[ASC-III] Air Superiority Challenge - King of the Hill (BDArmory 4v4 AI Duels: WW1 Theme) - Now Concluded!

10 minutes ago, Redshift OTF said:

Wow, thanks for the compliments Inigma! I'm sorry you've had trouble with the plane(s). I haven't seen it hit it's own missile before, although I have seen it rarely on some other planes I made. As for planes hitting each other during the take off phase, it's not something I have seen but then I park the planes just off the KSC runway and they have at least a planes width between them, maybe 2. If you have them next to each other on the Island Runway it may be a bit narrow as the AI doesn't separate the planes much during the setup phase of the automatic tourney mode. I guess it would be worse for bigger planes. Not sure how you can solve this. :/ Maybe @BahamutoD could tweak this a little in a future update.

Anyway, I am excited to see what final battle you have managed to record!

I've had one incident of a collision during takeoff, when I ran a 7v6 fight on my machine, and two allied planes placed close to each other took off, but tried to side over-and-under each other, and then collided when their airspeed wasn't high enough. Think I actually have a picture of that somewhere...

k4ST4Re.png

...yup, found it.

I guess I'm submitting a fighter. XF-4 CRAS, for Close Range Air Superiority

P7sppdZ.png

Doesn't have too much missiles tho, might add some more. 1 is to toggle guard mode and activate autopilot. It might stand its own for now, I'll modify it if needed.

Edited by NotAnAimbot

9 hours ago, inigma said:

Unconventional is just fine. Just has to fly.

Excellent, here's my entry: Zartron II. I'll admit, the craft I ended up with is not what I originally had in mind; what was a fairly conventional aircraft design at the start ended up turning into something completely different at the end.

*Sigh, I am getting used to 1.1 performance upgrade but this is so cool I'm going to go back to 1.0.5 just to shoot all of ya Kerbs down... :confused:

I need some time alone now...

ZLilE9c.png

Can't wait for BDA in 1.1....^_^

How do I get my stuff to dodge AMRAAMs? Apparently, they don't give a damn about 2 chaff pods, firing off every second, wielded by a franticly pitching, ducking and manoeuvring fighter.

Edited by Matuchkin

6 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

How do I get my stuff to dodge AMRAAMs? Apparently, they don't give a damn about 2 chaff pods, firing off every second, wielded by a franticly pitching, ducking and manoeuvring fighter.

ECM pod. almost as useless as chaff, but hey its better than nothing.

11 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

They're a little OP. I have about 20 chaff pods on my fighter, and the damned things still blow up.

3 hours ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

Excellent, here's my entry: Zartron II. I'll admit, the craft I ended up with is not what I originally had in mind; what was a fairly conventional aircraft design at the start ended up turning into something completely different at the end.

*opens up craft file to peek at*

VGd1255.png

STANDBY FOR TITANFALL. :P Seriously though, nice job getting that thing balanced the way it is- I'd be at a loss to.

Anyways, I've been examining the trade-offs of reworking some of my potential designs I might use if the Talons lose with my custom ejector seat+cockpit module, and I've gotten some nice results out of two of my older airframes-

98LZ3TE.png

pbhTrBm.png

I went ahead and armed the larger one (the Revenant NEXT) with BDA, and voila!

ngcjyBt.png

dOCY1An.png

19 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

I've noticed that chaff is only useful for breaking radar locks from stationary radars, unless you use excessive amounts (My fighter has 16 chaff pods, and only achieves a dodge rate of 50%!)

One way I've noticed that seems to work is to design your fighter to be very short vertically. I've noticed that Redshift's "Stealth Weasel" has a very low vertical cross section, and I believe that due to its consequentially tiny radar signature, it is able to dodge AMRAAMS very well. In the 20+ fights I ran against it, it was only hit by AMRAAMs twice, and this was only when it had four AMRAAMS at a time flying at it.

And of course, your fighter also needs to have decent enough maneuverability to be able to dodge the missiles too. 

Edited by drtricky

15 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

You've got 3 options-

1: Slap on/in an ECM module and hope for the best.

2: Make one jet target missiles (using HARMs/Sidewinders/laser module/etc.) and one target the hostiles.

3:Build a fighter that's wicked-fast and can pull stunts like no-one's business, and configure the AI to use that to out-fly the missiles (works sometimes, but not always due to AMRAAMs having good guidance systems).

Trust me, AIM-120s are the bane of my existence too.

@inigma Hey, I've updated my fighter again. This new iteration only has a few minor changes, most are for improving its radar-guided missile survivability. Its part count is now 112, one part up from 111.

Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz8ksGB7j0xmWHVyYmhVQ1llOTg/view?usp=sharing

Edited by drtricky

THis is getting popular fast. Didn't think it ever would heh. I might need to ask for a secondary match host volunteer. Need to be able to run KSP 1.0.5, and upload matches to YouTube or a Twitch stream channel.

I also need a nice forum badge for those who make ASC Champion. Any takers?

11 minutes ago, inigma said:

THis is getting popular fast. Didn't think it ever would heh. I might need to ask for a secondary match host volunteer. Need to be able to run KSP 1.0.5, and upload matches to YouTube or a Twitch stream channel.

I also need a nice forum badge for those who make ASC Champion. Any takers?

I could do up a badge for you if you like. I'll try doing it tomorrow. Any requirements or ideas for it?

Love this thread btw. Working on a plane to take everyone down. 

Happy Flying

YargJay9991

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.