[1.6.1] Reentry Particle Effect 1.4 (2019-02-12)

pizzaoverhead

1 hour ago, xNeil Armstrong said:

I've noticed in some of the examples above (like this image and the shuttle video) that the plasma trail in real life tends to thin out and fade as as it gets further from the craft, but in the mod it gets wider and brighter towards the end and then just kind of cuts off. Is there a specific reason for that, or would it be possible to change that?

That doesn't sound like it's doing what it should. Do you have a screenshot showing what you're seeing? This is what it looks like for me:

nDhN6Tm.png

The trail gets brighter some distance behind the craft before gradually fading away, which to me looks similar to a meteor flare:

meteor1.jpg

That's not something I can modify for this effect due to the limitations of the current Unity version

10 hours ago, pizzaoverhead said:

...there will be huge opportunities for impressive particle effects that can blend into each other and change smoothly, such as atmospheric expansion of engine trails.

We already have a version of this with RealPlume, how would the new Unity system change it?

• 2 weeks later...

so I forgot I installed this mod and just did a relatively routine reentry (albeit from high orbit) - surprise! Took me a while to figure out what the hell was following my pod. I also saw it on the way up, which really confused me.

I agree things as they are are probably realistic, but the plasma trails on the way up could probably be toned down a tad, but that's been mentioned already.

Overall, good stuff.

:)

EDIT:

One thing I'll add is that when you decouple boosters, the particle effect seems to follow them all the way down, as long as the main rocket is generating the effect still. That seems a bug.

Edited by Deimos Rast

On Monday, July 25, 2016 at 3:25 AM, Deimos Rast said:

EDIT:

One thing I'll add is that when you decouple boosters, the particle effect seems to follow them all the way down, as long as the main rocket is generating the effect still. That seems a bug.

Yeah I noticed that as well, I dont think its a bug so much as a performance thing. Synchronizing all of the reentry trails should in theory result in less work to be done vs a whole bunch of trails doing their own things. Its why I could get away with doing a re-entry with something like 30 someodd trails following me down and not have an appreciable performance loss.

@CyriousI get what you're saying, and that actually makes a lot of sense. Just so we're on the same page, this is a picture of what I meant. Note the two boosters on the far left (at the end of the plasma trails - might have to zoom in to see them).

The angle of the plasma trail seems in line with the flames from the nose of the rocket - that seems all well and good. (I'm not sure if the two trails are connected to the larger one or if it's just the angle of the picture.)

TXI8lPf.png

Edited by Deimos Rast

13 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

This is brilliant! Am I right, based on the thread title, that it's backward compatible with 1.0.5, too?

Absolutely, I am still running under that version and the mod is perfectly compatible.

GeSYBxf.png

You can see the old small landing gears here.

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Yup, your 1.0 works great in 1.0.5. :D What about v 1.1 with the slightly scaled back effects?

Which scaled back effects ? Sorry to sound ignorant but I still haven't find the will to switch to 1.1.X and restart everything.

Just now, CatastrophicFailure said:

Ahhh, now I feel much more dumber... at first I was thinking about some aerodynamics changes in the KSP 1.1.x family still unknown to me.

No problems with the 1.1 under 1.0.5, in facts I just made one flight under 1.0 before installing the upload. As most of my re-entries are around 2200 m/s at 45 km the effects always activated. It also happen during some fast ascents as it has been reported before... 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I had a strange bug, I made a reentry with a station and the trail followed even after the part was destroyed, I switched vessel and the trails stayed even after I crashed in the surface at 200m/s and they were not lined up at all with the prograde vector (1.2 release)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cvw7xsjt3ildjzi/screenshot12.png?dl=0 after crash

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4obmfb9uqrm3760/screenshot11.png?dl=0 during descent 

sry for bad english

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.