[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

17 hours ago, Galileo said:

Try turning the shadow bias stuff down to 0 in the scatterer window on the main menu. See if that helps

Thanks for the tip Galileo, but nothing changed. I went to my stock KSP install and immediately noticed the same effect in reverse at launch and as expected when landing. Maybe it happens to everyone and they just don't notice?

The next time @RoverDude is streaming his GPP gameplay, can someone please give him a reminding nudge that the dV maps are all included within the KSPedia. He has been looking for them online the past couple of times that he has loaded up the game but they are in fact included... within the game. :D 

Unfortunately I don't get to watch RoverDude stream live too much but I'm sure some of you guys can pass on the message. :wink: 

Edited by Poodmund

I am still trying to figure out how to survive atmospheric entry on Tellumo in 10x scale - hitting that atmosphere at 17 km/s leads to 30-40G deceleration - nobody would survive (except perhaps Jeb and Valentina with their BadS trait). The atmosphere is just too compressed for normal upper-atmosphere lift shenanigans, especially since the command pods can't do the CoM offset like they can in RO

@RoverDude I mentioned in your stream last night that there's a Kopernicus dll that must be installed to make rings work. :)

On 11/16/2016 at 3:55 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

To get Kopernicus fancy ring shaders to work on all ringed planets download this interim update to a Kopernicus dll and install it in GameData\Kopernicus\Plugins\ (click Yes if asked to overwrite).

The full instructions, updated as required with every release, are here:

Edited by JadeOfMaar

With the advent of ultra-distant bodies in popular planet packs, perhaps this will be of use: Extended Antenna Progression

Spoiler

This mod adds long-range antennas using stock assets to facilitate communications networks for planet packs larger than the stock solar system. This allows the player to extend, rather than replace, the stock antenna progression, making long-range relays possible without trivializing inner-system communications.

• The RA-500 weighs 1.3 tons and has range rating of 500 Gm. It has a 1.25m bottom node and fits in a 5m fairing (i.e. it's a 2x rescaled RA-15.)
  • The RA-2500 weighs 2.6 tons and has a range rating of 2.5 Tm. It has a 2.5m bottom node and fits in a 7.5m fairing (i.e. it's a 2x rescaled RA-100.)
  • The RA-12500 weighs 5.2 tons and has a range rating of 12.5 Tm. It has a 2.5m bottom node and fits in a 10m fairing (i.e. its a 4x rescaled RA-15.)

As an incidental benefit, these antennas offer better transmission performance than the stock relay antennas, particularly in terms of ElectricCharge consumed per Mit transmitted.

The enormous size of these antennas demands an unconventional approach to deployment. Possibilities include:

• Off-world manufacturing via mods such as Extraplanetary LaunchpadsOSE Workshop, or Ground Construction.
  • Oversized launch vehicles such as AB Launchers (5m), DIRECT (5m & 7.5m), or SpaceY Lifters/SpaceY Expanded (5m, 7.5m, & 10m). To facilitate the simultaneous launch of multiple satellites, this mod adds stock-based fairings (including interstage trusses) in 5m, 7.5m, and 10m diameters.
  • In case none of the above appeal to you, compact deployable versions of all three antennas are provided (via rescaling of the Communotron 88-88 to 0.625m, 0.9375m, and 1.25m.)

As the new antennas are substantially more powerful than the stock Deep Space Network, three additional levels of the Tracking Station are provided via the Custom Barn Kit (not included.) These allow the player to choose between launching local relays or simply boosting the DSN.

• Level 4 of the Tracking Station costs 2,111,000 Funds and boosts the DSN's range rating to 1.25 Tm.
  • Level 5 of the Tracking Station costs 7,916,000 Funds and boosts the DSN's range rating to 6.25 Tm.
  • Level 6 of the Tracking Station costs 29,685,000 Funds and boosts the DSN's range rating to 31.25 Tm.

This presents alternatives at several performance points to the excellent JX2 Large Deployable Antenna. These parts are generally cheaper and less massive than the JX2 for their range with the trade-off of being much bulkier and far less visually distinctive.

Testing welcome. If this is useful I will spin it off into its own thread, but given that GPP is the only solar system I'm aware of with bodies in the terameter range, I figured I would introduce it here.

22 minutes ago, PocketBrotector said:

With the advent of ultra-distant bodies in popular planet packs, perhaps this will be of use: Extended Antenna Progression

Hide contents

This mod adds long-range antennas using stock assets to facilitate communications networks for planet packs larger than the stock solar system. This allows the player to extend, rather than replace, the stock antenna progression, making long-range relays possible without trivializing inner-system communications.

• The RA-500 weighs 1.3 tons and has range rating of 500 Gm. It has a 1.25m bottom node and fits in a 5m fairing (i.e. it's a 2x rescaled RA-15.)
  • The RA-2500 weighs 2.6 tons and has a range rating of 2.5 Tm. It has a 2.5m bottom node and fits in a 7.5m fairing (i.e. it's a 2x rescaled RA-100.)
  • The RA-12500 weighs 5.2 tons and has a range rating of 12.5 Tm. It has a 2.5m bottom node and fits in a 10m fairing (i.e. its a 4x rescaled RA-15.)

As an incidental benefit, these antennas offer better transmission performance than the stock relay antennas, particularly in terms of ElectricCharge consumed per Mit transmitted.

The enormous size of these antennas demands an unconventional approach to deployment. Possibilities include:

• Off-world manufacturing via mods such as Extraplanetary LaunchpadsOSE Workshop, or Ground Construction.
  • Oversized launch vehicles such as AB Launchers (5m), DIRECT (5m & 7.5m), or SpaceY Lifters/SpaceY Expanded (5m, 7.5m, & 10m). To facilitate the simultaneous launch of multiple satellites, this mod adds stock-based fairings (including interstage trusses) in 5m, 7.5m, and 10m diameters.
  • In case none of the above appeal to you, compact deployable versions of all three antennas are provided (via rescaling of the Communotron 88-88 to 0.625m, 0.9375m, and 1.25m.)

As the new antennas are substantially more powerful than the stock Deep Space Network, three additional levels of the Tracking Station are provided via the Custom Barn Kit (not included.) These allow the player to choose between launching local relays or simply boosting the DSN.

• Level 4 of the Tracking Station costs 2,111,000 Funds and boosts the DSN's range rating to 1.25 Tm.
  • Level 5 of the Tracking Station costs 7,916,000 Funds and boosts the DSN's range rating to 6.25 Tm.
  • Level 6 of the Tracking Station costs 29,685,000 Funds and boosts the DSN's range rating to 31.25 Tm.

This presents alternatives at several performance points to the excellent JX2 Large Deployable Antenna. These parts are generally cheaper and less massive than the JX2 for their range with the trade-off of being much bulkier and far less visually distinctive.

Testing welcome. If this is useful I will spin it off into its own thread, but given that GPP is the only solar system I'm aware of with bodies in the terameter range, I figured I would introduce it here.

Dude. This is gold. 

25 minutes ago, PocketBrotector said:

I agree. This sounds like quite a thing and we're honored that you thought of us.

You may want to mention this to @StarCrusher96 as well. Kerbol Star System would benefit the most from this project.

29 minutes ago, PocketBrotector said:

Reveal hidden contents

I can dig it and can definitely get on board with some testing for it.  I may also have some input on ranges, mass and CBK implementation once I dig into your methods.  We're currently pretty much tied to JX2, DMOS or custom configurations right now.  Please do provide a link if you decide to spin it off officially.

May be a stupid question, but do you think this could come out for consoles anytime in the future after the game is fixed with the Loud and Clear patch incoming?

Btw, loved the Elite Dangerous style of the solar map!

Edited by Arch3rAc3

Just now, Arch3rAc3 said:

May be a stupid question, but do you think this could come out for consoles anytime in the future after the game is fixed with the Loud and Clear patch incoming?

Once mods (at all) are able to work on consoles we will see. :) Also, what "Loud and Clear" patch? Wasn't Loud and Clear tied to an earlier KSP release?

It makes more sense to upgrade the DSN as opposed to the spaceborne antennas - Gael-based transmitters are already those massive dishes. They are much more powerful by default than any spaceborne antenna. It makes no sense to have a small probe be able to communicate with another probe at nearly the same distance it can communicate with the DSN. 

14 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Any chance of an isothermal map of Icarus? Not even the poles seem to be under 1000K - there should be rivers of molten metal if that is right. 

No map. Heating is evenly generated all around due to the effect used. The only thing by which heat received varies is altitude. It would be great if the sunny side was indeed much hotter than the dark side without using that effect but that might require dropping its SMA and no one is going to like that.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Thanks for the warm response folks!

9 minutes ago, rasta013 said:

I can dig it and can definitely get on board with some testing for it.  I may also have some input on ranges, mass and CBK implementation once I dig into your methods.  We're currently pretty much tied to JX2, DMOS or custom configurations right now.  Please do provide a link if you decide to spin it off officially.

The current balance is strictly a mathematical progression - totally agnostic to the solar system or use-case. Each antenna is one step up in size & has 2x mass and 5x range of the previous antenna; each DSN level has 5x the range and costs 3.75x more than the previous. 

Barnkit feedback is appreciated as I didn't actually test that part yet...

13 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

You may want to mention this to @StarCrusher96 as well. Kerbol Star System would benefit the most from this project.

Will do!

6 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

It makes more sense to upgrade the DSN as opposed to the spaceborne antennas - Gael-based transmitters are already those massive dishes. They are much more powerful by default than any spaceborne antenna. It makes no sense to have a small probe be able to communicate with another probe at nearly the same distance it can communicate with the DSN. 

"Small..." :rolleyes:. The biggest one here is almost ten meters wide - I should probably put it on a rover and see how it looks next to those tracking station dishes! Then if you want, I can keep extending the progression until I get one that's bigger. :) Might be hard to launch though...

8 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Yes it does make more sense to upgrade ground stations - of course it does since it's easier and simpler.  That doesn't mean that having powerful deep space networks can be any less valuable especially during times of ecliptic blackout.

3 minutes ago, PocketBrotector said:

The current balance is strictly a mathematical progression - totally agnostic to the solar system or use-case. Each antenna is one step up in size & has 2x mass and 5x range of the previous antenna; each DSN level has 5x the range and costs 3.75x more than the previous. 

Barnkit feedback is appreciated as I didn't actually test that part yet...

I've just glanced over the configs on the GitHub and see the basics of what you're doing.  I'm gonna throw it in game and play around with it some to see how it operates at scale to give you some feedback.  I'll especially take a close look at the CBK stuff.  I know it pretty well since I was like the 3rd, maybe 4th person to reply to Sarbian's original thread for it and haven't ever had a career install without it since then. :D 

20 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Once mods (at all) are able to work on consoles we will see. :) Also, what "Loud and Clear" patch? Wasn't Loud and Clear tied to an earlier KSP release?

Not for us console plebs. It will, hopefully, take a few more weeks or a couple of months for the update to come out (assuming it will be in this year as the devs said).

Edited by Arch3rAc3

2 minutes ago, Arch3rAc3 said:

Not for us console plebs. It will, hopefully, take a few more weeks or a couple of months for the update to come out (assuming it will be in this year as the devs said).

That's gotta be painful. I feel for everyone who has KSP for consoles right now. :( 

Getting to Icarus and back in 10x seems to cost something like 70 km/s of delta-V with my sketchy orbit plotting. Without NFP's advanced gridded ion drives I doubt it would really be possible - chemical rockets can't get anywhere near that. 

My vessel packed 78 km/s, so fuel wasn't the issue. That magic heat field was though. It cost almost 20K to brake into orbit, another 20K to get to a Gael intercept, and ~8K at Gael to get into a survivable orbital re-entry. Everything else was plane changes, landing, and other shenanigans including losses due to long ion burns. 

26 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

No map. Heating is evenly generated all around due to the effect used. The only thing by which heat received varies is altitude. It would be great if the sunny side was indeed much hotter than the dark side without using that effect but that might require dropping its SMA and no one is going to like that.

I tried to plant a flag three times on Icarus, and every time the Kerbal vanished in a puff of smoke. Ships are OK with enough radiators, but we really need a KIS-type outfit or backpack for a Kerbal to wear in extremely hot environments when on EVA.  The suit/pack can be expensive and/or near the end of the tech tree and/or only be good for five minutes, but there needs to be some solution.