What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

I work in a bank, and after 2 years of Contractual service, i was finally confirmed as a permanent employee of my bank. Now, usually on confirmation, a candidate gets a light posting - a loan processing officer or an accountant, where he can learn more about the branch and its internal workings without any stress.

Guess what I got? The BRANCH MANAGER post. This is the post with the highest responsibility, and its unheard of for a freshly confirmed officer to get this post. The pressure would be immense, and the branch that i have been allotted is in the middle of hecking nowhere... It's where dreams and hopes go to die..

Still, i am happy. Struggle is the definition of a man, and if God bestows tough times on me then i won't disappoint Him.

Flew to Utah today! I'm volunteering in a church camp that's exclusively for the deaf from around the country, so I got to fly out. Tomorrow, I'll start training with all the other counselors and next week, the kids will arrive :D

Looks like I'll be getting a free airshow with my seaside sunbathing this year. Last year Anapa seemed to be hosting an A-50 that flew in and out like clockwork. That was rather boring.

This year, I'm crossing off all the bingos. Mi-8, Mi-24, Ka-27, Su-22, Su-34, Il-38, even a Be-12...

I got my Team Yankee starter force and painted up one of the M1A1 Abrams in a (horrible?) NATO camo. I think it looks good, but it could be better. I have a LOT more to paint.

IMG-3959.jpg

On 6/10/2024 at 6:39 AM, Ultimate Steve said:

Good luck to them! I lost one of my intrepid Lego astronauts on a rocket mission that broke up 500 feet above a corn field once, hopefully they make it out alive!

I lost our LEGOnaut and two other “volunteers” to a rocket-eating tree. Still haven’t found a proper-sized place to launch model rockets around here. Probably the best bet is to ask a farmer during fallow season…

PMDG in the last hour has released the 777-300ER and im beyond thrilled! It took me a bit to catch a fun av nerd reference in the price they are asking for it, and when i caught it i giggled. Its nerdy and im absolutely here for it! Id say what it is but im not sure if the forum allows it but the reference/in joke in its price has a shadow in this post. 

ok wow it seriously does not feel like 10 hours has passed since I posted this. Well, I have an update! I just started to play around with the 777 and holy cow guys, its a BEAST and a TEMPERMENTAL one at that! But, I would like to just show off the 3 aircraft I chose (for now as I learn the 777-300ER) to be my aircraft. In interest of transparency, I wanted to let you guys know I have 18 airframes I can use. I chose 3, with 2-4 more being considered. BUT, because I am an aviation geek I wanted to show the 3 777-300ER aircraft used by PMDG for these 3 models. 

First is American Airlines N717AN

1040261_e2b6e1631c_280.jpg

Next up is United Airlines N2251U

1233011_17ae529edc_280.jpg

Last but by no means least KLM PH-BVF

ph-bvf-klm-royal-dutch-airlines-boeing-7

all images used herein are used under fair use doctrine and from Planespotters.

I am looking forward to getting to know these fine aircraft and fly them! Oh by the way, if any of you are flight simmers and use PMDG aircraft for MSFS2020 please be aware that due to simulator limitations the 777-300ER cameras for the landing gear are not active in the simulator, perhaps down the road they will be added by either Asobo/Microsoft and or PMDG, but, currently they do not function. A real 777 pilot who has made a few videos on the PMDG 777 that is type rated in both the 777 and 787 (they share similar type ratings fun fact) stated that the cameras are real world optional equipment if memory serves. 

Edited by AlamoVampire

I just experienced what could be the most astronomically implausible thing EVER! It would come to no ones surprise I am an av geek and enjoy plane spotting or that I fly (i am a licensed rc pilot) rc aircraft or that I fly flight sim or make and collect models. I have a model of a then Continental Airlines (now repainted and updated  as United Airlines, but still the SAME EXACT aircraft)  757-200 registration N14118 by a company called Skymarks. Why is this relevant?

Scrub to 17 minutes. That aircraft landing? That is a 757-200. A Continental Airlines 757-200. Its registration? N14118. The odds of seeing a video recently posted containing an hour of plane spotting from around 23 YEARS ago containing an aircraft of which I have its model counterpart is so astronomically implausible I have better odds of going to vegas and turning a single dollar into a billion dollars with out losing or pushing a single hand of black jack in consecutive hands starting with $1.00. I am beyond floored to have this happen. Yes I took pictures of the video of the aircraft in full and its registration number, and of the model and its registration number AND of the two together. I think I need to buy a lottery ticket tonight.

I just did my first formal 777-300er flight!! A simple ferry flight to KDFW and wow is this aircraft exciting, confusing, frustrating and familiar all at once! It takes soo soo much more work to prep the aircraft for flight and then so much work enroute with it requiring checklists being completed. I love it! The flight was over in a flash.  Im going to need to learn so much and rewire my self to fly it proper. <scree>

12 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

I just did my first formal 777-300er flight!! A simple ferry flight to KDFW and wow is this aircraft exciting, confusing, frustrating and familiar all at once! It takes soo soo much more work to prep the aircraft for flight and then so much work enroute with it requiring checklists being completed. I love it! The flight was over in a flash.  Im going to need to learn so much and rewire my self to fly it proper. <scree>

I just went and found an adequate controller so I'll probably be getting more into MSFS soon. (i.e. once the update finishes in a couple days)

In the meantime, I have been getting some microscopy equipment - I have a microscope, but didn't have blank slides and cover slips up until a few days ago when I got those, and today I got pipettes and some plastic vials for samples. Now I'm ready to go scoop up some lake water and see what's living in it!

Edited by cubinator

I was watching a trip report video from a channel called Onboard HD and this video was of his flight from PHNL in Hawaii to KLAX and on final approach to KLAX i saw something that made me both laugh and say to myself what a waste of money. It was SoFi stadium in the LA area. It has digital advertising on its ROOF facing skyward. Only half the folks flying over it at BEST will see it on each flight. I dont know about most folk but unless you enjoy looking out the window in flight youre unlikely to see it, even less so if on the wrong side of the flight…

Why waste the money?

2 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

It has digital advertising on its ROOF facing skyward. Only half the folks flying over it at BEST will see it on each flight. I dont know about most folk but unless you enjoy looking out the window in flight youre unlikely to see it, even less so if on the wrong side of the flight…

Why waste the money?

I guess it looks good in the PowerPoint they showed to their bosses. That's not a factor to be underestimated.

Me and my family went on a trip to Niagara Falls! (Technically this happened yesterday, but I was unable to create a post at the time.)

8er1gIc.jpeg

Picture of Horseshoe Falls I took. More pictures in spoiler:

Spoiler

0BvBqZG.jpeg

I was strangely committed to getting a photo of a road sign with Niagara Falls listed.

pOk6QKq.jpeg

American Falls, with Bridal Veil Falls mostly obscured.

CCvZgsg.jpeg

Horseshoe Falls from a different angle.

We also went on the "Maid of the Mist" boat tour.