What Facts Do We Know About The Devs Leaving?

Mycroft

9 minutes ago, Andem said:

Do you know how expectations work psychologically? Because I guarantee you that isn't it.

So you move to a new area, and the girl next door is nice to you. You ask her to the movies, she says yes. You want more, she is being polite and nothing else and dosent want more. Here we have the devs the lovley nice one girl next door. And you made something up in your head. 

There you go a childs guide to expectations. And being this much of an pain to the devs will just mean in future they wont include the comunity, so please stop, because i love @RoverDude's mods and id hate for him to stop on account of fanboys that think they are smarter that the guys that created the game.

4 hours ago, Bomaye said:

SQUAD staff just ruined my online tinfoil hat shop ;.;

Can still be saved.

May I have one I can cover my whole house with?

Rumor: They were all bought out by competition to work on a "KSP killer" class game!

*peers cautiously from his tinfoil bunker*

Edited by Sharpy

@Space Kadet, please remember to keep emotions down.

5 minutes ago, Sharpy said:

Can still be saved.

May I have one I can cover my whole house with?

Rumor: They were all bought out by competition to work on a "KSP killer" class game!

*peers cautiously from his tinfoil bunker*

[You are only allowed to give 25 likes per day. You cannot give any more likes today.]

Dag-nabbit.

Edited by Mycroft

1 minute ago, Space Kadet said:

I do actually hence my comment

Well, sorry to say, it is incorrect. Long story short, B.F. Skinner's theories demonstrate that habits, and by extension expectations, are formed by conditioning over time, from one system/organism to another organism. In this case, the KSP community has been trained to expect clear and direct answers. Not saying this is in Squad's best interests, but they're the ones who created the expectation

5 minutes ago, Space Kadet said:

So you move to a new area, and the girl next door is nice to you. You ask her to the movies, she says yes. You want more, she is being polite and nothing else and dosent want more. Here we have the devs the lovley nice one girl next door. And you made something up in your head. 

No.

In order for there to be an expectation there has to be repeated instances of reinforcement. Asking a girl to the movies once does not create an expectation, and if you have one it isn't justified unless all the girls you've asked to the movies beforehand / you've been taught that there is something to expect. Expectations do not come from nowhere. Back to the topic, Squad has created that expectation intentionally or not with the openness about Felipe and Kasper's departures from the team as well as the clear and concise press releases that Kasper issued after any given disaster. This creates an expectation that Squad will be clear about what they have to say about controversy and the circumstances of staff leaving.

Either way it's a moot point because @nestor has put to bed the reason for staff members leaving.

21 minutes ago, Mycroft said:
1 hour ago, csiler2 said:

Of course someone named Mycroft would be gathering facts and evidence. Do you have a Sherlock helping you?

Good work. I'm a fan of objective data gathering in the face of a heated topic.

First, thanks! Second, what? I actually picked my name as a result of SeaQuest, but I am dimly aware that my username had a more popular reference. Can you enlighten me?

Sherlock Homes has a brother named Mycroft. He's smarter than Sherlock, but hates the "leg work." 

3 minutes ago, FullMetalMachinist said:

Sherlock Homes has a brother named Mycroft. He's smarter than Sherlock, but hates the "leg work." 

Ohhhh. I like the smart part, but I don't exactly like the laziness part. Thanks!

And I didn't have help from anyone for the original post, but lots of people have helped me correct and refine it!

Edited by Mycroft

3 hours ago, Galileo said:

As happy as I am about ksp continuing to be developed, part of me is quite exhausted with the constant updates. That being said,  if 1.2 has a long life span,  my exhaustion wont be so bad. Obviously let's fix the game breaking bugs but let 1.2 go for about a year before releasing anything anything new. I think I can speak for the majority of the players when I say mods are what make this game truly special and most people don't like waiting for mods to be updated every 3-4 months. I'm also sure it has caused some talented developers to close up shop. It's been a constant game of catch up. I'm not saying I don't appreciate the work Squad does and how it has the players in mind when working on new features and bug fixes, I'm just saying it's exhausting :)  I know what I am saying here will probably fall on deaf ears and that's fine,  I just wanted to say this.  I feel better now. 

I finished my likes for today, but this post really deserve one, a big one!

58 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

First, thanks! Second, what? I actually picked my name as a result of SeaQuest, but I am dimly aware that my username had a more popular reference. Can you enlighten me?

Sherlock Holmes.  He had an older brother called Mycroft, who was, in Sherlock's words, smarter, but detested legwork 

3 hours ago, Galileo said:

As happy as I am about ksp continuing to be developed, part of me is quite exhausted with the constant updates. That being said,  if 1.2 has a long life span,  my exhaustion wont be so bad. Obviously let's fix the game breaking bugs but let 1.2 go for about a year before releasing anything anything new. I think I can speak for the majority of the players when I say mods are what make this game truly special and most people don't like waiting for mods to be updated every 3-4 months. I'm also sure it has caused some talented developers to close up shop. It's been a constant game of catch up. I'm not saying I don't appreciate the work Squad does and how it has the players in mind when working on new features and bug fixes, I'm just saying it's exhausting :)  I know what I am saying here will probably fall on deaf ears and that's fine,  I just wanted to say this.  I feel better now. 

I was thinking this exact thing today- having played 1.2 throughout the pre-release cycle I feel it is solid enough to be considered a "Long Term Release." I'd love to see a 1.3 and beyond, but man is 1.2 really good, so good that it can hold the fort for quite some time.

@RoverDude thanks for your side of the story, apparently 2016 is the year of feels over reals though :wink: However I'm old, so I still prefer the reals :D 

Edited by Waxing_Kibbous

8 minutes ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

I was thinking this exact thing today- having played 1.2 throughout the pre-release cycle I feel it is solid enough to be considered a "Long Term Release." I'd love to see a 1.3 and beyond, but man is 1.2 really good, so good that it can hold the fort for quite some time.

@RoverDude thanks for your side of the story, apparently 2016 is the year of feels over reals though :wink: However I'm old, so I still prefer the reals :D 

As an aged KSP players, the short life span of every release is somewhat frustrating. As the the new version is released, the hype is high, for the new features, better (?) performances, but then, you need your mods to be updated. So usually I play few hours in sandbox testing mods or trying something different. When finally all the desired mods are ready, I start a new, serious save with great goals and after no more than 3/4 months a new version is coming. So, delete the save, look for new mods, wait for the release and then repeat the same routine again. At firsts (0.16?) it was funny, but now I would like to have the time to enjoy 1.2 for a little more. Hopefully.

55 minutes ago, Andem said:

Long story short, B.F. Skinner's theories demonstrate that habits, and by extension expectations, are formed by conditioning over time, from one system/organism to another organism.

Getting off-topic here, but B.F. Skinner's theories have been long demonstrated to be B.S. They have also caused immeasurable harm over the time they were accepted; his concept that 'child's gender can be imprinted through treating the child as given gender' backfired spectacularly when among the 15 or so boys, who shortly after birth underwent gender change operation and then raised as girls, not a single one reached 30 years as a woman.

5 hours ago, UomoCapra said:

This whole situation has become very controversial, especially because you all know the guys who decided to part ways and they've been active on the forum for a long time.

I thank you for understanding this. We love these guys. It wouldn't be such a big deal if they were still here on the forums, but instead they seemed to have disappeared. Many of us worry about the cause of their disappearance. Has Squad prevented them from communicating with us? 
My plea is this: Squad, please allow these guys to freely continue to take part in our community.

Edited by JedTech

My god people ... can't you just let a dead horse die

Like seriously, this drama was created in someone's head and then a portion of the community became a super-organism which reinforced the original delusion

If an animal is in pain and about to die, do you not put it out of its misery instead of letting it die a slow and agonizing death?

The cruelty and non-understanding that has been shown over this issue as well as people who think they know chirping about things that they only have a cursory understanding of has created stress for, as well as has possibly caused damage to his career (not to mention others) shows that people need to get their ***** outta their ***** and realize that the worst type of person to have around and listen to is someone who "thinks they know"

Let a dead horse die in peace for ***** sake

7 minutes ago, Sharpy said:

Getting off-topic here, but B.F. Skinner's theories have been long demonstrated to be B.S. They have also caused immeasurable harm over the time they were accepted; his concept that 'child's gender can be imprinted through treating the child as given gender' backfired spectacularly when among the 15 or so boys, who shortly after birth underwent gender change operation and then raised as girls, not a single one reached 30 years as a woman.

Well not all of his assertions stood up to scrutiny, and neither did *heaves* Freud's.They still brought a lot of important... ah, developments to the table. After all, Albert Einstein rejected many notions about quantum mechanics because it implied things that didn't fit into his world view. Everyone has there hits and there misses. :P

Just now, Stocchinet said:

Guys i make tin foil hats! Awesome tin foil hats for 3.00$, YES, ONLY 3.00$! Custom ones for 5.00$, accepting preorders from now! (the product may take years to complete)

Already beat you to it ... I work at a screen printing shop and I proposed to my boss that we start producing screen printed tin foil hats for all your nut bar needs

This thread has now become Off-Topic Simulator 2016.

Tinfoil hats can really change trains of thought. Absolutely powerful.

I'd like to buy 10 of your tinfoil hats for, uh, "experimenting".

Edited by Guest

49 minutes ago, Frozen_Heart said:

Uh.... i missed a few posts. How did we get from facts about developers leaving to doctors doing experiments on gender identity?

A few people got derailed, basically. Let's get back on topic, please, people!

29 minutes ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

Thanks so much for clearing up all the details. The forums have still exploded anyway... :P

If you mean me, then you're welcome.

I like to think that it would have been worse if I hadn't, but that's just a silly fantasy. :D 

Edited by Mycroft

5 hours ago, Kerbart said:

Now, I agree, we don't know what's going on inside Squad and it's their prerogative to keep it that way. But here's an analogy:

“Every week I go to the same restaurant. The people there know me, and I like it. Over the years, it has improved greatly. From undercooked, overspiced, or not getting food at all, it has changed into a fairly developed venue with good (but always perfectly prepared) food. Over the years, many changes were mentioned by management (a live stage, a desert bar, a better espresso machine) and some of those have actually been implemented.

Today however, I saw what seemed to be 3/4 of the kitchen staff walk out. I have a hot plate of food in front of me, so it's not going to affect dinner today. But should I come back next week?”

The trouble is that it isn't a very good analogy. More like:

"We bought our jeans and t-shirts in this mall a while ago, and management set out all these comfy chairs where we can hang out.
We haven't actually bought anything in here for a while. Months, years for some of us. But we keep directing people to the right stores and provide a nice atmosphere, so it's all cool.
Now we see a bunch of our friends, who used to work here, deciding to leave and we want to know why, but they're saying it doesn't change anything even if I feel in my bones that something's happening, and the only thing that looks sure is that the comfy seats will be here for a season or two...
Oh, and Johnny, Abe and I have been told that our comfy seats were produced in a sweathouse, the reupholstering was all fake Burberry, and the management speaks all this corporate shill-speak whenever we present our residents' manifesto, near as telling us not to write on the walls and sh*t...
Meanwhile Doddy, who does ace work by the way, says it's all fine but really, have you even seen his hair and stache, looks like he's itching to run his own mall. He'll be telling us 'two legs better' next, I betcha..."

I was going to write more, and actually wrote a whole lot more, complete with analogies to Deus Ex / Ion Storm Austin etc., but I don't think it's useful. It feels very much like flogging an out-of-date Findus.
So... good to know that development is continuing, there are no hard feelings with our beloved (ex- or current) staff and we'll all get more freebies to further tilt this extremely minimal cost-per-hour-of-play investment in our favour. ; )

8 minutes ago, 322997am said:

I think that this is a very bad scenario. I just had my opinion of this game change;.;.

Your opinion of the game shouldn't change because of things that aren't the game. The game is fantastic. The working conditions surrounding some of the former developers maybe not so much. They're separate things.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.