"There's no easy way to say this."

Superfluous J

4 minutes ago, HoloYolo said:

Oh man if that's true then SQUAD has a lot of explaining to do.

Not really. It's years since that guy left, probably on bad terms. Don't think he knows what happened recently.

Just now, regex said:

What I'm saying is that experiences vary and that eight devs have left.

Have they really?

For all I know, NathanKell was posting while drunk. Not that I really believe this, but it's no worse an explanation than anything else I've been reading these past few hours.

I don't know much about Mexico's legal stuff, but workers have right, don't they?

If you're working for Squad from a "first world" country and feel like you're getting scammed, do something about it, don't just keep it to yourself and launch sh*tstorms after you leave, that will anyway only be read by people that already bought the game.
If it's that bad, just go see a union and engage legal stuff. Don't make a rant on the internet, way to lose all credibility.

Edit: if the company enforces NDAs on you, you can enforce some protection on them, contracts are a thing.

Edited by Gaarst

@NathanKell So were you drunk writing that post? :^)

Spoiler

jk, we <3 u and what you've done with the game :wink: 

1 minute ago, Laie said:

Have they really?

For all I know, NathanKell was posting while drunk. Not that I really believe this, but it's no worse an explanation than anything else I've been reading these past few hours.

Edited by Temeter

1 minute ago, Laie said:

@NathanKell doesn't drunk post. Not like me, at least. I know this from several years of interaction.

13 hours ago, klesh said:

8 people don't jump ship simultaneously because their experience on the ship is so awesome.

Unless it was a jumpship. 

Edited by Wallygator
Because I rate this as my greatest post of all time

Just now, Alshain said:

That will be about 2 years if it's a standard NDA.

Yeah, good point. However this :https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/55zzmg/information_about_recent_events_at_squad/ and things like it might clear somethings up. 

(I am not sure if that is legit or not but by the moderators comment it seems to be)

Alright, we can safely say that Mr. Rayne isn't a fair source.

He said this:

Since I've been asked, no, I will not be speaking at length about this, nor will I give any official statements outside the following,

I enjoyed my time with KSP and squad, and they gave me a chance to enter the games industry. I'm a disabled US Navy Veteran that never expected to be living the dream working on video games for a living, and Squad gave me that and I thank them for it.

All studios have crunch time, and issues, and bad decisions and good decisions made, does that make any of it right? No, far from it in fact. The crunch time in particular is always a bad decision, it causes mistakes, and even health problems and Squad are guilty of demanding 12+ hour work days out of all of us. That much is true.

I'll leave it to the community that I still love to make their own decisions on this.

-Anthony "Damion Rayne" Keeton Former Community Manager - Kerbal Space Program

5 months ago, and this:

Ok, so here we go. Many of you know that I was once, alongside James Kupperian, (capt skunky) the Community Manager for KSP. I've been quiet and kept my mouth shut for YEARS now. However, with so much of the team leaving and so much censorship from Squad, and a great deal of lies, I'm done holding it in.

Now, to RoverDude, Enough is enough. We get it, you're paid, you're treated well, nothing's happened to you. Yes, the last OP made a statement that was talking about your mods being paid content. You say that's false. For how long? You say it proves a lack of validity to his post. Oh does it now? How about him stating it was "Rumor" RD?

We get it man, you do good work, and you like Squad. But if you're going to sit there and say that Kasper Leaving, Felipe Leaving, everything PD said, and Eight Dev team members (some of whom have been there FAR longer than you) walked out AND it's being censored, is all nonsense? Seriously? Can you look anymore paid off?

"Oh, these 8 people walked out, but everything is ok and they're all just mad" Really? That's how you want to put this off? EIGHT team members just staged a walk out, and it is being actively covered up and lied about by Squad. That is a FACT.

Now, let me say this extra bit here about you RD. I respect you, I do. You do great work. You really do. But enough is enough.

I, unlike others, am not going to hide behind a false account. I'm here. I've got proof. I've been there and done that. I gave my time to the team and yes, I did enjoy working on KSP, but there is a LOT of truth to what is being said and I am tired of being to scared of my career to say it.

There is a serious problem at Squad. There is and always has been. Now, feel free to attack me, feel free to poke fun, make your statements, etc I don't care. Enough is enough.

If you can't see a problem, if you can't see the cover up and the lies, then I don't know how to get through to you. I just don't.

-Damion Rayne Former KSP Community Manage

Today. If he can't keep his own experience with Squad straight after a standard NDA would have expired, then he isn't a credible source on the subject.

Edited by Andem

8 minutes ago, regex said:

No one knows why those eight devs left and whether they "staged a walk-off" or their contracts simply ended at 1.2 release.

The wording of Nathan Kell's reddit post suggests to me that their work was done with the delivery of v1.2, their contracts ended. I think if they had been rudely dismissed, the wording would have had fewer pleasantries.

Just to interject.

Squad and the Dev that left could both have good reason to do what they did. (whatever they did...) A liquidity issue on the company side translate into a salary/overtime for employees. Companies sometimes have top do hard choice, artist sometimes are pushed too far and leave. The gaming industry is like this. People working in this field know this and know how to deal with it, and a common way to deal with it is to leave. Its part of the game.

Now, its usually of bad taste to liquid on your previous employer, even if everything said is true, it still bad. If you end-up that mad at your previous employer, it just mean you should have left earlier and that's it. it still on you.

Squad will recover from this if they have the money to hire new staff, if they don't then it mean they could not have fixed overtime/underpaid issues that artist had. If their solution is to sell DLC I am all for it. I spent +1000 hours on this game, I will gladly spend more money on KSP, if the said DLV add something worth it of course.

On that I say thanks to you guys, hope you find a brighter sky somewhere, and I hope it does not become gray too quick!

Edited: I changed "spent +1000 on this game" to  "spent +1000 hours on this game" I don't know how I possibly missed this. It kinda change everything isn't it?

Edited by RedParadize

22 minutes ago, worir4 said:

Yeah, good point. However this :https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/55zzmg/information_about_recent_events_at_squad/ and things like it might clear somethings up. 

(I am not sure if that is legit or not but by the moderators comment it seems to be)

–]RoverDude_KSPUSI Dev / Cat Herder 163 points 2 hours ago 

Nonsense. That is all, since any additional commentary would be in NDA land, and I actually enjoy working with Squad :P Beware the trolls.

Seems to be not true according to roverdude.

My theory is they were expecting to continue working after the 1.2 release and , when told they wouldn't, made a collective walkout. The timing seems right.

That said, I'm more worried about the mods being abandoned that about the main game. Paid DLC and expansion packs are the only way of keeping KSP financially alive, and that can be done over 1.2 

But I'm not sure how the 8 devs leaving will handle their modding work; will have to wait and see.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.