What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

I just got buzzed by a B-17 bomber! It was probably taking off from the regional airport nearby. I heard this loud roaring noise echoing off the houses walking home from school. Just as I looked up, a bomber only a few hundred feet above the ground went over my street, and I could instantly tell it was an old B-17. The thing went right over end of my street. I said, "Holy ****, that HUGE!" I ripped off my bag and opened my tablet's camera. I got a few decent pictures of the plane flying away, but it was RIGHT FREAKING THERE, barely clearing the trees. I would love to see a bunch of those in formation.

Today I met a girl who knows about as much about space as I do. We talked about black holes, interplanetary colonization, the ice moons of the outer solar system, and even ASI and BMIs. That's a pretty rare thing for me, and I'm sure many people here are in a similar situation in that regard. 

Just now, cubinator said:

Today I met a girl who knows about as much about space as I do. We talked about black holes, interplanetary colonization, the ice moons of the outer solar system, and even ASI and BMIs. That's a pretty rare thing for me, and I'm sure many people here are in a similar situation in that regard. 

Lucky you... I'd be willing to bet I'm the only person in my town of 3200 people that's this interested in space. If only I had a friend who was as interested in space as I was...

Does she play KSP?

Just now, Ultimate Steve said:

Lucky you... I'd be willing to bet I'm the only person in my town of 3200 people that's this interested in space. If only I had a friend who was as interested in space as I was...

It is quite rare indeed. She's three years below my grade, too. I guess it starts early and stays persistently afterwards.

Just now, Ultimate Steve said:

Does she play KSP?

I didn't ask her about that yet. Next time I talk to her I will, though.

Watched the iss fly over! (last night).... Man, watching from on the iss doesn`t give it any justice, that thing moves fast!

lol, my dad was so pumped when we saw it... After we argued about how to work the iss tracking app (what is that yellow thing?!) for about 10 minutes! :sticktongue: we`re a bunch of hard heads!

Edited by RoadRunnerAerospace

2 minutes ago, RoadRunnerAerospace said:

Watched the iss fly over! (last night).... Man, watching from on the iss doesn`t give it any justice, that thing moves fast!

lol, my dad was so pumped when we saw it... After we argued about how to work the iss tracking app (what is that yellow thing?!) for about 10 minutes! :sticktongue: we`re a bunch of hard heads!

Yeah, I see it go over now and then, and it never gets old! I keep thinking how bad I want to be up there looking down here!!!

:cool:

27 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Wow... Don't let her get away!!!  :)

40 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Wow... Don't let her get away!!!  :)

If anything I may be the one to get away, as I go off to college next year...Of course I will do my best to make sure that doesn't happen, and I have plenty of time to do it too.

Edited by cubinator

13 minutes ago, cubinator said:

If anything I may be the one to get away, as I go off to college next year...Of course I will do my best to make sure that doesn't happen, and I have plenty of time to do it too.

Smartest girl I ever knew... I let get away... like a DumbS... She was amazing, and we were such good friends. For example, one night we stayed up all night and slammed a huge bottle of wine and played trivia until dawn... Trivia!!! What a brain!!! 

But besides being super-smart, she was really super-cute, and I didn't think I had a chance... until after she was gone.  ;.;

Last I heard she's hiding up in Alaska somewhere... 

36 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Smartest girl I ever knew... I let get away... like a DumbS... She was amazing, and we were such good friends. For example, one night we stayed up all night and slammed a huge bottle of wine and played trivia until dawn... Trivia!!! What a brain!!! 

But besides being super-smart, she was really super-cute, and I didn't think I had a chance... until after she was gone.  ;.;

Last I heard she's hiding up in Alaska somewhere... 

So, go to Alaska, see if you can find her

8 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I'm in Florida... besides not knowing the first place to look for her, I'd freeze before I got halfway there (I'm a super wimp in the cold)

But it would be nice to know if she's OK.

Edited by Just Jim

1 minute ago, Just Jim said:
8 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I'm in Florida... besides not knowing the first place to look for her, I'd freeze before I got halfway there (I'm a super wimp in the cold)

Praise the cold weather! Here in the southern United States we can't wait till' summer is over and autumn arrives!

36 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

But it would be nice to know if she's OK.

Google is your friend.  You should be able to find her, and at least give her a call.

Besides, look at it this way:  No hurricanes in Alaska

3 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Google is your friend.  You should be able to find her, and at least give her a call.

Besides, look at it this way:  No hurricanes in Alaska

I know.... but the circumstances for her going into hiding... well, I can't say, other than they were heart wrenching.
I have a really funny feeling she knows exactly where I am... and if that is the case, then I'll wait until she's ready to call me.

As for something interesting today... we lost a couple nearby palm trees during the hurricane... big, thick ones... and the last few days we've had about double the numbers of birds out back. I think the ones from the lost palm trees are moving into our backyard trees. 

Yesterday i really could not sleep because of a helicopter that was hovering above our neighborhood. Turns out they where investigating some kind of criminal motorbike club with guns and weapons like that. Right near my house! Cool!

Also, i live near a place where they store nuclear bombs! Also cool!

40 minutes ago, NSEP said:

helicopter

Oh, okay.

41 minutes ago, NSEP said:

hovering above our neighborhood.

The only times that happens for me is when they are cropdusting.

investigating

*Puts on detective hat*

criminal motorbike club

Not three words you want to hear next to each other.

42 minutes ago, NSEP said:

with guns

More words you don't want to hear together...

42 minutes ago, NSEP said:

Right near my house

Must be an interesting neighborhood.

43 minutes ago, NSEP said:

nuclear bombs

I'm imagining a movie playing inside my head in which a criminal motorbike club with guns steals a helicopter and then a nuclear bomb but then NSEP attacks them and disarms the bomb a second before it's going to go off.

44 minutes ago, NSEP said:

cool

Man, my life is boring...

1 hour ago, NSEP said:

Yesterday i really could not sleep because of a helicopter that was hovering above our neighborhood. Turns out they where investigating some kind of criminal motorbike club with guns and weapons like that. Right near my house! Cool!

Also, i live near a place where they store nuclear bombs! Also cool!

Neat. Since when did the Netherlands store nukes?

12 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Neat. Since when did the Netherlands store nukes?

Since (yade yade yade politics yade yade yade not allowed on this forum yade yade yade) existed. They store them in Rotterdam to be exact, and since everything in the Netherlands is so small, everything here is 'close'. don't know if they already moved or disarmed them. They are not ours though.

Edited by NSEP