So... How many Kerbonauts can remember the Apollo missions?

Bombaatu

6 minutes ago, UnusualAttitude said:

Born in 1980, so I missed the best bits of manned spaceflight. My earliest memories of international events are rather more depressing: Challenger and Chernobyl...

Re: Challenger - my 10th-grade Biology teacher Pamela Grayson was one of the "Teachers In Space" candidates:

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2016/01/this_alabamian_almost_rode_the.html

-23 at the time of apollo 11. Yet it seems like only yesterday :wink:

But in all seriousness, I wasn't even close to being there. Although sometimes I'll watch recordings of the landing on youtube and I'll get all excited like I'm watching it live, only to remember its a recording and its the 10th time I've watched it lol.

Just now, MaxwellsDemon said:

We must be about the same age.  My parents told me that they woke me up to see it and that I sat on the couch and pointed at the TV and said "Mam in Moom!"

I recall the later Apollo missions-- most likely Apollo 17, and of course ASTP (I remember distinctly thinking that the Saturn Ib looked weird on Pad 39A with the "stool" platform under it), and I remember being upset that I'd have to wait four whole years till 1979 when they were planning to fly the Shuttle.   (Which of course turned into six more years...)

Yeah, my memories of my early childhood aren't all that clear. (Unfortunately it appears that memory is going to become an issue as I get older. But that's another show.)  But my mom says I sat on her lap and watched the whole thing. My parents weren't into science or space at all, I don't think they even watched the rest of the moon landings after the first. 

I remember really wanting to go up and watch the shuttle land when they were landing them at Edwards, it was only about an hour away from my house. But they were always landing on school days, or days my parents had to work, never got to it. We used to go launch model rockets off of that same dry lake bed back when we were in grade school. 

10 minutes ago, Bombaatu said:

Re: Challenger - my 10th-grade Biology teacher Pamela Grayson was one of the "Teachers In Space" candidates:

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2016/01/this_alabamian_almost_rode_the.html

Ha, my high school math teacher (small school, I had her for geometry, algebra II, and two years of calculus) was also a finalist for the Teacher in Space program. 

18 minutes ago, monstah said:

The Columbia accident? The Curiosity landing? Those were within your lifetime, tho the Columbia one was a bit early. I was really shocked at that one. More recently, the antics of Rosetta and Philae, and the first Falcon 9 landings... o, boy!

I have only been keeping up with space exploration for a couple of years. Colombia was too long ago for me to remember anyway, and Curiosity has been on Mars for longer than I've been keeping up specifically with its activities. I do remember Rosetta and Philae (I simply overlooked those when making that post) and I mentioned the Falcon 9. But in any case, there's been nothing quite so groundbraking and inspiring as the Apollo landings since the Apollo landings. The last couple of years seem to be the beginning of the next big thing, since we now have data from all of the major celestial bodies in the solar system, we're starting to develop much cheaper launch systems and new technology for habitation in space, and there's infrastructure being developed for Mars exploration.

I remember all the Apollo flights.  I was eleven when Apollo 11 landed.  Reading about the upcoming Apollo 7 launch in school is what got me hooked on space.  I'm a little too young to remember much about Gemini, though I do remember watching one of the launches on TV.  My earliest space memory was hearing my father talk about Ed White's walk in space (1965).

Edited by OhioBob

16 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

Yeah, my memories of my early childhood aren't all that clear. (Unfortunately it appears that memory is going to become an issue as I get older. But that's another show.)  But my mom says I sat on her lap and watched the whole thing. My parents weren't into science or space at all, I don't think they even watched the rest of the moon landings after the first.

I really doubt I understood what was going on for Apollo 11-- almost certainly "Mam in Moom!" was me parroting words other people were saying.  But it's still a great story, even if I have to get it secondhand.

Fortunately, my mom was (is) quite science-minded, and encouraged me to keep looking into it.  :)

I was born in 57. Sputnik launched a week after I was born. I remember most of the space race as I had a high interest when I was very young and parents that encouraged my interest. It was almost like magic to see it all happen. Thats probably why I have such a high interest in KSP and everything else space and flying related. And oh ya.....Tang..............because ................ :)

I was -10, but the echoes of Apollo were still ringing in public consciousness... my first 5-6 years were full of a sense that Mars was just around the corner, and shiny pictures from Voyager as it passed Neptune :)

Then reality happened, nobody bothered to go interplanetary, and eventually the shine wore off and the whole world became more concerned with keepign their tax bills down than expanding humanity's horizons :huh:  

And I don't get why... YES, building space ships and telescopes and probes costs money - but the money doesn't leave Earth! The materials cost of the things we launch isn't actually that big. The real cost is the labour, and that money stays on the ground and gets spent at all the nearby stores, pubs and clubs. How is that worse than paying 3 guys to plant one tree? :( 

1 minute ago, eddiew said:

I was -10, but the echoes of Apollo were still ringing in public consciousness... my first 5-6 years were full of a sense that Mars was just around the corner, and shiny pictures from Voyager as it passed Neptune :)

Then reality happened, nobody bothered to go interplanetary, and eventually the shine wore off and the whole world became more concerned with keepign their tax bills down than expanding humanity's horizons :huh:  

And I don't get why... YES, building space ships and telescopes and probes costs money - but the money doesn't leave Earth! The materials cost of the things we launch isn't actually that big. The real cost is the labour, and that money stays on the ground and gets spent at all the nearby stores, pubs and clubs. How is that worse than paying 3 guys to plant one tree? :( 

One word: Politics. Aaaannnddd, that's probably all I'm allowed to say without getting in trouble on this board. :sealed: 

I was five, and I can remember sitting on my dad's shoulders as we watched the stacking of AS-501. He was one of the engineers on the Instrument Unit, so I got to see a lot of operational space hardware close up.

11 hours ago, Deddly said:

I bet @kiwi1960 remembers that.

(Oh, and since it's not about the game, moved from General KSP Discussion to the Lounge)

Yes, as I discussed in my birthday thread... :)

Every generation has its "focal point of history!"

For me, and some others, it was the Moon landing... before us, it was the dropping of the first atomic bomb... after us.... the Challenger explosion....

But then again, some of us are lucky to have been around in multiple events..... Moon landings, JFK being shot.... the Vietnam war.... etc etc...

My point is... yes, some of you young ones missed out being here during some events, but other events that you were alive in have helped shape you, in your life, and helped shape the world,. and if I died tomorrow... then you get to witness things next week that I never will.... the Moon landings were good... but that wasn't the only major happening on the planet, it wasn't the first and it wont be the last. Some of you will witness man landing on Mars.... I don't think I will... sadly.

Edited by kiwi1960

I nearly forgot....while the Moon landings was a major event for most of us... on a local scale... it doesn't compare to the day I was caught in a major earthquake here in New Zealand.... a year before the landings....

The 1968 Inangahua earthquake occurred 25 kilometres (16 mi) west of Murchison, New Zealand, near the small town of Inangahua Junction. It struck at 5:24 am NZDT on 24 May 1968 with a depth of only 12 kilometres (7.5 mi), being extremely shallow for an earthquake of its size.

" The earthquake had a moment magnitude of 7.1 "

I WAS RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THAT.... :(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_Inangahua_earthquake

I think the first major space thing I saw on TV (that I paid attention to) was the Shuttle's last flight, I was alive when Columbia happened, but I don't think I saw it. I only really started getting into space around last year when I came back to KSP.

I hope we get to Mars

Well, Elon did just say earlier today the MCT could go well beyond Mars.

Edited by legoclone09

I remember it just barely. I was 4. But my mom was a space nut, and we had family over, and she made such a big deal about all launches and flights that the repetition sunk in for me. The only other contemporary history I remember from that era was that there were always helicopters (Hueys) on the news (Viet Nam).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.