What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

7 minutes ago, steve9728 said:

But… yeah why they just put the price so that “robbery”… This is simply forcing piracy to occur.

That’s nothing compared to what HP is doing these days, bricking printers remotely because, among other reasons, the credit card on the ink subscription expired (or so I heard). 

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

That’s nothing compared to what HP is doing these days, bricking printers remotely because, among other reasons, the credit card on the ink subscription expired (or so I heard). 

Mine isn't that bad. But I know if I go forward one revision on the firmware the printer will stop working if it detects a non-HP toner cartridge. So I am stuck on this firmware revision forever.

10 hours ago, steve9728 said:

But… yeah why they just put the price so that “robbery”… This is simply forcing piracy to occur.

That’s how the printer companies (infamously) make their money, sell you the printer for cheap then bilk you for ink endlessly. The original subscription model.  

8 hours ago, TheSaint said:

Mine isn't that bad. But I know if I go forward one revision on the firmware the printer will stop working if it detects a non-HP toner cartridge. So I am stuck on this firmware revision forever.

Wait is that even legal? They can force you to use their own crap?

Im finally flying in flight sim after nearly beating my pc to death. Im doing a flight to phoenix in a 737-700 registration N268WN. Its real world counterpart will be landing in El Paso texas as i overfly El Paso. It amuses me to know the real world counterpart will be in roughly the same place as me lol

im a few miles past el paso and never heard or saw my real world counterpart. I fly with live traffic on so i hear and encounter (when not on vatsim) real world air traffic. I guess flight sim removes your real world counterpart to avoid confusion. Kinda disappointing. Im in N268WN but my flight number isnt the same.  I am SWA3712 it is SWA1695… still for me, as far as im concerned i over flew my real world counterpart.  On to phoenix!

current zulu 0101 eta 0149z

Edited by AlamoVampire

15 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

Im finally flying in flight sim after nearly beating my pc to death. Im doing a flight to phoenix in a 737-700 registration N268WN. Its real world counterpart will be landing in El Paso texas as i overfly El Paso. It amuses me to know the real world counterpart will be in roughly the same place as me lol

im a few miles past el paso and never heard or saw my real world counterpart. I fly with live traffic on so i hear and encounter (when not on vatsim) real world air traffic. I guess flight sim removes your real world counterpart to avoid confusion. Kinda disappointing. Im in N268WN but my flight number isnt the same.  I am SWA3712 it is SWA1695… still for me, as far as im concerned i over flew my real world counterpart.  On to phoenix!

current zulu 0101 eta 0149z

Now I assume you could solve that by not taking over an existing plane but add an new one. You could also set up some fun settings like then Norway created an new national hub and disbanded the old hub who had been temporary for over 50 years :) 
They had to move all the landed planes 50-70 km, I lived in the flight patch and counted 7 planes on a line incoming through a window in a house, I should gone outside.  

3 hours ago, steve9728 said:

The traditional festivals of Mid-Autumn Festival and National Day coincidentally “connected” this year. So from tomorrow there’s going to have 8 days holiday 

Hooray!

Nice, a bit like how Christmas and new year work, except you never get 8 days free but you might get two work days if Christmas falls on an Monday. Thursday or Friday that week would be an bad day to get your car repaired or similar.  

@magnemoe the 737 i was flying is a payware add-on. Ive flown flightsim for decades and this was genuinely a first for me. I think the odds of encountering the exact real world aircraft youre using in flightsim is astronomically small. I mean look how many coincidences had to line up for that. I had to choose to fly when i did. That choice lead to the update chaos i faced. Then that lead to me choosing to fly to phoenix from where i did, which lead to my flying over el paso when i did. Not only that but how many other things lead to the real world aircraft leaving lax when it did? Id say winning a billion bucks in the lottery is more likely lol

was still special to me :D 

On 9/28/2023 at 8:44 PM, steve9728 said:

The traditional festivals of Mid-Autumn Festival and National Day coincidentally “connected” this year. So from tomorrow there’s going to have 8 days holiday 

Hooray!

Hey look, guess who got stuck on the highway for 5 hours? Oh wait, that's me

Spoiler

eLdQXIC.jpg

The highway we need to drive is around 130~140km in total. Our city is an up-and-coming city of immigrants from other provinces, which means that the highways leaving the city are particularly congested every holiday season. Four of the five highways out of the city were jammed since yesterday, and the reason the remaining one wasn't jammed was that it would be a 300 km detour. Thanks to my dad's genius idea - back to Guangzhou the hometown on the first day of the holiday.

kk4fmVR.jpg

Good news: you are already halfway there

Bad news: The rest of those 62km need to take you 1h41min

On 9/7/2023 at 12:31 AM, TheSaint said:

One of the restaurants here in town that is on our normal date night rotation just got a robot waiter, looked a lot like that, just had more shelves inside for different dishes. Not surprising, since all of the restaurants in our town are chronically understaffed. It didn't serve us, we just saw it serving other tables.

aha!

shsz5vo.jpg

Edited by steve9728

4 hours ago, steve9728 said:

aha!

I had one of these when I was in Japan at an okonomiyaki restaurant. It had a cat face though and spoke to us after delivering the food.

In America maybe the criticism of robots replacing humans is justified, but in Japan it’s necessary due to declining population.

That said, there was a bizarrely high number of young female workers in the restaurant and retail service business, both in Tokyo and the countryside of Tokushima.

I’ll post a picture of mine when I get back to my PC on Monday!

On 9/29/2023 at 11:12 PM, steve9728 said:

Hey look, guess who got stuck on the highway for 5 hours? Oh wait, that's me

Because I personally couldn't resist the temptation of my friends buying me dinner and a drink or something, well, I'm stuck outside again.

I don't even know where so many people came from.

Quiz 1 for my Freshmen garnered 61% 'Fs', due in large part to the 6 map questions included in the quiz.  Also, they were not taking notes and had not studied. 

Just graded Quiz 3

61% of my Freshmen garnered 'As', due in large part to crushing the 18 map questions on the latest quiz.  Also, they're now taking notes, studying and working together to improve. 

I call that a win. 

Now to see if I can get my Juniors to come around.  One class did quite well... The other? 

Not so much. 

5 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

due in large part to the 6 map questions included in the quiz.

Which places did you need them to point out from the map?

When I was in senior high, our teacher just let us point out those Latin American countries. Similar results lol

5 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Quiz 1 for my Freshmen garnered 61% 'Fs', due in large part to the 6 map questions included in the quiz.  Also, they were not taking notes and had not studied. 

Just graded Quiz 3

61% of my Freshmen garnered 'As', due in large part to crushing the 18 map questions on the latest quiz.  Also, they're now taking notes, studying and working together to improve. 

I call that a win. 

Now to see if I can get my Juniors to come around.  One class did quite well... The other? 

Not so much. 

<_<
cartman-south-park.gif

4 hours ago, steve9728 said:

Which places did you need them to point out from the map?

When I was in senior high, our teacher just let us point out those Latin American countries. Similar results lol

For the 6 it was Tigris, Euphrates, Nile, the Levant, Anatolia and Mesopotamia.  (Fertile Crescent/dawn of civilization)

For the 18 I expanded it to relevant locations in a triangle from Persian Gulf to Italy to the Caspian Sea. 

Prior to high school, some of the kids hadn't done anything with maps since the 4th grade. 

4 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Prior to high school, some of the kids hadn't done anything with maps since the 4th grade. 

Most of our work with maps was, indeed, in history. Until somewhere relatively late we again had Geography and the teacher ran us through all the countries and capitals including Latin America. However, that wasn't where an internal meme originated. Instead, on behalf of our resident blonde ditz (she played the image up):

"Iran"

*points* "Teheran"

"Iraq"

*points* "...Teheraq?"

14 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

No. Thomas doesn’t have a tender.

Its in the name tank engine. Had no idea until I saw an Youtube video about it.  As I understand then the books was written steam engines was common so the term tank engine was well know for an small short range locomotive without tender. Now its just confusing.
220px-Thomas_Tank_Engine_1.JPG
The tanks are the two boxes at the side of the boilers.
But he color pattern on the above locomotive looks a lot like Thomas. 

20 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

Then maybe he should get a tender lol. Maybe if not thomas one of his friends but still for an anthropomorphic train for kids this real engine is stunningly close lol

Yes, basically an cartoon train with an face. Newer seen the show so not sure if more than the face animates in way other than a train, 

As for an tender, I guess you could add one to an tank engine for longer range but tenders tend to be highly integrated like seen on the locomotive above.