Paid expansions and previous statements RE paid expansions

dlrk

Is Squad going to abide by their previous statement that "we are including Expansions in what you can expect to get for free if you have already bought the game. Also, for those considering purchasing the game, we will maintain this promise for all purchases made until the end of this month (April, 2013)."?

7 minutes ago, dlrk said:

Is Squad going to abide by their previous statement that "we are including Expansions in what you can expect to get for free if you have already bought the game. Also, for those considering purchasing the game, we will maintain this promise for all purchases made until the end of this month (April, 2013)."?

Probably not. They'll milk this cash cow for as much as they can. The good news is that they'll have to solve the DRM problem for expansions first, although they might come tied to bugfixes.

8 minutes ago, DerekL1963 said:

Since nobody has mentioned paid DLC - I fail to see how this is a reasonable question.

https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/55vz1l/kerbal_space_program_12_loud_clear_release_date/

This includes more free updates, full expansion packs with an incredible amount of new content and much more

Just now, klgraham1013 said:

I'm fine paying people for doing work.

I won't have to pay as I bought it before the stated date. Hang on.. didn't they say no paid for DLC ever for anyone? I am a sucker for KSP so will likely pay for it if they charge but some people will be mighty unhappy about it.

Edited by Majorjim!

20 minutes ago, dlrk said:

No. They already created an expansion and sold it together with the full version of KSP, calling it the KerbalEDU edition. Despite previous promises, this extra content is not provided for no charge. Due to some semantic weaseling, calling it a different version rather than extra content for KSP, they do not feel obliged to provide the content promised to explicitly. There is no reason that could not happen again.

Edited by Camacha

8 minutes ago, regex said:

Probably not. They'll milk this cash cow for as much as they can. The good news is that they'll have to solve the DRM problem for expansions first, although they might come tied to bugfixes.

Im seriously hoping they dont add DRM in future versions.  Doesnt stop pirates, and just annoys us legit customers.

The one thing i love about KSP as it stands is that i can copy the game to another directory and it works fine, no shady software modification required to bypass DRM.  I have absolutely nothing against giving the devs money they surely deserve (as KSP is like 100 times more entertainment for the price then almost all other games i own), but if DRM is added you are going to annoy alot of players.  Anyways, if you absolutely HAVE TO add DRM, make sure it isnt something that requires an internet connection to work, DRM like that drives me up the wall...

16 minutes ago, regex said:

I fail to understand how DRM is even relevant? The main game has no DRM, why should expansions?

1 minute ago, TheSaint said:

I think it's pretty unreasonable to expect a company to keep supporting and expanding a product such as KSP for free.

Is it unreasonable to expect a company to keep explicit promises?

2 minutes ago, technicalfool said:

I fail to understand how DRM is even relevant? The main game has no DRM, why should expansions?

vOv, expansions are just mods, basically. I suppose they could tie expansions to future updates, bug fixes, that sort of thing, distribute a new executable... Probably not worth the time though.

Edited by regex

I would be willing to pay for expansions.  Well, I would have been willing once upon a time.  Given what we now know about Squad's business practices I suggest that nobody pay for anything until they make radical changes. 

9 minutes ago, Sandworm said:

I would be willing to pay for expansions.  Well, I would have been willing once upon a time.  Given what we now know about Squad's business practices I suggest that nobody pay for anything until they make radical changes. 

Given what we think we might know about Squad's business practices maybe.  To much pre-judging going on in this day and age.

The one thing that makes me hesitate on any future Squad projects is actually their game design.  KSP is amazing because of it's core, not because of the actual "game".  

Edited by klgraham1013

Seems some people are getting all hot and bothered about absolutely nothing. The 1.2 game is being provided free of charge to update to; and it contains a bunch of new stuff to keep us happy. If SQUAD decided someday that the gravy train was over and they needed to start charging, or coming out with "KSP 2.0" at a new amount of $35-$45, I'd gladly pay.

A lot of you are forgetting the THOUSANDS of hours of entertainment this game has given those who have been playing for years; best $27USD I ever spent man. Show some fracking gratitude people and stop being so cheap with the wallet.

1 hour ago, DerekL1963 said:

@dlrk Um - I don't seen the word "paid" in there.  So, we're back to square one - nobody has mentioned paid DLC.

Phrases like "May include fees" teach you to interpret sentences in the darkest way possible when it comes to your wallet.

This includes more free updates, full expansion packs with an incredible amount of new content and much more

Note how they say “free updates, full expansion packs” and not “updates and full expansion packs for free” or even “free updates and free full expansion packs”

The fact that full expansion packs are mentioned, explicitly without the word free, is a pretty good indicator that you will have to pay for it. If it were free, it would have been mentioned as such.

Not that it's a bad thing. Unlike free updates, paid expansion packs will allow for continued development. Also, depending on how cash-hungry Squad's owners are (and it is not unimaginable they are, based on the sparse interviews in the past as well as some other indicators), they will likely very much realize that the first expansion pack that disappoints will also be the last one, as everyone will stop buying them. Unlike “free,” money is a pretty good incentive for delivering quality.

4 hours ago, Camacha said:

No. They already created an expansion and sold it together with the full version of KSP, calling it the KerbalEDU edition. Despite previous promises, this extra content is not provided for no charge. Due to some semantic weaseling, calling it a different version rather than extra content for KSP, they do not feel obliged to provide the content promised to explicitly. There is no reason that could not happen again.

As I understand KerbalEDU was done by another company probably with help from Squad but its more like Fallout New Vegas who was build as an total conversion of Fallout 3 by another company.

2 hours ago, Kerbart said:

Note how they say “free updates, full expansion packs” and not “updates and full expansion packs for free” or even “free updates and free full expansion packs”

Note how they say nothing about paid DLC.  Zip.  Zero.  Nada.  Your semantic games are not "Squad said".

9 minutes ago, DerekL1963 said:

Note how they say nothing about paid DLC.  Zip.  Zero.  Nada.  Your semantic games are not "Squad said".

Do you have trouble with text implications? You were quibbling over what I thought was really obvious assumptions in our discussion regarding tanks earlier, too. (serious question, a lot of people have trouble with this sort of thing in text)

1 minute ago, magnemoe said:

As I understand KerbalEDU was done by another company probably with help from Squad but its more like Fallout New Vegas who was build as an total conversion of Fallout 3 by another company.

The big difference is that Squad owns the rights to KSP. Squad initiated this so called different version and owns the IP, so it is still responsible for anything that happens to and with it. Squad cannot hide behind the fact that Squad itself asked another party to do part of the development.

Also, pretending that the kerbalEDU version is another game is belittling and offensive. I am looking at Squad there. It is not a total conversion. KSP and KerbalEDU are almost the exact same game with the exact same content. They just added some tools, repackaged it under a slightly different name and weaseled out of promises explicitly made.

I dare anyone to look at the video and tell me that it is anything different than a very slightly modded version of KSP. There have been updates that constituted a bigger difference than the difference between KSP and KerbalEDU. We have been duped, and in a fairly shameless fashion at that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.