The Kerbal Dakar 2017 entry vehicles thread

Triop

My goal with the Goat was to make the vehicle as tough as possible. After a few minor modifications (It's fuel cell now runs off of Liquid Fuel and Intake Air, swapping in LF only tanks and changing the bed layout) I did a test drive around the KSC. Here are some of the results:

Goat vs Launchpad

H2YBoKL.png

Goad vs Admin Building

9Bn4fhn.png

Goat vs Fuel Tanks ( this one didn't go so well)

h147keN.png

All in all I consider it a success.

1 minute ago, SasquatchM said:

My goal with the Goat was to make the vehicle as tough as possible. After a few minor modifications (It's fuel cell now runs off of Liquid Fuel and Intake Air, swapping in LF only tanks and changing the bed layout) I did a test drive around the KSC. Here are some of the results:

Goat vs Launchpad

H2YBoKL.png

Goad vs Admin Building

9Bn4fhn.png

Goat vs Fuel Tanks ( this one didn't go so well)

h147keN.png

All in all I consider it a success.

I've never thought to use rubble piles for rover tests. Great idea!

2 hours ago, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

I've never thought to use rubble piles for rover tests. Great idea!

Yup they make for an excellent 'close to the launchpad' rover testing ground. I would love to see one introduced to the KSC. Something like a real world test site.

Just now, Majorjim! said:

Yup they make for an excellent 'close to the launchpad' rover testing ground. I would love to see one introduced to the KSC. Something like a real world test site.

I was actually in the planning phase for such a facility, but now...  BOMBS AWAY!

Hitting the crawler way at full speed, 45* used to be my test. 

So I did a bit of work with kOS, and have a basic script figured out so far.

I also wanted to have it auto-correct to follow horizon while airborne, but I haven't quite gotten that part figured out.

Regardless, my brakes now automatically deploy in the air (I added the boost flaps to the Brakes group, as well as a red light).  Check it out:

Also still modifying the Spring/Damper settings to get as smooth a ride as possible.  It's a bit better now, but still far from perfect.

(Oh, and also trying to shield the boost flaps better so they don't get ripped off in a crash)

Edited by Slam_Jones

1 hour ago, Slam_Jones said:

So I did a bit of work with kOS, and have a basic script figured out so far.

I also wanted to have it auto-correct to follow horizon while airborne, but I haven't quite gotten that part figured out.

Regardless, my brakes now automatically deploy in the air (I added the boost flaps to the Brakes group, as well as a red light).  Check it out:

Also still modifying the Spring/Damper settings to get as smooth a ride as possible.  It's a bit better now, but still far from perfect.

(Oh, and also trying to shield the boost flaps better so they don't get ripped off in a crash)

I think you may be able to soften some of those landings by putting the flaps in two action groups. Brakes, and flaps only. Let KOS trigger the flaps only group. It seems when you land, the brakes jar the vehicle a bit. 

Also, maybe a super tiny little bit of angle on the jets, to fire through CoM? Might soften that nose-down behavior it's doing midair. 

But all the same, this is great stuff. That KOS script could do wonders for a Minmus hover bike :wink:.

19 hours ago, Draconiator said:

Stage 1: Beach Run

Stage 2: Paso del Diablo (Devil's Pass in Spanish)

Stage 3: Calamity Canyon

Like it, keep coming those names, I'll pick the best and use them.

19 hours ago, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

Draconiator just reminded me: @Triop for a few extra km we could have a beach finish like IRL Dakar... :P  

Interesting.

14 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Delivery system sorted , Airships :) in particular the LedZep I did for HL Airships currently getting trialed after major refit.  Caries the 4t that my truck now weighs quite easily,  the hardest part was connecting the thing up :) ( note to self make cargo ramp/elevator)

ogDIbZC.png

That is awesome.

Edited by Triop

1 hour ago, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

I think you may be able to soften some of those landings by putting the flaps in two action groups. Brakes, and flaps only. Let KOS trigger the flaps only group. It seems when you land, the brakes jar the vehicle a bit. 

Also, maybe a super tiny little bit of angle on the jets, to fire through CoM? Might soften that nose-down behavior it's doing midair. 

But all the same, this is great stuff. That KOS script could do wonders for a Minmus hover bike :wink:.

Hm I'll try that with separating the flaps and the brakes.  Triggering an Action Group is just as easy as triggering brakes, so shouldn't pose an issue.

I think it does have a little thrust torque, so I'll try changing it up a bit.

Tested the script on another rover and it works just as well.  Also toying with how long to set the WAIT command between each cycle.

Just now, Slam_Jones said:

Hm I'll try that with separating the flaps and the brakes.  Triggering an Action Group is just as easy as triggering brakes, so shouldn't pose an issue.

I think it does have a little thrust torque, so I'll try changing it up a bit.

Tested the script on another rover and it works just as well.  Also toying with how long to set the WAIT command between each cycle.

Re: the wait. Given how little lifting surface you have, I would argue that a full half a second would be fine. Any less time spent thrusting while airborne has negligible or maybe even no effect on your speed. Somebody with modded rover wheels could attain similar airtimes, so I wouldn't overthink it.

I decided to give the toughest bits a go at night. It was interesting, to say the least. None of my lights were high enough off the ground to tell the difference between bump mapping and actual bumps in the map. Luckily, Bill has been  acquainting himself with the new toys from KAS... 

Spoiler

NalK9p6.jpg

Stage 1&2 at night: 36:12, including pit stop to reconfigure lights. 

Got playing with the tubular frame mod.

jU4m1Ai.png

All electric power (Fuel/Oxidizer and fuel cells), a whack of the brightest B9 lights and a super light 1.917 tonnes total weight (minus Kerbals of course).

She hauls butt!

It's far better now that it was way back in 0.19, when all we had for wheels were the wheelbarrow wheels that SQUAD supplied, and they would instantly blow at 60.1 m/s. No leeway whatsoever. Just like building planes in 0.13, we had to use more rocket parts to build buggies.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.