The Kerbal Dakar 2017 entry vehicles thread

Triop

4 hours ago, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

Do you know if the CoT indicator in VAB/SPH centered in the thrust transform?

it seems pretty close for most , just stuck a coliderless ball on an engine an imported it, and yup, pretty damn close. and dont forget it's a point no more, it has no breadth depth or width so with a bit of tuning you can get an almost instant close.

Spoiler

Re toughness of cages.  Back in the days when i bounced i did a fair bit of serious offroading, (4 wheeling in the US ?)  after breaking everything except my jeep i built a tubular cage beasty,  it was hellishly fast , as light as two packets of smokes all round great fun, until it wasn't :)  we crashed so hard it ripped 3 wheels off complete with halfshafts, and tore the engine out of the frame and threw it 100 yards away, my navigator and myself although slightly worse for wear walked away, and aside from a kinked tube up front that presumably was the thing that hit the rock the cage was well within spec and reused.

On 17-12-2016 at 10:57 PM, Majorjim! said:

How do those rover wheels survive?? Also, I guess it helps when you have a nearly indestructible mod part roll cage! What is the crash tolerance on that thing anyway?

Interesting to see how people find ways to go fast and survive.

I encourage it, as long as no "indestructable" cheats/mods are used. (edit: I consider the tubes mod legit, it was out there to grab.)

Remember a car has to survive all the stages, driving fast is a risky business, traps anywhere.

You guys are putting so much work in designing your machines, kudos to all. ^_^

Edited by Triop

14 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

-snip-

Reveal hidden contents

Re toughness of cages.  Back in the days when i bounced i did a fair bit of serious offroading, (4 wheeling in the US ?)  after breaking everything except my jeep i built a tubular cage beasty,  it was hellishly fast , as light as two packets of smokes all round great fun, until it wasn't :)  we crashed so hard it ripped 3 wheels off complete with halfshafts, and tore the engine out of the frame and threw it 100 yards away, my navigator and myself although slightly worse for wear walked away, and aside from a kinked tube up front that presumably was the thing that hit the rock the cage was well within spec and reused.

Story time?

Spoiler

I was driving a Truck down a bumpy power line trail at a range, towing a full water trailer . Having likely just seen Dakar footage (hah), I jumped a 5 foot burn at 30 mph, sending my teammate into the ceiling, my trailer into the woods, and enough tents for 126 people into the sand. It took me and him about an hour and a half to clean it up, and he earned a lot of first rounds from me that day. 

Edited by DrunkenKerbalnaut

I also have some stage name suggestions after either landforms or where they are located, or difficulty apparently lol

Stage 1: Beach Run

Stage 2: Paso del Diablo (Devil's Pass in Spanish) b00c6819373d0c1ef8cb1ee42e8292c1.png

Stage 3: Calamity Canyon

d98a153c06d169ad219190f97ac96816.png

I haven't gone beyond Stage 3 yet though.

For my test run, I managed to kill Jeb, break 6 struts, a battery, an RTG and lose the entire front bumper.  I also identified a few things I need to tweak or change with the goat -   making a fuel cell that uses intake air and liquid fuel instead of the current LF/O mix would make a big difference all on its own. After 2 hours of driving, several rollovers ( one at 50m/s down a mountain) I made it all in one run, with the same vehicle.  All of the parts are stock except for the tubes.

I also discovered that Kerbals need seatbelts.  No fun at all chasing your rover on foot after getting thrown.

aFPvYqp.png

I figure with a few changes i could better my time by at least 20 minutes, probably more.

Notice the amount of electric charge and fuel left?

Darkness doesn't help either.

Edited by SasquatchM

As race day nears, the indecisive management at DK Salvage finally locks in their race entry:

QwcJvde.jpg

Vehicle: restored RoveMax Classic.

Spoiler

None believed to still exist, DK Salvage plans to begin re-production based on the results of the race. Referred to internally as "FrogStomp".  Headlights reconfigured for rally use by the fine folks in Hellas "Tweakscale" department. Wheels courtesy of Kerbal Motion, scaled to 80% to comply with vehicle rollover standards. Grumblings in the DK Racing realism department lead one to believe this choice may change. Spare parts and various recovery equipment courtesy of a last minute partnership with the folks at KAS/KIS. The colorful livery is the work of some Drunken Kerbal that DK Salvage keeps on payroll. 

Driver: Valentina Kerman.

Spoiler

The resident femme fatale at KSC. She's been to Jool and back, but has never seen the other side of the mountains. A questionable choice for Team DK Racing, but they are hoping for an upset. And of course, she will look great on a box of Wheaties. 

Navigation: Bill Kerman. 

Spoiler

The Original Wrench of the Kerbal Space Program, Bill has saved many an interplanetary mission from the jaws of failure with his engineering prowess, but can he fix a flat tire? A questionable selection for Team DK Racing, likely due to budget constraints. 

Edited by DrunkenKerbalnaut

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.