[WIP] Coatl Aerospace ProbesPlus Dev Thread [Beta] 10/19/2020 (1.8-1.10)

akron

1 minute ago, Apollo13 said:

The sciencedefs file contained the text "Spoilers".

That said, I deleted it, and...drum roll...the context menus are correct.

Huh? Given that I don't trigger that on my install, I question what other mod doesn't like that. It was commented out anyway so the game should not be reading it as code

15 minutes ago, akron said:

Huh? Given that I don't trigger that on my install, I question what other mod doesn't like that. It was commented out anyway so the game should not be reading it as code

Upon removing that file, I can now access experiments (stock, non-stock) on vessels that would not display context menus.  The ONLY change was removing that file.

And, not just science experiments were effected.  I couldn't get crew reports from manned vessels either.

Edited by Apollo13

29 minutes ago, Apollo13 said:

29 minutes ago, Apollo13 said:

Upon removing that file, I can now access experiments (stock, non-stock) on vessels that would not display context menus.  The ONLY change was removing that file.

And, not just science experiments were effected.  I couldn't get crew reports from manned vessels either.

That file is not mostly blank though, you have to scroll down to see the code. I checked it briefly and I don't see anything wrong with it. All the brackets are there. Stupid question, Is it the latest version of my mod?

13 minutes ago, akron said:

That file is not mostly blank though, you have to scroll down to see the code. I checked it briefly and I don't see anything wrong with it. All the brackets are there. Stupid question, Is it the latest version of my mod?

Since I apparently have a better set of tools for this than most: I just downloaded the latest version off of Spacedock, and checked for non-ASCII characters.  I found 18 - all curly apostrophes.  Lines: 79, 190, 290, 295, 330, 403, 403 (yes, twice), 406, 413, 416, 419, 425, 426, 461, 461 (again, twice), 505, 528, 528 (twice).

8 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Since I apparently have a better set of tools for this than most: I just downloaded the latest version off of Spacedock, and checked for non-ASCII characters.  I found 18 - all curly apostrophes.  Lines: 79, 190, 290, 295, 330, 403, 403 (yes, twice), 406, 413, 416, 419, 425, 426, 461, 461 (again, twice), 505, 528, 528 (twice).

I fixed it on the GitHub repo so folks can download and test. Does this only affect certain Operating systems? I don't see this issue on my Windows 10 PC. Confused.

10 hours ago, DStaal said:

Backtics? The one on the tilde key on US keyboards? It shouldn't matter either way, this is weird... Could you paste a sample line? I don't have a copy handy at the moment. (Or do mean some Unicode snuck in at some point?)

Github will fix line endings across Linux/OS X  and Windows, which I'd be more suspicious of then a particular character. It's all just strings if the brackets are balanced. But fixing line endings should avoid problems, not cause them. (Nothing is perfect though...)

e: if just coatl and squad work, but with others it breaks, it's a MM issue somewhere. We'd need the MM cache and a log file to figure out what, though. 

Edited by komodo

2 hours ago, komodo said:

Backtics? The one on the tilde key on US keyboards? It shouldn't matter either way, this is weird... Could you paste a sample line? I don't have a copy handy at the moment. (Or do mean some Unicode snuck in at some point?)

Github will fix line endings across Linux/OS X  and Windows, which I'd be more suspicious of then a particular character. It's all just strings if the brackets are balanced. But fixing line endings should avoid problems, not cause them. (Nothing is perfect though...)

e: if just coatl and squad work, but with others it breaks, it's a MM issue somewhere. We'd need the MM cache and a log file to figure out what, though. 

Here is line 49 as it is in the mod's download:

SunInSpaceHigh = Kerbol’s Gamma Radiation is detectable even at long distances

Here is the same line with the new character:

SunInSpaceHigh = Kerbol's Gamma Radiation is detectable even at long distances

I agree with you that there must be an MM patch somewhere if my mod works standalone. I do not know which are the other mods have MM configs for my mod, but it would have to be one that modifies science experiments. MM log would help, didn't think of that.

4 hours ago, Poodmund said:

As mentioned above, if unaware, you can toggle the EOL functionality between Windows and UNIX modes in Notepad++ to play happy with GitHub if required...

Reveal hidden contents

Q6LU1fC.png

What I mean to say is that GitHub unifies the line endings upon push, to ... well I don't remember off hand what it goes to: I suspect to the windows standard of CR/LF, as Linux is often used to dealing with both, but many windows utilities ignore simple LF newlines.

But such a line as that quoted above doesn't seem out of the ordinary. If we do get a MM cache, the non-part nodes (such as experiment definitions) tend to to be toward the bottom, but no guarantee. If the MM cache is empty, it indicates there was a parse error from MM, but those it reports on the loading screen under the "patches applied" count. I would expect to find a mangled definition, or else a mangled science part. Working back to figure out whodunnit is difficult though. 

Edit to add, after reading over at SEP, apparently such a character can bungle up KSP/Unity after all O_o

although, on the other hand, some insane counterintuitive unity behavior? Perish the thought... Gah....

Edited by komodo

7 hours ago, komodo said:

Not Backticks.  Curly quote.  ’ or ‘ vs `.  Opt-']' and shift-opt-']' on Mac, I'm not sure what on Windows.

Or, more commonly put in automatically by your text editor as 'curly quotes' when you type the normal vertical tick apostrophe.

This has been a recurring issue with the SEP mod - what happens is that KSP will concatenate all science defs into one file which it reads - and if there is an issue reading it, it'll abort loading right there, leaving out all further definitions from it's superfile.  I'm not sure what all can cause it, but sticking to ASCII seems to keep things in order.  (A backtick is ASCII, curly quotes aren't.)

@DStaaland @komodo thanks for your insight!

The sciencedef file in my Github repo should be free of questionable characters. @Apollo13 you can try it and see if that fixes the problem. I'll post a link to the file by itself later. If that won't resolve the issue, then the culprit is another mod's MM sciencedef patch.

The real question is why so few people are affected. This sciencedef file has been unmodified for a couple of updates by now and there had been no issues until now.

That is a question.  I hadn't actually seen the issue this time - I just have a good text editor that can find these easily.  There's probably some interaction between OS, Unity, and specific Unicode characters.  (Assuming this fix actually solves the issue here.)

The coatl directory has two sciencedef files: one under GameData/Coatl Aerospace/Resources and one under GameData/Coatl Aerospace/ProbesPlus/Resources.  I deleted the second to make the mod work.

Edited by Apollo13

23 minutes ago, Apollo13 said:

The coatl directory has two sciencedef files: one under GameData/Coatl Aerospace/Resources and one under GameData/Coatl Aerospace/ProbesPlus/Resources.  I deleted the second to make the mod work.

I know the problem. You must have updated from an older version of my mod without removing the current Coatl Aerospace folder. I suggest you do a clean install now and going forward. I thought I added a warning about this; I know I did somewhere. 

The issue is that the game was loading two experiments with the same ID from two copies of the same ScienceDef file. This is because the folder structure for the mod changed in (I think) BETA 14.2. Overwriting the Coatl Aerospace folder was the cause. Mystery solved :D 

Thank you for your patience troubleshooting this.

EDIT: I did put a warning, here. I'll add it to the OP and other places as needed.

Edited by akron

On 15/11/2016 at 3:03 PM, Apollo13 said:

The sciencedefs file contained only the text "Spoilers".

That said, I deleted it, and...drum roll...the context menus are correct.

same thing here...and i just re-download the last version...sciencedef before remove the text "Spoilers" 12ko...after, 42ko ...now i check if it work