY time I make significant changes to a mod(s), I delete all  of the ModuleManager cache files, as well as the PartsDatabase and Physics cfgs, so my next relaunch of KSP generates fresh copies of them all, based on the "new/chnaged" state of my KSP install... i have NEVER had any issues with this, so never needed backups...
Besides, if something DOES go wrong, and you needed to revert any changes you made, yould be reverting the files/mods you changed, and then KSP would generate FRESH, NEW copies of the MM/PD/Phys files, ANYWAY, and would overwrite any backups you replace... ??

Edited by Stone Blue

@Stone Blue

As user and consumer of KSP is already true, but as a modder I would also like to see what changes at which point. It is helpful for subsequent projects to compare the newly created files with the saved ones. I do not speak at this point of the MM files in the GameData directory.
The Phyiscs.cfg are stored in the root directory of KSP and are only re-created when this is forced by deletion. I had the same problem as akron with my mod CONTARES a few months ago.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.