[ASC-III] Air Superiority Challenge - King of the Hill (BDArmory 4v4 AI Duels: WW1 Theme) - Now Concluded!

@inigma, fair warning- I might change my craft before the match. Any idea of when it'll be?

Also, are we allowed to submit pairs of fighters, to fight together? Say, with different armament?

Edited by Dman979

7 hours ago, NotAnAimbot said:

Yum, fresh meat. I'll test it tonight. Also, what mods are you using? There's an incompatible part.

He's using this procedural landing gear mod from the same guy who made BDA, which I fortunately did have, and is indeed allowed in this competition.

Edited by drtricky

1 minute ago, NotAnAimbot said:

R.I.P. X-38. Strange thing, the XF-4 never used its front Vulcans and kept on switching to the rear turret.Vu0c0Q9.png

be aware that if u have a turret, BDA AI will not use fixed cannons. Bring it up in the BDA thread to get this fixed.

4 minutes ago, NotAnAimbot said:

R.I.P. X-38. Strange thing, the XF-4 never used its front Vulcans and kept on switching to the rear turret.

That is the drawback of placing a turret on a fighter: the AI seems to favor turrets over any fixed guns.

Also, holy crap, a 12000 m chase?

Edited by drtricky

1 minute ago, drtricky said:

That is the drawback of placing a turret on a fighter: the AI seems to favor turrets over any fixed guns.

Well, that makes sense, most of the time. But the AI also has a hard time switching between guns and sidewinders for me.

Also, are we allowed to submit pairs of fighters, to fight together? Say, with different armament?

8 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Well, that makes sense, most of the time. But the AI also has a hard time switching between guns and sidewinders for me.

yes. you can even submit different fighters, and with different AI and weapon settings.

24 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Having designed a fighter with two goalkeepers on each, I've noticed this too. Whenever my fighter is within its set gun range, it will always use its goalkeepers over sidewinder missiles, unless it runs out of 30mm ammo.

Edited by drtricky

3 hours ago, inigma said:

Holy... moly... just tested Redshift OTF's Stealth Weasel against Guggy's X-38F in a 2v2 pre-game matchup test and the game bugged the cannons (I think) since no side fired canon shots, and after knocking out one x-38F with a Aim 120, the Weasels acted like they were sick and tired of not winning fast enough that one of simply flew straight in on purpose to sacrifice itself to collide head-on with the remaining x-38 to win the round for the surviving weasel.  Wicked. reminds me of that scene in DS9 and the dominion ship smacking into the USS Galaxy just 'cause it wanted its side to win. Too bad I didn't record it. I'll have to run a few more rounds to make sure nothing will bug out before I record the match, but .... eesh. I'm glad my Papa-1s didn't have to face the Weasels. :P

I think you meant the USS Odyssey but never mind :P </geek>

I'm glad to see the Weasel is pushing the limits of the competition. No doubt someone will build something that can reliably beat it. It was built to the Top Gun AI tourney restrictions so perhaps I shouldn't tell you I have a v2 that is much better than the first! I will save that for another day.

I should add that after a bit more testing I have seen what looks like AIM 120 missiles spawn right next to an enemy craft and kill it which looks like a bug. Not sure what causes it but it's a little annoying. :(

Also I used to run GAU guns on some of my older craft but in this version of BD A it looks like a pair of Vulcans are more effective. I'm not sure what changed during the last update but I think only turreted weapons will beat Vulcans now.

8 minutes ago, Redshift OTF said:

I'm not sure what changed during the last update but I think only turreted weapons will beat Vulcans now.

I personally noticed GAU-8's (both turreted and fixed) have a RoF that is audibly less than 2000 RPM, and I've also noticed they seem to do less damage than vulcans.

*no longer uses turbo jets

I now give you the Jay Bird , the jay bird is fast mach 1 at just above sea level, extremely agile (on the spot 360 turns) capable at most at most altitudes (assuming enough air) well armed with 6 amraams and 4 sidewinders it also comes equiped with 1 vulcan cannons for dogfighting. cable of a.i  flight just decrease the control authority menu or it will freak out.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qfzkbqxe0owh2vr/HSAA%20Jay%20Bird.craft?dl=0

Edited by The_Mad_Emu

5 hours ago, inigma said:

Badge just needs to say ASC Champion, have some modern US Airforce style wings, blue and black and silver to the logo colors :) A separate larger logo without Champion on it for the OP too. :) if you're up to it, thanks! 

Sure, I'll give it a go soon. Probs tomorrow now though, been out all day. :)

TAL-12K "Matador"

Callsigns RED and BLUE, meaning described in each description

uxvYbuB.png

Nothing advanced, no lasers, no post-stall maneuvering, no ECM. Just a pilot, one turbofan, one cannon, one radar, and a handful of rockets.

Staging key toggles Afterburner.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/92m7qww8au9imy0/TAL-12K%20%27Matador%27%20RED.craft?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2z03n5miv38fzfj/TAL-12K%20%27Matador%27%20BLUE.craft?dl=0

@inigma I have done some testing and I think the AIM 120 fins on my plane are getting stuck on the rear control surfaces at times. I lowered the missiles so this shouldn't happen. If you are still having glitching issues I can provide you with a link to Stealth Weasel v1.1 with this change, everything else about the plane is identical.

5 hours ago, The_Mad_Emu said:

capable at most at most altitudes

I've tested many of my fighters with the ramjet engines instead, and found that it doesn't really have an advantage over the afterburned Panther. It's even worse when dogfighting, since you lose a lot of energy in turns and end up slowing down a lot. It's only effective when cruising at high speeds, like IRL ramjets.

@Dman979 Okay, I put the Part-Clipper in a 1v1 with the Matador, and I immediately noticed there are some issues with how the engines are attatched. Instant asymmetric flameout, you might want to look at that. So I detached and reattached them with a cubic strut, and sent them on their way. As soon as combat starts, it turns very hard to point at the opponent, and again experiences asymmetric flameout, probably due to the high default altitude and a lack of air intakes. This only happens when it pulls high angles of attack, like +60°. It doesn't use HARMs against air targets, so you can probably drop those. It's rarely able to evade AIM-120s, it just can't turn hard enough. In my opinion, it needs more lifting surfaces or else it burns all its speed in the turns.

edit: This is of course, with the .craft on page 1, so you may have fixed some stuff already.

Edited by JollyGreenGI
addendum

Just now, JollyGreenGI said:

@Dman979 Okay, I put the Part-Clipper in a 1v1 with the Matador, and I immediately noticed there are some issues with how the engines are attatched. Instant asymmetric flameout, you might want to look at that. So I detached and reattached them with a cubic strut, and sent them on their way. As soon as combat starts, it turns very hard to point at the opponent, and again experiences asymmetric flameout, probably due to the high default altitude and a lack of air intakes. This only happens when it pulls high angles of attack, like +60°. It doesn't use HARMs against air targets, so you can probably drop those. It's rarely able to evade AIM-120s, it just can't turn hard enough. In my opinion, it needs more lifting surfaces or else it burns all its speed in the turns.

Yeah, the engines were a problem I'm having with it. I've tried attaching them different ways, and there are a few more i can try.
I'll have to fix that asymmetric flameout at altitude. Maybe limit the AOA it can pull.
I've dropped HARMs on my newer versions. Glad that it seems like the right idea.
It can turn pretty well with just guns loaded, so I think I'm going to reduce the loading on it a bit.
Thanks for the feedback!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.