What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

Today I graduated with a bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering! I thought more people would decorate their caps. I'm on mobile so I can't easily post pictures but I'll post when I get home and unpacked.

Shameless plug: I don't suppose anyone here is part of a company looking for a new grad with satellite testing, integration, and programming experience?

1 hour ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Today I graduated with a bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering! I thought more people would decorate their caps. I'm on mobile so I can't easily post pictures but I'll post when I get home and unpacked.

Shameless plug: I don't suppose anyone here is part of a company looking for a new grad with satellite testing, integration, and programming experience?

Congratulations! That's so cool!

4 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Good luck, hopefully it takes you less than a year to get a job...

20 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

sean-william-scott-yes.gif

On 5/8/2024 at 1:09 AM, AlamoVampire said:

welcome to the club! I share now with you words from Da Vinci: When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward. For there you have been, and there you will always long to return - Leonardo da Vinci.

I am a licensed model aircraft pilot and a life long sim pilot, and NOTHING compares to having the controls of the real thing in your hands knowing YOU are flying. Again welcome to the club! back around the 97th anniversary or so of the Wright Brothers flight I got to take a fam flight in a cessna, and that hour in the sky was something that I will never forget. 

It's true...think I might start studying ground school this week...

I watched 2012 for the first time. I found it to be a pretty entertaining movie, which asks some interesting questions about morality when comes to saving the world, albeit perhaps not so original ones. It was refreshing to watch in 2024 when all the movies seem to be about relatively normal life, while the end of the world talk comes from IRL stuff (barring superhero movies which require a perennial doomsday to defeat).

I can’t decide between the oligarch calling an Antonov aircraft Russian or the Chinese Mi-26s airlifting giraffes and other animals as the most funny part.

Interesting to note, while the Chinese do not possess Mi-26s, they do operate a number of Sikorsky S-70s, which are partially depicted by way of Blackhawks with PLA insignia also used by the Chinese in the film.

Given the neutrino “mutation” nonsense in the beginning, I was thoroughly surprised that the arks ended up being ships instead of spaceships. Considering the shipbuilding giant it is today I’d say the premise of building a massive ark for 100,000 people isn’t too far fetched, although doing it in the Himalayas and in total secrecy might be.

I also found it funny that Japan, Russia, and China got stuck on the same boat together. I’m a Japanese person who has an interest in the Russian (well, Soviet) and Chinese militaries. I have seen a loosely similar concept explored in Japan Sinks: 2020, in which many Japanese refugees end up in Russia, Japan Sinks: 2023, in which a good portion of the Japanese population is evacuated to China, and I myself considered exploring the concept with the idea to conduct an amateur study of what kind of resources would be needed to relocate the entire population of Japan to new-built cities in the Russian Far East in the event of either a fantasy Japan sinks scenario or a climate disaster which renders Japanese summers unlivable. The latter is an idea I did not pursue. I also considered looking at the cost of moving the entire country into balloons on Venus, but I didn’t look at it either. My Mars city calculations over in the S&S section have now dissuaded me from taking a look at any such situation in a capitalist context. But I digress.

As far as apocalyptic stories or movies go, I like this one in that it has a relatively happy ending. I feel that “man just tears itself apart” type stories are too rooted in Hobbes’ view of man’s “true” nature without civilization, which was never meant to be an actual sociological or anthropological take on humanity and was simply a philosophical argument.

The truth is that we are very kind animals. It’s wrong to think that every man and woman would become a murderer the moment the kings and their courts were toppled; I think this idea focuses too much on the way law is used to restrain people and not enough on how morals do too. Yes, we can be violent. But if we were not primarily an altruistic species, I don’t think we would have gotten this far at all. “Men” (I use men in the sense of man vs. savage) created civilization, not the other way around.

IMO, of course.

Oh, and by the way, I now really feel like Moonfall was just an attempt to emulate what 2012 did but in an over the top way. I think 2012 works because the social phenomena of belief in that doomsday was popular. The idea of the Moon being an alien ark and it crashing in to Earth? At best a few dark web conspiracy lunatics know about it, at worst Roland just made it up himself and hoped people would be interested.

With PMDG nearing release (sometime in the next few weeks ((end of may early june being current predictions as its out of beta and into QA)) ) ive chosen to start doing some flights around europe in a klm737-800. So Im sitting in my 737 at my gate in EHAM (amsterdam schiphol) and an AI controlled A320 comes screaming across the airport at like 100-200 feet. Was like wth i thought i was not flying with ppl. I watched it disappear into the distance. Current flight? EHAM-LFPG or Amsterdam to Charles de Gaulle in Paris.

2 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

You’re a regular Disney princess. :lol:

Why do you have the exact same reaction as my coworkers!?

Posted (edited)

Well in accordance with my plans to get used to European airspace in anticipation of the PMDG 777-300ER im doing another flight in Europe, LIRF-EGLL (Rome Da Vinci Fiumicino - London Heathrow) and im in the PMDG 737-700. Last few flights ive done have been the -800 model and wow does the -700 feel small. I know my perception of size will break when I finally have the 777-300ER but wow did the change back to the -700 model of 737 trip me. Forgot just how QUICK it is to cruise. Been in flight maybe 10 min as of post and nearing FL380 already! 6500ft to go!

Im nearing Switzerland and atc just said: Speedbird 551 contact Switzerland Center on 126.35. My FO repeats and confirms new frequency. I call out to Switzerland Center: Switzerland Center Speedbird 551, FL380. I then hear: “Speedbird 551 Switzerland Center Radar contact, continue to DIPIR.” Then as I was typing this I get handed off to Marseille and same exchange and then again with Geneva!! Btw why is this funny? DIPIR is said same way as DIAPER as in a baby diaper!! Aviation is wild sometimes. Yup im immature too lol

Edited by AlamoVampire

So here I am walking down a XVI-XVIII century town when, bam, a very familiar silhouette...

2XLYVDDA-y0.jpg?size=2560x1920&quality=9

The local space museum in Vyborg managed to get its hands on Soyuz TMA-3. And they've just left it outside the front door for now.

Posted (edited)

Doing a flight from my hometown to St. Louis in msfs and a UPS767 and a frontier airlines A320Neo took off a few minutes ahead of me. Im in a 737-700 flying as Southwest Airlines. Nothing new seeing Frontier or UPS in my area. But what made me giggle was catching up and then PASSING both aircraft! UPS had a solid 5 minute lead before my takeoff roll started and Frontier had about 2 minutes of lead. Both UPS and Frontier in this are REAL flights going on right now. Ive no idea how heavy UPS is, but its a 767 freighter im sure its heavy. Frontier is a low cost carrier so im certain that A320Neo is packed. As for me? 140 passengers and 7700 in payload. Im a HEAVY 737-700 had to trim to 6.90 on my horizontal stab for take off, most ive used in a LONG time. Im amused im going this quick in the climb. Winds are 262/081 quartering tailwind left to right tail to nose. 489kts ground speed and 449kts total airspeed nearing cruise now. Going to settle in at 0.81Mach soon as i level. Climb was 0.782Mach to FL370. At cruise, VNAV off. Auto throttle on MCP at .81 Mach. Too St. Louis!

landed in st louis and parked at A15. Was a nice flight :) 

Edited by AlamoVampire

Oh man just scared the daylights outta my cat. Msfs2020 is updating and i scanned its fixes list and it says they resolved an issue where AI ATC goes silent while my AI FO still responds. My knee jerk reaction to seeing that was a loud: FINALLY! And i heard a crash outside the room im in. My cat is lose in my house and my dog is in her room (senior aged pup north of 16 years, dachshund) and my cat just turned 8. When not on vatsim i use ai atc and am tired of it going silent. Happened yesterday (05232024) on a flight to KSTL. Yup i just nerded out over air traffic control lol.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Ryaja said:

Pics or it didnt happen. /s but kinda not

I didn't bother with trying. Was more fun to just watch and share the experience. It was the X1.03 from earlier.

It looked basically like a really bright filament that changed over several minutes.

Edited by cubinator