[1.3.x] NovaPunch Continued: WIP / Alpha v0.1.4.4 (Apr 1, 2018)) Now on CKAN.

Padrone

FE categorises the same way as stock (for the stock categories) with the custom additions being categorised more by function (ie. which modules are present). There is a Novapunch category config and icon that should just work out of the box if the GameData folder is called "NovaPunch2"

PS

Propulsion is the old (pre-1.0 IIRC) category that combined engines and fuel tanks. If KSP finds a propulsion part it splits it into those two based on the presence of an engine module. It's probably not the best one to use.

Ok, I think I get this.  If I write and include a standard MM patch that required FE, I could use it to re-categorize the parts by replacing the "category = " line?

That way it works for stock, and for anyone with FE.  Have I got it?

No, no patches or changes to the parts are required except in the case that a part gets miscategorised under FE's extra categories which should be relatively rare at this point

You can add additional FE configs if you want to add more categorisation, but specific modifications to parts should be rare

Edited by Crzyrndm

5 hours ago, Crzyrndm said:

.... if the GameData folder is called "NovaPunch2"

Folder should be named NovaPunch, not NovaPunch2, there are a lot of model paths with that. I made Novapunch first and lots of parts were "unable to compile" due to this issue. Or references should be fixed to use NovaPunch2 instead.
Padrone - what do you think about the idea to add some part from other Tiberion mod to NovaPunch Continued? I mean boosters, tanks and maybe extendable docking ports from

There is working link of 1.0.2 test version on the page 29:

I've done quick and dirty test with my copy of it from 1.0.2 folder, where I left only single engines, shuttle cluster of 3, solid and Zenith boosters, booster cone with integrated solid separatrons and docking extenders - all exept docking extenders work in 1.2, and on the second thought they are a bit off-style with current textures. But I'd like to see Zenith boosters back to life at least. I asked Tiberion about that mod, he said you may take good parts from there to NovaPunch Continued if you wish.

15 hours ago, Crzyrndm said:

No, no patches or changes to the parts are required except in the case that a part gets miscategorised under FE's extra categories which should be relatively rare at this point

You can add additional FE configs if you want to add more categorisation, but specific modifications to parts should be rare

Great!  I'll install FE into my clean-room install I use  for testing my NP changes, and see what it looks like vanilla.  Which is probably pretty good.

@Warro I will put that on my list here, but honestly I need to get up to speed on Blender before I get too far down the rabbit hole.  My longer range plans include tidying up some of the collision meshes, after getting the landing legs working.

Oookaaaay. I've just spent some time down the rabbit hole. That is to say, starting to read up in detail on what i need to do in order to actually modify/create parts.  While I'm an IT person, modelling and texturing are pretty new to me.  (Unless you count item creating in Second Life. :P)

It's obvious to me it's going to take a bit of study.  So in the mean time I'm going to dual track work on this mod.  I'll work on things like the RealPlume setups, balance, etc while I'm teaching myself Blender.

Speaking of progress, I briefly looked at USI-LS (I use TAC myself).  It appears from a few random inspections that USI doesn't preload a few days supplies into CM's like TAC does.  Did I look at the wrong sampling, or is that the normal thing?  (Or maybe I installed it incorrectly)

usi ls does add habitation modules but only to stuff like crewed labs,cupolas etc. for a small capsule the lil milk cartons last for quite awhile depending on how you have your settings set.

im kinda trying to do the same thing teach myself blender unity working with trying to restore older mods like you are doing. itsa long slog though. take frequent breaks it aint gonna happen in a day. 

2016 Nov 26 - Released 0.1.3.0

NOTICE:  The NovaPunch 1.25, 2.5 and 3.75 Procedural Fairings are being deprecated.  They're basically heavier, more expensive versions of the stock units.  (To the point they are visually identical).  Please retire these parts from use.  They will be dropped in a future release.

• Rebalanced the 5m (Sluggo Delta Protective Shell) to match stock mass/cost.
  • Recategorization pass: I think everything shows up correctly if you're using Filter Extensions.
  • When Remote Tech is present, all Command Modules have a built in short range antenna.  The CM's have a "Start Deployed/Start Retracted" button.  Deployed by default except for the Thor command module.  Also the Thor RCS/Antenna is a combo RCS and Antenna when using Remote Tech.
  • When TAC-LS is present, The TAC-LS module will add 3 days of supplies to all Command Modules.  The YawMaster module also has 3 days of supplies for the crew.
  • Fixed Freyja heatshield issue.
  • Tweaked and renamed some of the ship examples.
  • Added two sub-assemblies, a Odin Command Module and an Odin/Thor lander set.
Edited by Padrone
Cleaning it up

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I didn't think that this mod would be continued - I still have a very early copy of the mod stored on a USB drive somewhere...

...Yes, that version is the version before the Odin pod was re-textured and re-modeled.

I love this mod, and I hope that it keeps updated for many more KSP versions to come!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/23/2016 at 1:14 PM, COL.R.Neville said:

i would definitely change the cfg's instead of using mm patches. that way at least going forward you would have a good base to work from. mm patches are great until one comes along behind and undoes everything. 

Let me second (and third, and fourth) this statement.

I am the maintainer of KW Rocketry.  It was originally a community effort, with quite a number of patches to keep the original mod running.  While working, it was very confusing, to the point that it was unmaintainable;  there were at least 4 layers of patches, one fixing the previous, etc.

It was a big pain to finally merge them all, I had to hack MM and then write some C# code in order to get merged code with the comments still intact.

You should only use MM to make changes specific to specific mods, but the core files should be stable.

And, finally, thank you for keeping this going.  It was one of the first mods I installed, and used to be one of my favorites.  I've gotten requests to do this, and am very happy to refer them to this thread

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 2 months later...

Ok, long story I won't bore you all with, but I'm back. :)

Before I continue working on learning the modding software, I'm going thru the mod to clean up some stuff for 1.3. I wanted to get some feedback on this thought.

Currently, NovaPunch adds four companies to the, umm, large list of companies in KSP.  What are folks thoughts on condensing it down to just "NovaPunch LLC" for all the parts, and dropping Wobbly Rockets, SlugCo, Tiberdyne, et all? 

1 hour ago, Padrone said:

Currently, NovaPunch adds four companies to the, umm, large list of companies in KSP.  What are folks thoughts on condensing it down to just "NovaPunch LLC" for all the parts, and dropping Wobbly Rockets, SlugCo, Tiberdyne, et all? 

I don't see where lots of companies becomes a problem, personally

On 2/23/2017 at 3:01 PM, StevieC said:

how do I make the landing leg retract functionality work properly?

If you're talking about the "Odin Landing Leg" (little upside down T shaped peg legs) for the Odin heat shield, you can't just now.  I'm learning Blender so I can fix those and all the other legs in the mod.

Sorry about that, but stay tuned.  It'll get fixed.

On 3/7/2017 at 2:43 AM, eberkain said:

There are geometry errors that constantly spam when some engines are used.  

If you can either find or reproduce the log and Dropbox it for me, with a description of which engine(s) to look for, that would be very helpful.

Version 0.1.4.0 Released

Tightened up spacing between various Odin compoments.  (You shouldn't have to move the pieces closer together in the VAB to make it look right)

Moved several spacing nodes on the Bearcat engines, also to tighten up the spacing.

Moved all parachutes into the Aero category, moved several docking rings into the Coupling category, moved landing legs/pegs from Utility to Ground, and fine tuned other category entries.

Renamed several engines to have them show together in the VAB lists.  This should not affect any save games/craft.              

Made a tweaking pass at the example ships and subassemblies.

Please remember: The landing legs/pegs aren't really useable at this point.  I'm working on learning Blender and such to be able to fix them.

Also, the next release will remove the fairing previously mentioned as being deprecated.

• 2 months later...

I did sign up for Github, but haven't gotten the time to read up on how to actually Github.  (That's a verb too, right?)

I do plan on that, after I figure out 3d modelling and texturing.   Was that an idle question, or do you have something to add to the project?  In which case I can probably learn Github quicker than the other things.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to stop by and say Hello and thanks for trying to keep this mod up and going.

Well done.

Regarding some of the earlier comments / questions / suggestions...  One company or 12, it is up to you.  You are the one keeping this going, it is your prerogative.

And i am looking forward to getting the little landing legs backup and working.  I wish i knew more about unity, modelling and such to help, but my programming is ASM and FORTRAN and other microcode for specialty machines.  Not much help these days.

Again, great work and thanks.

Cheers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.