[REQUEST] Mk1 Cargo bay?

legoclone09

Hey guys! I love making Mk1 SSTOs, but I can never do anything with them because I don't have a cargo bay. Would it be possible for somebody to make a cargo bay similar to the one in Ven's Stock Revamp but with Porkjet's textures? If you can, thanks very much!

I've been asking for this for at least a year.  I've had some that came close, but the textures weren't a great match.  I wish I knew how to do modeling, I'm just not good at artsy stuff.

Edited by Alshain

18 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Sounds like a good idea! I'll see if I can run it by some mod makers like @lo-fi@Shadowmage@RoverDude@sarbian@NathanKell@TriggerAu, @bac9, and whatever other mod makers are out there.

Don't tag everyone in creation like that.  If people want to make a mod they can come here and find the thread themselves.  That's incredibly rude IMO, at the very least it's an internet faux pas.

Edited by Alshain

29 minutes ago, Alshain said:

Don't tag everyone in creation like that.  If people want to make a mod they can come here and find the thread themselves.  That's incredibly rude IMO, at the very least it's an internet faux pas.

Sorry. I was unaware of that. Thank you for the heads up.

Before I say anything else, I'd like to make it clear that I don't mean to sound rude or dismissive...

Guys and girls: the tools are free, the knowledge of how to use them is easily accessible, and those of us who already have it are more than happy to help when you get stuck. Go create!

I couldn't write more than a few lines of C and I'd never even looked behind the scenes at a game engine when I started modding. It took a few weeks of perseverance and a little frustration, but I got there. I didn't even start out wanting to make a KSP mod; I just wanted to make some wheels that liked. I found that a lot of other people liked them too, and slowly but surely Kerbal Foundries happened. It still amazes me how popular it's become. 

Get going :) I won't pretend it's easy, but the barrier to entry is low and the penalty for messing it up is zero. Make something you like and you'll probably find a lot of other people like it too, which is hugely rewarding. 

1 hour ago, lo-fi said:

Before I say anything else, I'd like to make it clear that I don't mean to sound rude or dismissive...

Guys and girls: the tools are free, the knowledge of how to use them is easily accessible, and those of us who already have it are more than happy to help when you get stuck. Go create!

I couldn't write more than a few lines of C and I'd never even looked behind the scenes at a game engine when I started modding. It took a few weeks of perseverance and a little frustration, but I got there. I didn't even start out wanting to make a KSP mod; I just wanted to make some wheels that liked. I found that a lot of other people liked them too, and slowly but surely Kerbal Foundries happened. It still amazes me how popular it's become. 

Get going :) I won't pretend it's easy, but the barrier to entry is low and the penalty for messing it up is zero. Make something you like and you'll probably find a lot of other people like it too, which is hugely rewarding. 

Yeah, I've made a small mod before and it's been received nicely. I've got Blender and looked at lots of the tutorials, but I can't figue put animations or anything beyong the actual model itself.

38 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

I've got Blender and looked at lots of the tutorials, but I can't figue put animations or anything beyong the actual model itself.

Open/close cargo bay animation is pretty simple in Blender. I'm sure you can get it figured out in an evening.

9 hours ago, passinglurker said:

what good could a mk1 cargo bay even do? I mean we are talking about something subject to occlusion bugs with the interior space of a structural fuselage it's a krakening waiting to happen. inline combo parts sound much more practical.

It's for small science.  Occlusion isn't an issue with cargo bay doors, they phase right through stuff.  Structural fuselage works for batteries ok, but if you have to access what is in them, it no longer works, unless you want to do the weird camera clipping thing.

Edited by Alshain

@Alshain and why not just an inline pancake goo-pod? streamlined minimal drag nubs for thermometers and barometers? plugins and new stock features that let you access parts you can not see in structural fuselages? science suites that incorporate multiple experiments into the same part? there are ways to complete that sort of mission without opening the kraken bay can of worms

Just now, passinglurker said:

and why not just an inline pancake goo-pod?

A what?

1 minute ago, passinglurker said:

streamlined minimal drag nubs for thermometers and barometers?

A what?

2 minutes ago, passinglurker said:

plugins and new stock features that let you access parts you can not see in structural fuselages?

Ok, but that isn't what we want or need.

2 minutes ago, passinglurker said:

there are ways to complete that sort of mission without opening the kraken bay can of worms

Yes, one of those ways is a cargo bay.  You do realize there are cargo bays in the game right now that do not summon the kraken right.  They are in the utility section, you should try them out, they are pretty cool.  All we want is one that looks good with the Mk1 series.

2 minutes ago, Alshain said:

A what?

a mk1 part that is wider than it is tall that functions as a goo pod experiment

3 minutes ago, Alshain said:

A what?

F8qdQUh.png

6 minutes ago, Alshain said:

Ok, but that isn't what we want or need.

yes it is you said small science. this lets you do small science without anything on the outside

9 minutes ago, Alshain said:

Yes, one of those ways is a cargo bay.  You do realize there are cargo bays in the game right now that do not summon the kraken right.  They are in the utility section, you should try them out, they are pretty cool.  All we want is one that looks good with the Mk1 series

yes they are cool because they have enough space to comfortably fit something non-aerodynamic inside them. The margin between the wall of a mk1 bay and a 0.625m part is a lot tighter you'd have to build the payload so sleek it can ride on the nose of a rocket instead. Of course despite that some one will still try, inevitably clip something and summon the kraken

38 minutes ago, passinglurker said:

a mk1 part that is wider than it is tall that functions as a goo pod experiment

F8qdQUh.png

yes it is you said small science. this lets you do small science without anything on the outside

The OP's request is for a cargo bay, not more science.

38 minutes ago, passinglurker said:

yes they are cool because they have enough space to comfortably fit something non-aerodynamic inside them. The margin between the wall of a mk1 bay and a 0.625m part is a lot tighter you'd have to build the payload so sleek it can ride on the nose of a rocket instead. Of course despite that some one will still try, inevitably clip something and summon the kraken

You can clip things in cargo bays now, it doesn't cause an issue.  Why would you think that adding a new cargo bay would change that?  Radial science parts are not 0.625m either, they are often smaller.  You are making up problems that do not exist.  Furthermore, you are making them up about a mod request.  If you don't like it, you have no reason to be here.  Nobody is asking for your opinion, the OP wants a cargo bay, I would like one as well, you have no right to tell us what we want.

Edited by Alshain

5 minutes ago, Alshain said:

You can clip things in cargo bays now, it doesn't cause an issue.  Why would you think that adding a new cargo bay would change that?  You are making up problems that do not exist.  Furthermore, you are making them up about a mod request.  If you don't like it, you have no reason to be here.

if its for a detachable payload then when you clip bad things will happen when you detach if this isn't for a detachable payload then there are multiple alternate solutions I'd actually be willing to work towards in my own mod if I knew what the OP actually wanted to get out of haveing a mk1 cargo bay

Edited by passinglurker

1 minute ago, passinglurker said:

if its for a detachable payload then when you clip bad things will happen when you detach if this isn't for a detachable payload then there are multiple alternate solutions I'd actually be willing to work towards in my own mod if I knew what the OP actually wanted to get out of haveing a mk1 cargo bay

Not all cargo needs to be detachable.  Why are you assuming that?  A cargo bay is for placing items that are not aerodynamic or hiding things that you need access to later.  Goo containers are not aerodyanmic and they do affect aerodynamics. Having thermometers and barometers hanging off your craft stick out like a sore thumb and can be irritating for those of us who like to build good looking planes.  None of that needs to be detachable.

1 minute ago, Alshain said:

Not all cargo needs to be detachable.  Why are you assuming that?

its the one thing a cargo bay can do that a well designed inline part can't

2 minutes ago, Alshain said:

A cargo bay is for placing items that are not aerodynamic or hiding things that you need access to later.

and whats stopping us from just making all the parts aerodynamic?

Goo containers are not aerodyanmic and they do affect aerodynamics.

they can be made to be aerodynamic

Having thermometers and barometers hanging off your craft stick out like a sore thumb and can be irritating for those of us who like to build good looking planes.

they can be made to look good or otherwise be inconspicuous 

4 minutes ago, Alshain said:

None of that needs to be detachable.

and with the right parts none of that needs to be stuffed in a cargo bay to allow the players to fulfill thier missions

6 minutes ago, passinglurker said:

its the one thing a cargo bay can do that a well designed inline part can't

and whats stopping us from just making all the parts aerodynamic?

they can be made to be aerodynamic

they can be made to look good or otherwise be inconspicuous 

and with the right parts none of that needs to be stuffed in a cargo bay to allow the players to fulfill thier missions

Are you going to remake every small part from stock and every mod that exists?  Sure you can do that, but it seems to me that a cargo bay would be a lot easier.

Are you going to remake every small part from stock and every mod that exists?  Sure you can do that, but it seems to me that a cargo bay would be a lot easier.

I don't need to do every part just enough that you can complete the tech tree and visit every planet in a reasonable fashion. Make a solid base of a game like stock should have done in the first place I'll worry about what other mods do after that is squared away.

7 minutes ago, passinglurker said:

I don't need to do every part just enough that you can complete the tech tree and visit every planet in a reasonable fashion. Make a solid base of a game like stock should have done in the first place I'll worry about what other mods do after that is squared away.

Then you will have failed at fulfilling this request.  Which brings us back to wanting a Mk1 Cargo bay.  I encourage you to go ahead with that idea as people will want it, but it is not what is being requested here.

Edited by Alshain

1 minute ago, Alshain said:

Then you will have failed at fulfilling this request.  Which brings us back to wanting a Mk1 Cargo bay.

and WHY does he want a mk1 cargo bay? if it's to deliver payloads then it's a waste of any modders time which is why this oft requested part has yet to be made. If its to carry resources and instruments then a well designed set of parts could mitigate his need. If it's to hide a writhing ball of clipped together mod parts for optimal dv then I'd recommend the OP just cut out the build time and turn on infinite fuel.

Just now, passinglurker said:

and WHY does he want a mk1 cargo bay? if it's to deliver payloads then it's a waste of any modders time which is why this oft requested part has yet to be made. If its to carry resources and instruments then a well designed set of parts could mitigate his need. If it's to hide a writhing ball of clipped together mod parts for optimal dv then I'd recommend the OP just cut out the build time and turn on infinite fuel.

Because you can't re-design everything out there.  Are you going to make a new part to replace the KER parts?  What about the MechJeb parts?  What about the all the other little parts out there from various mods?

Your argument is basically "I don't play the game like that, so you shouldn't either".  Which is completely faulty.  We want a cargo bay because it is infinitely more versatile than remaking every small part in existence.  If you are not interested in having the cargo bay and are not interested in making the cargo bay, you have no business in this thread.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.