The Kerbal Dakar 2017 entry vehicles thread

Triop

9 minutes ago, Thor Wotansen said:

@Majorjim! your pretty looking video is blocked in the US for some reason, it made me sad.  ;.;

He also made a thread just for the Rage 2. He mentioned that he would re upload after XMas. The issue appears to be with the music choice, and the usual YouTube legal whatnot. 

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/153928-rock-crawler-rage-2-buggy

Edited by DrunkenKerbalnaut

3 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

Here we go chaps, my rover:

Very nice! and I love the revolving display stand for it.

I know there was some concern that I was driving solely under the sponsorship banner of the Trioptimum corporation, so I've added banners from some other reputable and well respected corporations.
NCSPswq.jpg

PPZTJRE.jpgGI4RTiw.jpg

Anyway, I'm off to do the family thing for a few days over xmas so won't be able to do any serious tinkering, but I'll be keeping an eye on this thread!
Have a good xmas everyone! 

One a side note, the closest I've been to going to space since this started was an unfortunate miscalculation of speed while going up one of the stage 3 hills!

51 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

Yeah it sucks.. I was pushing my luck with the music.. It will be re-uploaded an a few days. Thanks all!

That's a pity, choice of music was perfect for it. great vid btw, some of those crashes were spectacular! 

Good news!  My SlamTek Outlaw RallyTruck (2-seater version) just completed a full circuit of the Rally!  Refuels were required at Stage 3 and Stage 6, and there were only one or two minor tumbles the entire way. 

5ZyOyVp.jpg

I did not record it as I figured I would crash pretty hard at some point, but that point never came!  I also chose not to time it for the same reason, but for reference I was averaging 50m/s.

7dPilTc.jpg

Thompley and Bursal were the drivers for this vehicle.

Hoping to record my next circuit, assuming I make it the whole way again :wink:

(Also, I down-tuned my Junos to about 80% power via Thrust Limiter for Stages 2 - 6, which may have helped me not crash a lot :P )

Edited by Slam_Jones

Hmm... Results from preliminary tests are promising.

The Racetank:
g5r8LMr.png
j5Hw4EQ.png
A majestic vessel hailing from version 1.2.-1, the Racetank goes about thirty pure electric on the flat. With its complement of four Juno's, it averages about 60 on the hills. A few pics from the run:
QXa64dv.png
cDo18KG.png
DnP9qch.png
yCqDjsj.png
The vessel is quite performant. Only once was it airborne for more than a second, and long stretches were spent without a single keypress (save for the camera). It corners excellently, and, with the jets pushing it just above the wheels' drive limit, you don't even have to touch the throttle. It has a nice margin fuel-wise, and its fuel cells don't use any oxidizer at full speed. Sadly, about 8 klicks from the checkpoint, the sixth port wheel popped. This caused all sorts of problems, since basically none of my ships have crew. I'll probably strap Bill to the roof on the real deal. Specific problems included: a hard pull left, inability to drive without the jets, and sudden bouts of vigorous bouncing. I lost the right vert stab to one of these bounces. Still, I managed to make it in about eleven to thirteen minutes. I didn't get a shot of the finish, somehow. Part casualties were: some of the skirting and that chunk of the wing. Nothing else. If it turns out that the wing becomes detrimental to performance due to damage, I can pop it off.

I'm not sure if my hovertank has the fuel to do all of the stages, but it does make it to the foothills on a straight shot. Having some part name issues at the moment, so I haven't flown that one or the Land Cruiser. Silly me for using an in-development mod.

The Dakkar Magnus:
EhcgOq1.png
FSZDoBu.png
Though it is...um...very WIP, the Dakkar Magnus features the patent-pending Narwhalz Advanced Suspension. Currently implemented: Springs, compression damping, overloads, negative travel limiters, and sway bars. It does not feature excessive (or even sufficient) power or jets in this early stage. I did try a run. Some pictures thereof follow:
LIME94f.png
koWt7bs.png
I took Bill and Jeb with me. Many tires popped along the way, and Bill was tasked with repairing them. Unfortunately, during a routine repair, Bill was thrown off by the negative travel limiters at transonic speeds. He landed safely, headfirst in the sea. Jeb left him to swim out on his own, and continued the run. However, the suspension has...problems with extreme lateral slopes, and a tire popped. Jeb tried to fix it, but fell off the vessel. The Magnus' brakes were insufficient to keep it in place, and it slid down to the water.
uMyVqxV.png
Some say it is still there, slowly gyrating and splashing to this day.

I have not yet written it off as hopeless krakenbait, since I have yet to implement rebound damping, build a proper vehicle, and tune the suspension settings. More careful route planning and moar boostahs are in order.

I modified Majorjim's Rage2 a little bit and made a video. Hope you guys like it.

Yes I was overconfident and damaged it but it kept going. And sorry about the lag ... my terrain is cluttered with a gas stations, light poles, car wrecks and the mod that makes trees & rocks solid, probably eats some FPS as well.

Well ... after trying a lot of different designs I've chosen my chariot.

I won't be driving the Racer YKR because with all those landing gear the performance can only be described as science fiction. Even with the front or rear fallen off, it can drive on. And it has a ludicrous acceleration and top speed. It completed the whole track without refueling once in an obscene amount of time. Mountain route? This thing goes from flag to flag in a straight line. It's hard to compete with such a thing.

hETPzv0.png

uv1YGdw.png

I won't be driving the BX either.

FP0ggKy.png

Although cute, too much of a road car.

iS77AHB.png

A failed experiment. Yes it's sturdy. All those extra panels were meant as expendable parts, they would explode so the rest would not. But ... the frame twists anyway, blocking the jet exhaust stream. And the wheels just can't handle the extreme mass of the thing. The fuel consumption is terrible. Didn't even give it a name. Lesson learned: I don't need a roll cage. Just don't roll over and don't hit anything.

5OGmevU.png

abXHpmd.png

This one ... nope. Maybe nice for an APC or IFV. Not for racing. It breaks wheels all the time. The name is XSIVV not for nothing: excessive.

rzX6QYi.png

So this is the one ... based on my 1969 Charger R/T (Road/Track) version 3.0, I'm going to drive the Charger R/D (Road/Dirt). At first I was very annoyed with it, took me many hours to get it right. The top speed is modest but it has evolved into having excellent behaviour for this kind of thing. Great mountain climber too.

pwDiWkg.png

6HtFwgS.png

Edited by Azimech

@0111narwhalz Solar entries: idk man, @regex seems to be fielding a well-made solar entry. And if I was in a particularly game-y mood, my rolling cargo bay would destroy anything without a jet engine. Damn near certain of that. It's not right for this event, though. I like your suspension efforts, and the tank is a beaut!

@Azimech:  Will you be making videos of the Charger R/T on race day? Also, may I take it for a spin? :D 

1 hour ago, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

@0111narwhalz Solar entries: idk man, @regex seems to be fielding a well-made solar entry. And if I was in a particularly game-y mood, my rolling cargo bay would destroy anything without a jet engine. Damn near certain of that. It's not right for this event, though. I like your suspension efforts, and the tank is a beaut!

@Azimech:  Will you be making videos of the Charger R/T on race day? Also, may I take it for a spin? :D 

You can test the R/T today ... the R/D ... I'll upload that one after Dakar :-P

https://kerbalx.com/Azimech/77I--1969-Charger-RT-30

And yes, I'll upload some videos.

Edited by Azimech

8 hours ago, 0111narwhalz said:

All-solar entries be like:
EYQeIny.png

:sticktongue:

Solar's an interesting challenge. The cars are slower so you may not have to worry about the terrain messing you up so much but if you want to keep your speed up you have to pay close attention to route selection while ensuring you don't end up rolling down a hill to a fatal bounce or something. Climbing hills at < 10 m/s is a losing strategy so it's worth your time to detour slightly to stay on flat ground.

But yeah, I'm still "racing" at 30~35m/s. :)

11 minutes ago, regex said:

But yeah, I'm still "racing" at 30~35m/s. :)

It's gonna be a busy pack-in-the-back, methinks. 

"Spec Miata is a cross between the chariot race from Ben Hur and 101 Dalmatians" - Road and Track magazine

(Spec Miata is a highly regulated semipro/amateur race league consisting of modestly-powered Mazdas en masse - the speeds occasionally reach 120mph.... Occasionally)

Softened the suspension and posted my best Stage 1 time. Really looking forward to how this handles on the second and subsequent stages (later in the day after family things), hardly any bounce and really sticks to the ground after getting air.

Methinks it's time for a quicksave.

IB6AaqD.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.