"There's no easy way to say this."

Superfluous J

1 minute ago, Papa_Joe said:

Every good lie, has some element of truth to it... otherwise it would be too easy to expose... but the question is... how much   So, I will let it drop.

In an atmosphere as assuming and biased as has been seen here, you need no bigger element of truth than "some devs are leaving, apparently at the same time". That's more than enough to spin a narrative.

2 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

That one is totally false.  Which kinda shows that the OP is talking nonsense, and just looking to stir the pot (and waste my time in the process).

Like I said some time ago, your word on that Reddit topic was quite a relief for me. Your word here is even more.

10 minutes ago, regex said:

Sure, and that thread is in no way inflammatory or objectionable to Squad or their bottom line.

vOv I've heard of and seen posts being deleted here before, usually because they're inflammatory in some way. People idiotically take that as evidence of "censorship" all the time.

I don't understand if you agree or disagree with me xD

Although, to be fair, I only know that I don't know very much. Which is kinda frustrating when it's about something you care about, be it a 'comercial product' or not (although I'm sure the devs see alot more in KSP than that).

Edited by Temeter

10 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

That one is totally false.  Which kinda shows that the OP is talking nonsense, and just looking to stir the pot (and waste my time in the process).

Obviously, this was NOT a very good lie....

Where is my KSP 'Tin Foil Hat" part mod?  Clearly if the departing Devs had any sense of humour or sense of place they would have released such a part mod independently at the same time as their joint announcement.  Especially considering how they must already know how the community would react.

My Kerbals need to wear this hat while this thread strives toward "peak anti-hype".  How exciting.

So endith the humorous interlude portion of this thread.

Edited by Wallygator

14 minutes ago, Temeter said:

I don't understand if you agree or disagree with me xD

I don't agree or disagree. What I'm saying is that experiences vary and that eight devs have left. Some of them were contractors and may have been operating under contracts that are vastly different than other contracts. In regards to the Reddit OP, that could be any number of people but was likely made just to stir up drama; they seem very bitter. But given what has been officially said and what has happened, there might be some grains of truth there.

14 minutes ago, Temeter said:

Although, to be fair, I only know that I don't know very much. Which is kinda frustrating when it's about something you care about, be it a 'comercial product' or not (although I'm sure the devs see alot more in KSP than that).

vOv It's a game that has been in development for over five years, at some point it had to wind down.

Just now, regex said:

vOv It's a game that has been in development for over five years, at some point it had to wind down.

Yup, and I've said before: While the game was feature complete before, 1.2 just feels incredibly polished in comparision to any other KSP version. Even makes sense to slow down development by stopping the external contracting first.

I'm still sad we might never get porkies masterpieces :'(

19 hours ago, Norcalplanner said:

Actions will speak louder than words in the long run. Let's wait and see what happens. For all we know the folks who are leaving were headhunted away by another studio, or have decided to form their own game company.

I'll also note that Rover Dude and Nightingale aren't on the list, so there's still some high quality talent staying.

But vague talk of "The Future" speaks even louder than both of those combined. As for what it says, that's open to interpretation.

17 hours ago, HoloYolo said:

Why is SQUAD basically tossing KSP out the window? Expansion packs? Now members leaving? Decisions at SQUAD HQ may spell the end.

This is actually alarming. It begs the question, did the developers leave in protest of a management decision?

5 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

You should probably work on being better informed then.  There has already been an official announcement talking about future development of KSP.  In no way has development stopped.  Sheesh.

The ability for the internet Chicken Little "the sky is falling" attitude to prevail still amazes me.  I know it shouldn't at this point but it does.

It would be one thing if the announcement wasn't so vague and full of word spaghetti, but it's just gotten more open to interpretation over time.

4 hours ago, Kobymaru said:

I wouldn't either. This is a SQUAD-Managed forum, on SQUAD-Managed Servers with SQUAD-Paid moderators.

Reddit is not exactly an NGO, but they are at least removed from SQUAD and should be impartial to the topic. They would not delete funky posts, so a free discussion is guaranteed.

Well, I have complete faith in the mod team (With a single, unnamed exception) but I have limited knowledge on how the forum works under the hood, is it possible that Squad has a behind the scenes moderator who will remove certain posts? I don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist or something, but is it possible?

4 minutes ago, klesh said:

8 people don't jump ship simultaneously because their experience on the ship is so awesome.

But the question remains, are they jumping ship or getting kicked off of it?

4 minutes ago, Andem said:

This is actually alarming. It begs the question, did the developers leave in protest of a management decision?

Maybe they used the developer's work for the DLC instead of putting it in the game? Or maybe they weren't paid enough for their work? Or is SQUAD just doing something all 8 of them dislike?

2 minutes ago, Andem said:

But the question remains, are they jumping ship or getting kicked off of it?

Well, the original post says 'decided to part ways from Squad', but I might be reading to much into it.

It wouldn't be the most surprising thing if they just got rid of external contractors after having the game finished and polished (which is basically 1.2), before they go into the next, winding down support phase.

I have played KSP since 0.24. I have experienced the development of the game as the career mode has been fleshed out, as the old placeholder atmosphere was replaced by something more realistic, and then tweaked to balance realism with gameplay fun. I have seen the performance issues of the old game radically improved, and a whole bunch more improvements I've forgotten about.

To my mind, with 1.2 (so far as I've seen in the preview), I think it's perfectly reasonable to draw a line under it and say it has achieved everything it needs to do, and is entirely adequate to stand as it is as a finished project. In this context, I think it's to be expected that the people whose vision and creativity went into achieving this decide that their job is done, and it's time to move on with their careers. There's no need to invoke conspiracy theories or assume ill will.

Spoiler

Ok, so here we go. Many of you know that I was once, alongside James Kupperian, (capt skunky) the Community Manager for KSP. I've been quiet and kept my mouth shut for YEARS now. However, with so much of the team leaving and so much censorship from Squad, and a great deal of lies, I'm done holding it in.

Now, to RoverDude, Enough is enough. We get it, you're paid, you're treated well, nothing's happened to you. Yes, the last OP made a statement that was talking about your mods being paid content. You say that's false. For how long? You say it proves a lack of validity to his post. Oh does it now? How about him stating it was "Rumor" RD?

We get it man, you do good work, and you like Squad. But if you're going to sit there and say that Kasper Leaving, Felipe Leaving, everything PD said, and Eight Dev team members (some of whom have been there FAR longer than you) walked out AND it's being censored, is all nonsense? Seriously? Can you look anymore paid off?

"Oh, these 8 people walked out, but everything is ok and they're all just mad" Really? That's how you want to put this off? EIGHT team members just staged a walk out, and it is being actively covered up and lied about by Squad. That is a FACT.

Now, let me say this extra bit here about you RD. I respect you, I do. You do great work. You really do. But enough is enough.

I, unlike others, am not going to hide behind a false account. I'm here. I've got proof. I've been there and done that. I gave my time to the team and yes, I did enjoy working on KSP, but there is a LOT of truth to what is being said and I am tired of being to scared of my career to say it.

There is a serious problem at Squad. There is and always has been. Now, feel free to attack me, feel free to poke fun, make your statements, etc I don't care. Enough is enough.

If you can't see a problem, if you can't see the cover up and the lies, then I don't know how to get through to you. I just don't.

-Damion Rayne Former KSP Community Manager

here's the post from Reddit if it gets taken down.

Just now, HoloYolo said:

Oh man if that's true then SQUAD has a lot of explaining to do.

That's past drama, dead and gone. No one knows why those eight devs left and whether they "staged a walk-off" or their contracts simply ended at 1.2 release.

Just now, regex said:

That's past drama, dead and gone. No one knows why those eight devs left and whether they "staged a walk-off" or their contracts simply ended at 1.2 release.

According to the post he no longer works for SQUAD. It seems weird that he'd claim that stuff.

2 minutes ago, regex said:

This clearly happened before I joined the forums. Can we get a short version, for those of us not in the loop?

Just now, HoloYolo said:

According to the post he no longer works for SQUAD. It seems weird that he'd claim that stuff.

That guy worked for Squad a long time ago, before I was on the forum (you may remember him though). What I'm saying is that his post is probably entirely conjecture and par for the course, for him at least.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.