What do YOU call Jool's innermost moon--you know, the one with the ocean?

Mister Dilsby

Kerbfleet: A Joolian Pronunciation Guide  

261 members have voted

1. 1. How do you pronounce "Laythe"?

• Lay-Thee (same as two words from an Emily Dickinson poem)--like Val
    • Lathe (one syllable, same as the tool)--like Dilsby
    • Lay-thuh (possibly with a bit of a twang)--like Melbe
    • La thé (a nice hot beverage, served avec lait, perhaps?)--like Clauselle
    • Лайтэ (...um, I don't know how to read this properly, but I suppose this one would be)--like Nimzo
    • Something else--please explain in Comments!
  2. 2. Okay, how about "Vall"?

• Val (short, like the first syllable in 'Valentina')
    • Vall (rhymes with 'hall')
    • Something else--please explain in Comments!
  3. 3. Hmmm... "Pol"?

• Like the first syllable of "pollen"
    • Like the first syllable of "Poland"

Guys, they're obviously pronounced "Laythe", "Vall", and "Pol".

=====

Personally, I say "Layth-" with a silent "e", "Vall" is pronounced the same as "Val", and "Pol" is "Polite" without the "-ite". Now that I think of it, I'm now going to call anyone who lives on Pol a "Polite".

On 11/29/2016 at 8:15 AM, Kuzzter said:

Nope. We can't even decide among ourselves how things should be spelled let alone pronounced. Some favour one spelling, while others favor another. And then we have the debates involving how things are spelled now as opposed to the way they used to be spelt. And if you understand that all right, then consider the innumerable alternate spellings that were once errors but, through frequent use, are now alright for all but the most formal situations.

Spelt is a type of wheat

If you are going to currupt english, at least make sure your alternate spellings aren't other words.

Personaly, I don't find alternate spellings acceptable. The practice seems lazy to me and despite my best efforts to be inclusive, I still find myself judging people who write this way as being poorly educated. Sorry, but its how I feel about it. Don't worry too much about me though, I'm often bothered by the general slide in pronunciation as well as the tendancy for poor word choices.

For me, "Vall" rhymes with "hall"-- not "Val", that's why it has two L's.  I simply can't imagine it rhyming with "pal" or "Val"-- I can't think of a single English word that has A-L-L at the end of a word sounding like anything other than "all".

Pol sounds like the first syllable in "Poland" rather than "pollen" to me.  No real reason, the "pollen" version seems perfectly reasonable to me, too... I just happened to unconsciously settle on the "Poland" version when I started KSP, and stuck with it.

For Laythe, the closest one in your list for me is "lathe", but I had to mark "other" because that's not quite it.

The tool "lathe" is pronounced /leɪð/, in which the "th" has a voiced sound, like "th" in "the".

I pronounce "Laythe" as /leɪθ/, i.e. with a voiceless "th", as in "thin".

So, "none of the above" there.

40 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

Laythe is a bit of an odd one for me. Its pronounced similarly to lathe, but where lathe is a long unstressed syllable, Laythe is a short stressed syllable. People who know linguistics probably understand what I'm talking about here.

Yeah, it sure is an odd one. If only we had someone around here who knew linguistics...better still if they knew how to embed those cool special characters that leave no doubt as to the pronunciation--oh!

54 minutes ago, Snark said:

The tool "lathe" is pronounced /leɪð/, in which the "th" has a voiced sound, like "th" in "the".

Ah, you're right! I hadn't thought that through with sufficient precision, or I'd have made the second one a poll option. And speaking of 'poll', I went with the 'pollen' option immediately on reading the science reports comparing Pol to a grain of such. 

14 hours ago, Snark said:

So, "none of the above" there.

Finally, someone who uses IPA! I had almost lost all hope!

Really, guys, we should all admit that English, with its plethora of accents and alternate spellings, is a horrible platform for showing unambiguous pronunciation in text.

For the record,

Laythe: ['leɪθ] when speaking English, ['lɛiθ] when not.

Vall: ['væɔɫ] when speaking English, ['vɑl] when not.

Pol: ['pʰɔɫ] when speaking English, ['pol] when not.

1 hour ago, purpleivan said:

I always thought of Vall being pronounced as if spelt "Varl".

As for the others, Laythe as in the tool and Pol as in pollen.

I presume your accent is non-rhotic (deletes /r/ before a consonant)? In either case, we have a new variant: [vɑːrl] or [vɑːl]. The latter of which might be spelled 'wahl' in a German-like orthography.

1 hour ago, SchweinAero said:

I presume your accent is non-rhotic (deletes /r/ before a consonant)? In either case, we have a new variant: [vɑːrl] or [vɑːl]. The latter of which might be spelled 'wahl' in a German-like orthography.

It's Devonshire, Kent and a bit of Manc thrown in for good measure :D

As Italian, I'm more stuck on different pronunciation than english one:

I voted "Laythee", but in a weird different "3 syllable": LA-Y-THE <--- with the italian sound of each vovels: "LA" like "LAnguage", "Y" like "Italy", "THE" like it could be in "THEory"

Vall for me is totally in rhyme with "hall".

Pol, also, is definitely like "pollen"

When I first saw the name "Laythe"  I kept thinking of "Layte Gulf",  as in the battle of, WW2 style.

I imagined having to put my spaceplane down on an aircraft carrier,  whilst being chased by angry piston engine fighters.  Fortunately neither of these things were true.

In IPA: /lait/, /val/ and /pɔl/ respectively. Which is basically just me reading the names in French since I got used to the names before I ever heard them in English.

When I make the effort of not thinking in Frenglish, it's: /lɛjθ/, /vɔɫ/ and /pɔɫ/.

Edited by Gaarst

Val as [val], [a] as in "mother", masculine.
Sounds similar to "вал", "sea roller".

Pol as [pol], [o] like in "Paul" but shorter, masculine.
Sounds similar to name "Пол", "Paul".

Laythe as [leit], [lejt] feminine, indeclinable. 
Because it sounds like something average between the names "Lave" (planet system from Elite), "Leif" and "Blythe" for me, and I thought that "th" in "blythe" is voiceless. So, originally it was [leiθ] for me.
As in Russian there are no "th"s, this reduced to "t".
As in Russian I should choose "gender" category of the word, I inflect it as an indeclinable feminine, because "-t", "-th" sound like a MiddleEast-derived feminine name,

Edited by kerbiloid

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.